It's known the world over as Nottingham Castle, and if that's good enough for billions of people worldwide, then that's good enough for me.

Most heritage sites have succumbed to alteration and development over the centuries, but that's life and history in the making.

You don't think The Alamo mission is as it was in 1835 do you, or the Tower of London as it was hundreds of years ago.

If you were in Texas and denigrated the Alamo you would be instantly 'taken out'. Well we're

not quite as fervent about such happenings in Notts, but it's our castle. Millions have visited it over the years and are continuing to do so. So there ! Got it.

• Upvote 3

Weren't we the fortunate ones. Who for a couple of old pennies (Or was it four) could spend a whole day at the Castle. Roaming in and out of the rooms as often as we liked. ( as long as we behaved our selves).

Last year, we visited the Castle and on entering, we found ourselves on one of those one way walks through corridors of information filled walls. Really bad air conditioning and for me the magic was gone. The reason was that being so claustraphobic, I couldn't stand it and we had to get out quickly.

Like most of you, I have really good memories of my days at Nottingham Castle in the !950/60s and from being taken there as a young child through to the usual Saturday visits with my mates as Teenages to do a bit of "Talent Spotting". A very special place in a lot of our memories is the Castle. I'll finish this post with the words I started it with.

Weren't we the fortunate ones.

• Upvote 4

What else could we do? Get Disney in to build a fibreglass replica?

A model village on one of the lawns with the castle as it used to be would be interesting.

2mnlq95.jpg

Merrivale Model Village

2a91svq.jpg

• 4 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Years ago, it was free. On certain days, a very small payment was required. In the 70s, mum and I used to meet up at lunchtime and take a picnic lunch and a flask of hot coffee. We'd sit by the bandstand and watch the squirrels before we both went back to our respective offices for the afternoon. There was never any charge for admission to the grounds.

Jill it was in the 50s.......and you put a penny in to go thru a turn style......Honest........

• Like 1

About 1954/5 ish, I'm reasonably sure that one penny charge was only on a Sunday. A group of us went with next doors older girls, Helen and Mauriel to spend an afternoon up there. We carried a wind up record player and handful of 50s 78rpm records. The player was like carrying a cabin trunk and the discs were like 12" plates. We sat near the bandstand, wound up the player and blasted out Dickie Valentine and David Whitfield etc.

One time we went, I drove through the gates and parked up at the side of the castle, while we took our disabled son to visit. (We had disability orange badges and if you rang up first, you could arrange to drive in.)

The last time I visited was to a private evening event for NCB artists who were exhibiting. Saw my doctor boss, who asked what I was doing there, until I showed him my paintings. So we had a glass of wine and chatted.

On 5/21/2012 at 3:00 PM, Cliff Ton said:

Stood there with a few girls in my time........including the wife when she first came up to Nottingham........

I believe there is a plaque there.......not to me.....to Saturday night and Sunday morning''.........lol

• Like 1