I don't think it's had much TV use at all. It's a regency mansion, not really a castle any way. lt doesn't look like most people's idea of a castle, and it certainly doesn't look like most people's idea of what Nottingham castle ought to be.

If it was used, it's more likely to be used as something other than a castle, where it can just be "a location"

But there is a lengthy sequence in the film of "Saturday Night Sunday Morning"

Nottingham Castle was owned by the 1st Duke of Newcastle its earlier than Regency he never actually lived in it he used it to host parties and Balls for his friends It was built in the latr 1600s on the site of the first medieval castle as you know there are lots of caves under the castle the most famous one being Mortimers Hole

Re: 'Saturday Night and Sunday Morning'; very atmospheric the scene at Nottingham castle - with the early evening smog, of early Autumn's October. :mellow:

I have a home cinema with a 10ft screen so every few months on goes the film and I'am back again carrying the tools and walking the streets,one of my childhood friends had an uncle who was an extra on the film the one in the gab raincoat walking around the castle.....

:) Cliff Ton, I know 'Saturday Night and Sunday Morning', back to front - I've watched it that many times - and there is definately a night scene round about Nottingham Castle area: Arthur and Brenda are walking along by the side of a wall.

:) Trevorthegasman, you obviously enjoy watching 'Sat Night and Sun Morning' every now and again - just like me. I never tire of watching the good, gritty, realist films of the 1960's: 'Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner' is also a favourite as is 'Billy Liar'. Some wonderful actors/ actresses in these films, giving cameo performances.

One such was Rachel Roberts, tragic that she died so young. She was brilliant as Brenda in 'Sat Night etc.' Society was rather unkind back then in that Arthur was considered 'a bit of a lad', whereas Brenda was in danger of being called 'A Bag'. How unkind, Brenda was trapped into what was expected from her, as a woman during the 1960's. Now that women have autonomy, they can choose freely whom they would wish to father their child.

Trevorthe gasman, you mention Mary Ure, was she the attractive blonde who was married to the actor Robert Shaw?

I absolutely adored Robert Shaw in 'The Buccaneers', Thursday afternoon at 5 o' clock. Remember him? :)

Mary Ure was married to Robert Shaw, from 1963 to her death from overdose in 1975, aged 42

Credit: Wikipaedia

Trevorthe gasman, you mention Mary Ure, was she the attractive blonde who was married to the actor Robert Shaw?

I absolutely adored Robert Shaw in 'The Buccaneers', Thursday afternoon at 5 o' clock. Remember him? :)

Yes as stated died at 42 from an overdose had beauiful eyes, Capitan Dan Tempest ,yes I remember.. that was our pork strips night .did you get "The sun will come out tomorrow"

Does anyone have a copy of 'The Ragmans Daughter' film. It seems to have disappeared without trace. I did see it on TV years ago but other than that where has it gone. Re Saturday Night & Sunday Morning I recently bought a copy of the Jonny Dankworth Cleo Laine 4 CD collection so I had a full version of Lets Slip Away.

Cliff Ton, if I get time today, I'm going to sort out my 'Sat. Night, Sun. Morn' video; I'm going to check on that Nottingham Castle scene . . .

Talking around, there was definately an October time - atmospheric - misty scene set at the Raleigh Social Club - was that Wollaton way?

Paulus, was Mary in the kitchen sink drama, 'Look Back In Anger'? :(

Yup, with Mr Burton & Clair Bloom

• 2 years later...

Free admission day at Nottingham Castle today, so we decided that now we're both retired and have lots of spare time on our hands, the time was ripe to re-visit it.

Could not believe how many people were there, although very few of them were speaking English!

Photos here -

• Upvote 11

Nice pics Rob, thanks for taking and posting them.

I know there are good long distance views from the Castle, but looking at the fifth from the end, didn't realise you could see the top of Blackpool Tower beyond Greens Windmill!

• Upvote 1

It's NOT a castle ;)

It's a "stately home" formerly owned by the Duke of Newcastle.(torched in 1831 :))

Why it's still called a castle is beyond belief.

Still as a tourist attraction it's OK!