Need a new camera

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The thing that gets me with cameras is shutter lag, The time it takes to record the image after pressing the shutter Some are so slow that the thing you were trying to take is not even there anymore

Depends where you're standing. !! Trying telling that to the folks who are standing on "Coris Corner" in the Welsh mountains. And these fellows were certainly less than 1000 feet away when they

This discussion is really taking off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just got back from Costco and looked at all their digital cameras - if I were going for one, I would go for the Fuji Finepix S4500 - similar specs to the Nikon L810 but has a viewfinder, and seemed easier to use. The best one was a Nikon P510 that has amazing zoom capabilities, but almost twice the price of the Fuji. The Fuji also uses standard AA batteries which I like, and was on sale for $219.00 - not a bad deal!

Thanks for all the input, gang, it has been extremely enlightening. A friend has very generously offered me the loan of a DSLR camera so that I can see if it suits me or if I only need something less fancy. I shall post my views after a trial period. On-on!

If we have a Nottstalgia photographic outing.

Anyone can borrow my Canon 300D to use instead of their compact.

I will also bring a spare lightweight tripod.

Saw an ad in the local paper (OZ) this morning for a Nikon D4. Sounds very impressive and so cheap.....I might buy 2...Ha Ha!

$AUD6,999-00

The thing that gets me with cameras is shutter lag, The time it takes to record the image after pressing the shutter

Some are so slow that the thing you were trying to take is not even there anymore

• Upvote 1

yeh well done dg brit hope you make crufts next year if you do you could pop up to nottingham for a few days and meet up with us and some of your old ace mates.

After reading the reviews of the Fuji I was looking at - I changed my mind! Not a great camera, it turns out, with a very poor lens! However, I was so impressed with the Nikon L810 that I ordered one! Price was $236.50 with free delivery! According to the UPS tracker, it should be here later today!

Now I need to open a photobucket account (or similar).

"The thing that gets me with cameras is shutter lag, The time it takes to record the image after pressing the shutter

Some are so slow that the thing you were trying to take is not even there anymore"

Mines almost instantaneous, Nikon D5000.

I think its more on the point & shoot type cameras

The Panasonic Lumix Zs5 i had was very Quick & extreemly good at Video

But i dropped it & buggered the lens

The new one Samsung Wi/Fi WB150 also very good for a point & shoot now has a crack in the lens dont know where that came from

But i dont think these are what they call pocket cameras,

The choice of the 2 would be the Panasonic they are both long zoom & the wi/Fi upload & remote view is nice on the Samsung but i prefer the panasonic just felt more natural to use .

I am still using my Nikon D70 until i can get something else it seems like something new comes out every week, I do have a bunch of good lenses for the Nikon so i am kinda stuck unless i unload all the lenses on fleabay then i could buy a nice Cannon

yeh well done dg brit hope you make crufts next year if you do you could pop up to nottingham for a few days and meet up with us and some of your old ace mates.

Would love to but it costs so much to Transport the dog. We did it once & it came to about $3000

The prize money Sucks anyway (100 pounds for Best in show).

We used to have a lot of shutter lag in the 35mm film days, but it was known as developing and processing....LOL

Seems to me that a LOT of the "shutter lag" on all the digital cameras (including the DSLRs) is actually "focus lag"! I noticed it on my old Nikon, and the new one, but I notice it on Mary's Canon DSLR too. The trick is to half depress the shutter button to get it to focus - then take the pic. I think the reason you do not notice it so much on the DSLRs is because you are watching the focus through the lens. The new Nikon has a "focus zone" display that is normally white, but turns green when focus is achieved - if you wait for that to happen, it then fires instantly and the time for it to focus doesn't seem any longer than any other "auto focus" system.

On that score then Eric, the old auto SLR's had the same problem. I understand there can be a lag with DSLR's with rapid shooting, due to the camera's CPU needs time to process each frame, some of that has been overcome by faster memory cards.

I can live with it, all technology has some drawbacks, which are either overcome of forgotten about when the next generation comes along..In our case cameras.

Who could afford film these days

I remember i bought a 250 shot roll back for my nikon & would blow it all in a weekend then spend a day or more developing & printing about 10% of what i took

The Digital has taken most of the work & expense out of taking pics,

I wont be buying anymore Point & shoot cameras i am too hard on them .

I can fire 4.5 frames a second traking something moving very fast (Fighter jet for example) with my DSLR and not loose focus. It's another one of the 'magic' settings that comes with the "You get what you pay for" tag

Unless the fighter is closer than about 100ft, the lens doesn't need to re-focus - it will be at infinity!

I doubt that you have a lens that is still focusing much closer than 500ft - and by law, that fighter is at least 1000ft away from you if it is in the air!

Who could afford film these days

I remember i bought a 250 shot roll back for my nikon & would blow it all in a weekend then spend a day or more developing & printing about 10% of what i took

The Digital has taken most of the work & expense out of taking pics,

I wont be buying anymore Point & shoot cameras i am too hard on them .

There's still a load of 35mm film in my fridge, doubt I'll ever bother with it again.