RIP Alan. Thanks to his design I was kept in chips fags and booze for a few years!

I was sad to hear of Alan's death, I worked in the Cycle Design dept at Raleigh 1969-73 when the Choppers were going out the door in their tens of thousands.

I remember when Chopper bikes first came in; quite revolutionary. Everybody, that is kids - perhaps even adults - wanted one!

RIP Alan, you gave joy to lots with your unique design. :)

Didnt the brake cables go through drilled holes in the frame?

No, it went along the crossbar under the gear shift.

Incedentally he was born in Netherfield !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Oakley_(designer)

The more I think about this I think there was a bike where the cables were inside the frame. Maybe someone can correct me. (Too many chips, fags and booze I think!)

"The Grifter" (One of the first 'BMX' type bikes) had the rear break cable through the frame as the 'crossbar' was two thick (For strength) to attatch a cable to (Although the drilling of any hole in the frame would surely weaken the structural integrity !).

I can't find a good picture of a 'Chopper' to see if that too went through the frame. I'm pretty sure it didn't as it had a thin cross bar to which the cable was easily attatched.