Need a new camera

Me camera's bosted and I need a new one. Question is:

Do I go for an expensive pictbrige or an entry lever DSLR?

Fors and agins please.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The thing that gets me with cameras is shutter lag, The time it takes to record the image after pressing the shutter Some are so slow that the thing you were trying to take is not even there anymore

Depends where you're standing. !! Trying telling that to the folks who are standing on "Coris Corner" in the Welsh mountains. And these fellows were certainly less than 1000 feet away when they

This discussion is really taking off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think you have to sit down and make some lists to decide whether you need to go to the expense of a DSLR, Bridge or simple camera.

Do you need the versatility of a DSLR??? For every day photos, indoors and out, odd landscape a simple camera will suffice, next step up is the bridge camera, they usually come in high pixel range, zoom lense and not hard to operate. The old Kodak range of Bridge cameras took some great pictures, my wife uses one for her business and it takes some really great photos, I even took one of hers and enlarged it to see when pixellation starts, and it surprised me.

I bought a DSLR a couple of years ago as I wanted versatility, but it does come at a high price.

Here's a good site to see amateurs and pros alike with photos taken from a broad spectrum of cameras. http://forums.steves-digicams.com/

DSLR every time !

Instant point and shoot, auto focus, loads of different chances to mess up every shot you take, can't fault it !!...LOL

BUT, Ian, that's like someone saying they need a new vehicle, and you saying buy a large 4WD pickup, when all the bloke needs is a small two seater compact car, and never will use the bed.

When anyone posts what camera do I buy, the first questions that should be asked is "What do you want to use it for"? Outside work, inside family snapshots, sports or whatever.

Sure a DSLR is great, it's an all rounder to some extent, has lens change capability, it is also heavy cumbersome and expensive, does Compo want a heavy, bulky camera with a truck load of accessories, or would a P&S work equally well for his needs??? If not, then would a "Bridge" camera be the best choice???

Now my missus needs a decent camera that will take photos inside houses and outside houses for her business, a DSLR would be too much for her and cumbersome, her needs are one lens that does all, high resolution for her clients advertising, so she chose a Bridge camera, does everything she needs in a compact light camera.

I chose a DSLR basically for the same reasons you and Mick did, versatility, we don't mind carrying a bag of accessories and lenses.

There's no lens fits all for what we need, so a DSLR is indispensable to us.

So what are your needs photo wise Compo.?

Just got a new camera a Panasonic Lumix its ideal for me because i am not very professional , i just point and shoot

So I'm not allowed an opinion now ??

There was a clue in the .....LOL at the end !

Glad you Admins read all of a post before deciding to comment on it............ slywink

Yeah but.... I read the LOL as plenty of chances of screwing up, same goes with any camera.... I can screw up with a Brownie box camera...

I went through all this a couple of years back when I decided on a DSLR, do I need one??? Or do I need something lesser.

Next breed of DSLR's will be mirrorless, less parts to age and wear out. From what I hear, one is already due for marketing.

Still would be nice if someone came up with a cartridge to fit in the film cassette area of the old SLR film cameras to make them digital, similar to that April fool advert a few years back, they would be on a money making product!!

Steady on lads! I'm asking for views on the advantages versus disadvantages of Pictbridge and DSLR cameras.

I have been looking at the top-of-the-range pictbridge; they look good but reviews say that the quality of photo is not so good. I am considering a Pentax K-r DSLR. There is one with a two lens deal on the net, 18-55 and 55-200mm focal length. Is 200 mm big enough for photographing critters? or do I need 600mm? If so then I must go for a pictbridge. I'm fed up with going to places and not getting the photos I want. For example: In Sri Lanka there was a leopard up a tree and with my 5x optical zoom compact I couldn't get a photo of it worth looking at twice.

All advice considered before taking the plunge.

Me dad always swore by (or at) his Kodak 127 Brownie, available on ebay............................

I have used a Nikon compact (Coolpix) for several years. It has been very reliable and takes great pictures. It has been left behind in the pixel count, but is plenty good enough for most stuff that I need a camera for. However, if I wanted to move up a little, and did not want the expense and complication of a DSLR, I would be very interested in a Coolpix L810 - It has the equivalent of a 22.4mm - 585mm zoom lens, can do video and has enough variety in the programming to do anything you want - or you can go to manual settings too! At 16.1M pixels, you can easily blow up pictures with no pixelation! List price here is $279.95 but I easily found them as low as $249.99.

May be a very good alternative to a DSLR and several lenses?

I should add that Mary has a Canon DSLR so I do have access to that if I need it - but it is a PITA to haul it around if we are being tourists somewhere - so the old Coolpix gets dragged along instead (fits in my pocket). For the most part, we really do not need the DSLR.

Like I said, we want to know what you have in mind, bridge cameras these days are excellent for none complicated photo taking.

Here's a photo taken with my wife's Kodak bridge camera, the camera is about 8Mp if I remember with a 30x zoom lens. She just said bigger than8 so probably 10Mp then.

jan2009icestorm03.jpg

That was a picture of the ice storm we had in January of 2009, the worst in living memory, that is all ice NOT snow..

I have one but you can't get the film anymore.

Good response Compo..........................Sorry I butted into your serious conflab about proper camera's .............judging by some of the photo's you've posted, you are good enough a 'togroffer not to need anything better than you have.

Just got a new digi camera Panasonic Lumix its just the job for me, still working my way around the thing you can do with it it takes 3D pics as well but not tried that yet

I love the quality of the modern compact digitals.

The quality of results is comparable to DSLRs

HOWEVER, trying to compose reasonable or follow a moving subject is virtually impossiblewithout a viewfinder.

Ian would struggle to take his photographs with Kats little compact.

DSLR every time for me for serious work.

Compo see if you can pick up a cheap early DSLR, like my Canon Rebel 6mp (Sorry US model)

I'm probably like most on here. I bought a Canon Eos DSLR when they were at 10mpxl. It is a good camera but as others have noted is bulky and fairly heavy. Bought my wife a little Canon Powershot. Much smaller but the pic quality is great. I mostly do Hi Def video and my Canon Vixia also takes excellent pictures even though only rated at 3.5 mp for still shots. Consequently the Canon DSLR. Tends to get left at home. Probably couldn't get much for it if I tried to sell it now.

Get an all dancing all singing top of the range does it all camera with a point and shoot setting on it.

Summed up in one sentence!! Everything should be; the better the tool, the easier to use......................