Need a new camera

Mines set for Raw and Fine., Fine is Jpeg. Raw is the best with max data.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The thing that gets me with cameras is shutter lag, The time it takes to record the image after pressing the shutter Some are so slow that the thing you were trying to take is not even there anymore

Depends where you're standing. !! Trying telling that to the folks who are standing on "Coris Corner" in the Welsh mountains. And these fellows were certainly less than 1000 feet away when they

This discussion is really taking off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now thats the way to go , 32 gig class 10 sdhc card ,What a difference in speed between a class 4 camera sounds like its about to fly apart

Just remember, the larger the card the more you can store and the downside, the more you can lose if it fails. Mines a 16Gig card and reading what the pros say, I wished I'd bought two 8 Gig cards.

Card failure never entered my mind when I bought the 16 Gig card. Either that, or keep a laptop with you and download everything to it ASAP....

I hear what you say John , but stop panicking, I've used 32 gig SDHC cards for ages, and took thousands upon thousands of shots, I've never lost one due to a malfunctioning memory card ! (Being a crap photographer has cost me loads though !!)

Never heard of Murphy Ian........LOL I rarely panic, if crap hits the fan then it's "oh well"

I saw that they now make a 128 & 256 gig sd card $150 for the 256 on sale of course

Now thats a lot of pictures

Personally, I cant see any point in a card that big for a camera,

Its OK for mass storage/backup.

I have 16gb card, and it would be difficult to fill it with pics from a camera.

I filled two 8 gig compact flash cards once, at the three airshows that I did consecutively last summer (Waddington Sunday, Flying legends at Duxford the following Sunday and 5 days a RIAT ) and I'm still wading through them (I kid you not)

As I took them all on the old EOS 40d they're a lot 'darker' than I would have liked , subsequently every one needs a tweek and only one in three is actually usable ! Where as with the EOS 550D every one is usable, resulting in less photos being taken and less editing !

Going to give RAW a go this airshow season. 32 gig will do around 4 and a half thousand on 'normall setting but only around 950 on RAW, so I need a couple of 32s .....LOL

I think the main reason the pros go for a larger number of smaller cards is not so much to protect against malfunction as loss! However, the pros that I know all back up their pics (raw) to a hard drive as soon as possible after they are taken (typically on-site to a laptop), and then to "cloud" storage as soon as possible after that. The card is not erased until all the photos are stored (and verified) in two other locations.

By the way, there was much discussion here a few years ago about archiving to CDs or DVDs. This is O.K. provided the discs are properly stored. If the disc is exposed to ANY light, over a period of time (varies depending on the light strength), the disk WILL be damaged and everything on it lost. It was at that time those who needed long-term archive storage switched to cloud storage.

I've made that point a couple of times on here and many times on other sites Eric, keep all CD'DVD's away from sunlight, and make at least two copies of photos.

Your right about storing your pics. Mine are mostly on Flickr, but it's not too generous when you upload them any where.

I back them all up to an external Tera? bite hard drive (Is it that size Mick, you were with me when I bought it !?) but I don't back them up to disc (After that discussion on here a few years back funnily enough!!) as I would need about 1000 discs to store what I have now, costing about £250 , where as the external HD cost 50 quid, and there's an awful lot of room left on there.

Mind you, up on saying that , I've never up loaded them anywhere else to check the quality, but I shouldn't think they'll lose any.

Hard drives are notorious for failing Ian, make sure you save to DVD's too. There's a photographer on Steves digicam site who did a wedding, was short of time and downloaded every picture to his external hard drive...Yep it crashed mechanically..Embarrassing to say the least for a pro who should have known different.

Happy outcome, he sent the drive off to a data recovery company who specialize in hard drive failure data recovery, they removed the platters and recovered all his photos for him, AT A COST!! But better not to lose custom when you're in that game for a living.

I also picked up, the guys in wedding photo business usually use two cameras just in case too.

Mind you, back in the old 35mm days we could get a bad roll of film, or the back of the camera open by accident, so it's still the same game with a different set of hurdles.

Never heard of a HD failing.Ever,! I've even took the liberty of asking on 2 of my aircraft photograhy forums, and nobody on there has come across it either.!

I too have more than one camera with me at all times. 2 all the time 3 sometimes even 4 counting the little compact, 5 if you count my phone , 6 with the wifes ....(Gordon Bennet , I'm Tommy Tourist !!!)

I back them all up to an external Tera? bite hard drive (Is it that size Mick, you were with me when I bought it !?)

Yes we bought one each, good deal at Overclockers.

I have a 16oGB and 360GB and have not filled that yet.

THe 1TB is still unused as yet.

