500 lines i must not ride on the back of motor cycles in my school uniform.did it stop me no i would still have a lift home if i got the chancerather than walk home

our school was an all girls school the teachers did not were gowns but we had to stand when they came into the hall for assembly and when they or any visitors came into the class room, and if you happened to catch the same bus to town number 39 trolly bus at the same time as them and you had a seat and they or any other adult did not you got into trouble next day . and we girls when in the fourth year also had to go and make tea coffee tidy the staff room for the teachers at breaks and lunch time we were all surposed to do one week in the year , but some of us ended up doing it a lot but i did not mind cause it ment i got out of class 15 mins each time to wash pots put out cups and make pots of tea and coffee just as the teachers came in, teachers were surposed to take there cups back to the staff kitchen but some of them never did usually we took them and washed them but one day not long before we left my friend and i decided not to touch them teachers came in weres my cup dont know miss it was not in the kitchen , bit off a row ensued in walked head asked what the problem was teachers saying they not got there cups asked us why not in the kitchen miss so we did not know were they were . ok said the head but they were all in the sink every day after that.

• Upvote 1

During my senior school years, in class we read a book every term; these were always classics.

At the beginning of a new term, there was always a certain amount of excitement as to which book our form teacher had chosen for us.

Some of the books I recall are:

'Treasure Island' - Robert Louis Stephenson

'Cue for Treason' - *Geoffrey Trease

'Silas Marner' - George Eliot

'The 39 Steps' - John Buchan

'The Good Earth' - Pearl Buck

'White Fang' - *Jack London

'Animal Farm' - George Orwell

'A Tale of Two Cities' - Charles Dickens

'Oliver Twist' - Charles Dickens

*Geoffrey Trease, one of Nottingham's own. I well remember his visit to my school to tell of his life as a writer.

*Jack London: out of all the above books my favourite is undoubtedly 'White Fang'. Certain parts in the book made me cry and it was so realistic how London wrote of the pack of huskies at the forefront of a loaded sledge, on a hazardous journey. A miraculous work of fiction.

Classics remain my favourite books today. :)

• Upvote 1

yes i certainly can and the taste of it too would often have a quick cup on cold days while getting teachers pot ready

i remember reading a lot but not as a classs or term project but going into the school libary miss rex or sexy rexy as she was known one of the younger teachers always wore short shirts and dyed black hair always back combed some times worn down sometimes it would be put up in a bun

• 11 months later...

I was only recently trying to remember the books we had to read at school. I was at Mundella 1968 to 1973. I can remember The Hobbit, Three Men in a Boat, Greenmantle ( a follow on from 39 Steps) and I think Pygmallion.

We occasionally had to read parts out to the rest of the class and I remember when we were reading Three Men in a Boat at one particular part where the three are having a picnic by the river and having problems with a spirit stove the class, and the teacher were laughing so much no one was able to read.

I would be interested to see if there is anyone at Mundella at the same time as me can remember what other books were on the sylabus.

Regards Paul

At High Pavement (1961 to 1966) I remember in the first form the first book we had to read was also Three Men in a Boat. We also studied the Sherlock Holmes stories, then I remember The Day of the Triffids (John Wyndham), The Invisible Man (H.G.Wells), Coral Island (R.M.Ballantyne) Kidnapped (Robert Louis Stevenson) and Hard Times (Dickens - and it was a hard time reading it!) For O Level it was Far From the Madding Crowd (Thomas Hardy).

The first three of those, plus Sherlock Holmes, have remained among my favourite books to this day.

Almost of those could be considered classics, or - except maybe for Coral Island - adult fiction, but these days all my son (aged 12) seems to get at his school is 'teenage fiction'.

We did "Walkabout" and the "Hobbit", that was it. 5 years at senior school and all we had to show for it was knowledge of middle earth and Aborigines. We also (IMMSC) spent a whole term, seemingly a whole school year, discussing a poem called "We are seven" by Wordsworth about some kid who had lost a couple of siblings through illness.

A great help in later life I'm sure you'll agree

I have absolutely no idea why we didn't do any Shakespeare or the like.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_are_Seven

We had to do Shakespeare for O Level so did one of his plays every year working up to that.

English Literature O Level was one Shakespeare play (Twelfth Night in my year), one 'modern' play (Saint Joan by G.B.Shaw) and one novel (Far From the Madding Crowd as I mentioned before)

I did English Literature and English Language but, as I said, we didn't do any Shakespeare ! no idea why , whether it was just my school year and a different curriculum or what i don't know.
I'd have loved it, (Probably not really , it's just as I get older I start to see the humour in it)

carnt remember doing any books just encouraged to read and learnt about various authours but our english teacher was very into dramaand we did a smallplay every tearm amd if you were good you got chosen for yearly school play. i was in the school play every year one year we did toad of toad hall , amid summer nights dream the next ,romeo and juliet another a bit boring being an all girls school and the final year we did a version of mc beth or the withches as we called it

At William Crane in the fifties we had a text book containing examples of writings from science fiction novels. These were read, one a week, then we had to write a S.F. chapter of our own, building up to one complete story. I recall we had similar texts from western novels as examples for writing our own cowboy and indian stories too. Seemed to me a good exercise at the time.

Time to 'fess up - who still has a school issued book? I still have my hymn book from Long Eaton Grammar School!

Somewhere I have my old Electrical Theory books and Regulations (14th Edition) from Peoples College 1974.

The only thing I can remember from the latter is the term "Fortuitous Contact"

Time to 'fess up - who still has a school issued book? I still have my hymn book from Long Eaton Grammar School!

Eric, so have I !

At one time I'm pretty sure I had a copy of "Marchant and Watson" - the first Latin textbook from the second form, but I haven't seen that for years.