Fresh Air Walks, not far from home that: "dun't cost much".

Sometimes, working in the garden's not enough, I need to escape to some good, fresh air. So, I tidy myself up, coat on, unhook the car keys and take a short journey to Melbourne Road park.

Here lies a vast expanse of green, the tallest trees reach up to the widest sky and the fresh air around is of the purest kind.

My walk begins by passing the backs of the houses on Melbourne Road, then turning left to pass the Aspley Lane allotments; I advance towards the backs of the houses on Western Blvd, turning left again to walk up past the sports pavilion. The first stage of my walk completed; enthusiastically I do it again . . .

Second stage completed and with a face tingling from the dew in the wind and good fresh air in my lungs, I head towards my car and the rest of my day. :)

• Upvote 2

Jackson; What memories that evoked, last on Mebourne Park in mid 60's, often we kids did that route on bikes, timing each other for fastest tims, don't ever recall winning, but thanks for the memory jog.............I must remember to go there on my next treip 'home'...................

PSSST Poohbear, I think her avatar is a young "Valerie Singleton" of Blue Peter fame !!

Hi Paulus, I played on Melbourne Road park as a kid - 50's - and the place is still a winner for a good, long walk. :)

Hope you've recovered from your 'Dare Devil' exploit.

First started playing on Melbourne aged about 10, 1961, it was great to play on the railway lines behind the Nuthall Rd Pig Farm, when a little older self & friends would congregate at the pavilion most evenings 62/63. Do you remember Barry Covell, his dad sold kindling wood around Aspley? They were part of the Covelli Ice cream family

Oh forgot to say..............Thanks Jackson, I'm now full recovered from the Friday night event!! Which I ratherr hoped would have won me some accolade from the Moderator Fiscal!!....... slywink

Incidentally Pooh Bear, I saw a lovely couple of dogs - same breed as in your photo strip - a few days ago on the above mentioned park. One of them eagerly came running towards me and then ran off; I was so disappointed as I love 'talking' to animals. :)

:) Paulus, when I was a kid there used to be high banks on Melbourne Rd park, just as you came out of the park gates; we used to be able to play hide and seek on them - these are no longer there.

Sorry, I didn't know of the Covelli family. 'Kindling wood', was this a bundle of chopped wood (like thick sticks) held together with a metal strip? Occasionally sold at Hardware shops.

As for the pavilion, I have used this on a few occasions for the purpose of changing - as a schoolgirl, Melbourne Road park was our hockey field.

Incidentally Pooh Bear, I saw a lovely couple of dogs - same breed as in your photo strip - a few days ago on the above mentioned park. One of them eagerly came running towards me and then ran off; I was so disappointed as I love 'talking' to animals. :)

97432409.jpg

• Upvote 1

Look at that face...................Barbra Streisand..................... slywink . The lyrics could have been written for you..........................lol

I have to visit Bulwell today, pay some bills - I like to get them out of the way.

I plan to stop off on the way back; take a walk around Bulwell Forest area; breathe in some good, fresh air . . . :)

Notts CC used to publish walks leaflets. I recall there being some really nice countryside footpath walks around the East and North of the county.