My wife's had a hard drive failed, I've a few friends who have had to replace failed hard drives Ian.

Even the manufacturer's figures estimate between 2% - 4% fail, but the estimates are 13% fail through one thing or another, mostly failed bearings.

The problem with manufacturers figures are they probably represent warranty exchanges, the 13 % estimate is all failures from new to out of warranty's

Anyone who trusts all their data to be safe on a hard drive is risking their valuable data and the clock is running on a bet they will eventually lose.

If anyone wants to ignore my advise, that's their problem, BUT, it is to make at least two backups of your valuable data, with at least one on CD or DVDs, and the other on some other form of media.

Hard drives can crash through software corruption making it impossible to recover the data, fail through bearing failure, and the electronics on the HD's main board can fail through any number of reasons from heat to static to a mains surge.

NEVER say NEVER, it could come back and bite you on the butt.

I've seen many electrical and electronic faults during my working career that I said were impossible, but they happened, some a total mystery.

Software and electronics still remain an enigma when it comes to Murphys law, they obey it right down to the last letter.

I kept losing the final transistors in one of my radios, totally impossible, the power supply was reading a stable 13.8volts. My antenna was a flat 1:1, baffled me and a Tech I knew. At 90 bucks a pop, it was starting to get expensive!! I ordered another matched pair, fourth set, and replaced them, my Tech friend put the rig on the bench and we tested it looking at a scope trace, perfect, nothing wrong. This was getting to be a cow!!

I took the rig home, connected everything up, reduced the RF power down to a few watts and keyed up, checked on all ham bands that I had an antenna for and no problems. So I increased power went to my favorite band and shouted CQ and noticed the dial lamp was getting brighter on the peaks of my voice, I watched the voltmeter on my power supply and it was moving up to15 volts. RF was getting into my power supply somehow.

Turned out to be an electrolytic Capacitor had come adrift inside the power supply, one that shunted RF to ground.

Just simple things like that can cause major problems Ian...

Also, remember where 99% of HD's are made now, that should warn you you are living on borrowed time........CHINESE!!

I had never had a hard drive fail either - until it did! Wiped ALL the media off the platter so it was unrecoverable. This was a drive in a desktop machine that had run reliably for years. I did take it to a recovery place who actually said they had never seen one like it!

Over the years I have known many, many hard drive failures - the moral is, back up anything you do not wish to lose. A second external hard drive, or get a cloud account. Just 'cause it has never happened doesn't mean it won't! Alternatively, get a raid system that duplicates the data over several drives. However, if the controller fails, you are still in trouble (yes, I have known one of those to fail too).

I give up Ian...Waste of time trying to help and pass on advice from experience.

I had never had a hard drive fail either - until it did! Wiped ALL the media off the platter so it was unrecoverable. This was a drive in a desktop machine that had run reliably for years. I did take it to a recovery place who actually said they had never seen one like it!

Over the years I have known many, many hard drive failures - the moral is, back up anything you do not wish to lose. A second external hard drive, or get a cloud account. Just 'cause it has never happened doesn't mean it won't! Alternatively, get a raid system that duplicates the data over several drives. However, if the controller fails, you are still in trouble (yes, I have known one of those to fail too).

I give up Ian...Waste of time trying to help and pass on advice from experience.

Good , I'm not stopping you trying to pass on "Advise from experience* . But you might start to talk the truth between you occasionally too.!

(or do you want me to elaborate ?????)

Ive got a laptop that I would like to get working again, mainly because its got MS Word on it.

I suspect failing hard drive, it wont even boot into Safe Mode.

I have run it from Linux on a CD.

Yes Spider one day we will meet up and I will let you look at it.

I had a new ASUS computer that would eat a hard drive every month it went back to them 3 & it got so regular that tech support would just send me a new drive before i canned it

It wasntt the hard drive that was failling it would just wipe the OS I now have 5 1Tb hard drives that are now formatted ready to go all with Win 7 on them

How do you find 7???? I have a copy, just haven't loaded it on yet.

Way better than anything else never had any probs

Except my CNC machine is made to run XP so that is what it is staying on

If it aint broke dont fix it

I did buy a thing that you can just drop a hard drive in so you can use a hard drive externally it also does laptop drives

My laptop had lost its charge socket so i needed to be able to get everything off the 2.5 in drive

• 3 weeks later...

Back to cameras

I just picked up a set of 3 studio flashes with umbrellas ,case & stands $150 . Garage sale just happened to see them as i was driving past

Checked on Ebay $799 bin same set original price $1900

Just make sure they are TTL flashes!! If they are standard flashes like the ones we used on 35mm cameras, goodbye to your digital camera!!!!!!!