Interesting Journeys on a Bus Pass / Pass

When I was awarded my bus pass a few years ago, I recall sitting on the Tram - stationery at Phoenix Park - and shouting out loud: "Yippee!" - nobody was around thankfully; I felt like a kid again.

Since that eventful day, I've enjoyed many days out, courtesy of this treasure: the humble bus pass.

Do you possess a bus pass/pass that has given you pleasurable/ memorable journeys? :biggrin:

I certainly do - but as I worked for the railway for 35 years I also still have concessionary train travel as well (and that's nationwide). My wife was caught by the age thing, so she did not get a pass at 60 and has only just received it - but she is now making up for lost time !

Last year, by using my bus pass, I made it from Nottingham to Mablethorpe for the cost of £4.

I was testing to see if I could make the journey for free; the problem was at Newark, where I'd missed the Lincoln bus at 11am and the next one wasn't until 4pm in the afternoon. I therefore had to pay £4 on the train to Lincoln.

Lesson learnt: If I'd have caught an earlier bus - say around 9am on Friar Lane - the journey would have cost nothing! :)

Hi Jackson,happy to see you getting out and about on your bus pass.

"I felt like a kid again", does that mean you're a grown up?

Tried a couple of times to be a 'grown up',hard work it was.People expected me to conform to their way!

I make toy soldiers for a living,you can't call that a 'grown up' job,can you?

Think you might have had to pay something Jackson as before I think 9.30am bus pass not valid (might be wrong on the time?) but that was the case when I went to Bury to collect my last car previous to one I have now, caught the Trans Peak to Derby and had to pay to there, by then it was "free time" so without getting off got a Derby to Manchester ticket FOC, at the latter got a tram to Bury which was brilliant, unlike our "Shams". then the fun really started, driving round Manchester in snow to get back! Would be interested to hear your account of buses caught etc to mablethorpe, that sort of trip appeals to me

It would be interesting to see if you could do John o' Groats to Lands End, might need a flask and a few sandwich's though

Unfortunately not - the bus pass is only valid in England (unless you live in Scotland of course, in which case it's not valid in England). So I guess Lands End to Berwick on Tweed or Carlisle is about the limit. I did try working it out with on-line timetables a couple of years ago (yes, I know I'm a saddo). There were some surprising gaps that it was hard to bridge without going on long circuitous detours. You'd need a tent as well as the flask and sandwiches! I think it took about a week.

Yep just come  back from Buxton today on my fare dodging pass its great, been to  Chesterfield , Bakewell , Newark  not all in one day tho lol  The journey home was done in double quick time as the driver was Superman and he filled up on kryptonite, like going round corners on 2 wheels lol

They keep moving the date that I can get mine!

I think they have removed any discount from local train services?

I dont know what happens with the trams?

Apparently I could have had mine at 60.....................although SWMBO says that she'd pack me up with flask & sarnies for the day & send me touring 'the marsh', so I've not applied

I'm off this week to visit: Leicester's 'New Walk' Museum, where there's an interesting Exhibition on Saris. :)

I'm the proud owner of a golden yellow sari - beautiful it is - I bought it in an Antique shop many years ago; I've never worn it, perhaps I'll get some ideas.

A Sari is a length of cotton/silk cloth draped round the body; worn as the main garment - chiefly by women of the Indian sub continent (Hindi religion).

PS: Interesting fact about this Museum: As you're about to enter the building, you'll meet a vast display of Butterfly motifs embedded in the concrete. :unsure:

A while ago bus pass holders were called twirleys,they'd get on a bus at 9-15 and say to the driver "am a to early"

Memo to myself:

I need to check up on the opening times for Southwell Workhouse; I rather fancy a trip out to learn something new.

Oh! and then there's that trip to Leicester I must check up on. I am a busy lady . . . . :)