Need a new camera

Depends where you're standing. !!

Trying telling that to the folks who are standing on "Coris Corner" in the Welsh mountains.

And these fellows were certainly less than 1000 feet away when they whizzed by me at aroung 250mph

7217690228_aa03a59410_b.jpg

7217690574_b1af07aa59_b.jpg

7217689870_95cb5697d9_b.jpg

7217689662_bc42f11bdb_b.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The thing that gets me with cameras is shutter lag, The time it takes to record the image after pressing the shutter Some are so slow that the thing you were trying to take is not even there anymore

Depends where you're standing. !! Trying telling that to the folks who are standing on "Coris Corner" in the Welsh mountains. And these fellows were certainly less than 1000 feet away when they

This discussion is really taking off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fantastic photos beefsteak! If only I could frame my shots like that!

Decision made gang. SWMBO has bought me a Canon 550D and as soon as it arrives I shall be playing with it. I'll let you give a verdict when you see my efforts.

Thanks to all for the valuable advice, especially Beefsteak, who pointed me in the right direction, making the choice less fraught. SWMBO is now thinking of buying herself a super zoom bridge camera too.

Fantastic photos beefsteak! If only I could frame my shots like that!

A bit of practice and you will mate. Glad you went for the 550 , my own 'weapon of choice'

That was what pointed me in that particular direction; I bow to your skill and experience.

thumbsup

Now you just have to start saving for the "Big Boys" Lens !! ( only about 12 hundred quid ) but don't tell Mrs Compo !

Are you telling me that they are landing at 250mph?

Yeah, on full after burner too !!!!"

Now just admit you're wrong and leave it eh ?!

Are you telling me that they are landing at 250mph?

:huh:

I may be wrong but in all my years in the Air Force I never saw a plane landing with afterburners roaring and wheels retracting.

According to Canon, in AI Servo mode (continuous focus), the furthest distance it will work at is about 13m (43ft) with a Canon 300mm f/2.8 IS L lens.

But, of course, they could be wrong!

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/camera-autofocus.htm

And of course you still have to try and get the last (Wrong) word in!

That site is nothing to do with Canon so how it can be "According to Canon" is beyond me.!

I don't use a 300mm lens, and if you ever bothered to read anything correctly you would know that !

But of course, I could be wrong.

But then again I can tell the difference between a plane taking off and one landing !!

I am sorry you are wrong about your camera Ian, why not admit it rather than try to belittle me.

Perhaps both could be right - from different points of view?

compusmash

So at the end of the day, you're saying that I'm imagining that those planes weren't less than 1000 feet away, and that they were actually landing and not taking off, that I didn't use the AI Servo mode, that every other user of my camera/lens combo doesn't know something that you don't, and that you're not trying to belittle me too with you're constant harping on about !!

According to the regulations, the planes were at least 1500ft away if they were travelling over 282mph, 1000ft if they were over 181mph, and 500ft below that. I agree they were taking off - but with gear, flaps and slats extended there is no way they were going 250mph. They go into max climb mode at that point to keep the speed DOWN so that they don't start ripping things off. As an example, Vr (speed at rotation) of a FULLY LOADED F-16 is 120mph. Show aircraft are never fully loaded and often specially prepped for show use - the F-18s used by the Blue Angels weigh about half that of an operational F-18 with no live weaponry!

I have no doubt you had your camera in AF mode. The point is that if it is focused on anything more than 100ft away then the focus is at infinity and it will NOT be refocusing - so time to focus does not come into play. In fact, if you check the Canon Professional website, you will see that with fast moving objects (they give a race car as an example), you are likely to get some blurry pictures in AI Servo mode because the AF system cannot keep up!

I am not harping about it - you are trying to prove something that is plainly incorrect. I am simply trying to set the record straight so that people do not think ANY camera is actually re-focusing when the object is in the "infinity" range. The Canon site also gives a "rule of thumb" as to where that starts - multiply the focal length (in mm) by 50. Anything closer requires focusing closer than infinity. So with a 400mm lens it is about 20m or 75ft. AF systems do NOT use "hyperfocal length" so beyond the focusing distance they will go to infinity. If you want maximum depth of field you must manually focus to the hyperfocal point.

Sorry I forgot to run out with a tape measure and a radar gun before I took my photos so I can only go by the physical evidence that follows shortly if you want to see it !?

At Mothercare anall !!..................................... slywink