Need a new camera

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The thing that gets me with cameras is shutter lag, The time it takes to record the image after pressing the shutter Some are so slow that the thing you were trying to take is not even there anymore

Depends where you're standing. !! Trying telling that to the folks who are standing on "Coris Corner" in the Welsh mountains. And these fellows were certainly less than 1000 feet away when they

This discussion is really taking off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mines always big, photos that is..........

New Nikon 3200 24.4 megapixel with lens $699 wait for the sale

By the way we are back from San Francisco with lots of wins that we didnt think we had a chance & my Dog got her championship ,Best puppy,Best of winners,Award of Merit & also quallified for Crufts.

Took lots of pics but someone else's mem card ran out so i gave them mine out of my camera, Doubt if i will see that one again.

Those new cameras eat cards

Hey Compo, did you think your question would develop into this?

Had a feeling it might <g>

what do you have to do to make them bigger

Are you posting the thumbnail picture? With Picasa I open the folder and then open the picture so it is large on my screen. Then I right click - 'copy url' and when I put it into 'stalgia it comes out big.

Worrabaht these 'ere hybrids? They are pocket sized with changeable lenses. Damned expensive but are they worth it?

Never tried one.

Seriously, I suggest you try an entry level Canon DSLR (From around £350, this should include the 18-55mm kit lens.) Then add lenses and upgrade as suits you . One thing to remember is that Canons hold their value very well, so when you upgrade sell your old one, I have a spare 40d that I paid £380 for 3/4 years ago and they're still selling for around that now on ebay. This is 10.1 megs etc, takes fantastic shots (That competition winner was taken on it)

What you do have to remember is that the camera is only as good as A. The lens on the front of it, and B. The bloke (Or blokess) who's taking the shots and C. The editing suite that you use.

Here's an example of what you can do just using a DSLR as a 'point and shoot'

This came over as I was typing that last post. I just grabbed the camera and as I headed for the door , I removed the lens cap , switched it on and extended the lens (2 seconds to readiness) point and shoot 2 shots. Came back in up loaded , edited , et voila:-

7195017560_7659a16ace_b.jpg

7195017422_c17bcbc6ae_b.jpg

Mr Batchelors Eurocopter EC-130

One thing you did not mention Compo is your budget?

BTW Very Well done DGbrit.

We look forward to seeing the pictures in the members interest area. :)

What size of lens did you use for the helicopter pictures Beefsteak?

Some good software that doesn't break the bank is also useful for editing, I use Corel Paintshop Photo ProX3, as theres always something you miss, or screwup, like it's too dark, or too light, or "I missed that friggin tree being there growing out of the missus head"!! Well it's so easy to correct light problems and chop that tree out of the missus head.

You can also size photos real easy with it, it also works in RAW mode, if your camera takes in RAW.

The comments regarding a viewfinder are interesting - 'cause I used to think the same thing. However, with a little re-training (of myself!) I have found I now prefer to take pics of moving objects (typically racing cars or motorcycles) using the screen as I can actually "track" the subject better and have a better idea of the overall surroundings. It did take some getting used to, and does not work well in bright sunlight, but I find I definitely pan better than when holding the camera to my face! - Yes, my Nikon does have a viewfinder, the L810 does not.

I also like the look of the new Nikon N1 - but damn, it is expensive and I suspect the lenses are expensive too!

Neat idea the interchangeable lens, $549 upwards.

Dslrs sound great. If I only have £400 would I perhaps be better buying a used DSLR? Given that I should get a better quality camera for the same price?

That was my 100-400 mm Paul, but it was quite a distance.

It does get a tad annoying when they're a lot closer and you can't get them in ........... slywink

7145478307_dfdc24713b_b.jpg

In answer to your last question Paul , most definately , yes. (especially if you get a Canon, as I said , they hold their resale value very well, so if you want to get a better one in future you can trade in.)

Some of the earlier DSLRs like the one I mentioned on ebay.

I have had mine for 7 years, took it to the US rather than my new 60D.

Great results. Godd entry level DSL so you can decide if thats what you need.

I did buy a 30D last year just to get the lens that was with it.

It was a great camera but the lens went faulty and I had to get a refund.