Is this in Nottingham?

A large part of the film "Saturday Night Sunday Morning" was shot in and around Nottingham, and everybody has probably played 'spot the location', but quite a few scenes were filmed in London, and ever since I first saw the film I've been puzzled by this view.

street.jpg

It's pretending to be Nottingham, but is it really there? And if so, where? It has a general air of Radford/Lenton, but I've never been able to work out any landmarks.

Perhaps it is one of the London scenes, in which case maybe no-one here will be able to identify it.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh dear - I'm getting a terrible anorak reputation. OK, you asked for it - here goes ! First, a link to a later frame that shows the whole back of the bus. http://www.busesonsc.../satnight04.jpg On

It does indeed show Mr Finney running for a bus. A great piece of continuity where he comes out of his house on Salisbury Street, and we next see him running down Derby Road, opposite the old Hooley's

Here's an example of how fit I was at one time !! When I worked 'Late afters' at Pork Farms in the 80's I had to get two buses in every day. The 72 from Carlton Square and the 40 sommat to Queens Dri

.the picture could be town end of sneinton ?

I wondered about Sneinton, especially with the hills in the background, but I couldn't work out exactly what we are seeing.

Re: the point about locations in London http://en.wikipedia....lming_locations

And I've also read that the sequence where Albert Finney and Norman Rossington are walking through a 1950s-style estate is also somewhere in London

The factory building in the foreground reminds me of the 'Valspar' paint factory,towards the town end of St Annswell road.

I am stumped at the light coloured building in the distance.

There is no council house in the view.

Cliff Ton, it could well be Radford.

The factory could be Toone's; this was located at the top of Sydenham Street, just off Denman Street.

Filming 'Saturday Night and Sunday Morning', there were lots of shots within Radford itself; especially Salisbury Street (the yards) - familiar to Sillitoe - Faraday Road and Hartley Road.

I'll check for you . . . . :)

That's Grodgit and Plackitts Pile Cream Factory with the Prophylactic Emporium in the distance...probably taken from the roof of Patels Halal Slaughterhouse or the Barnstenworths Colliery Whitefinger Clinic.

9d01b51d.gif

:) Hippo girl, regarding 'Sat. Night, Sun. Morning' locations, the film crew actually took over some of the house/houses in one of the yards on Salisbury Street; remember when Ma Bull was shot up the whatd'yamacallit? :biggrin: Well this event was definitely filmed on the aforementioned street.

I read somewhere (Probably on here) that there were a few more external scenes shot on the streets of London, there's a scene where a couple of them are staggering along drunk ithe street that was shot 'dahn sarff!'

Incedently , that picture reminds me of the Dulwich and Thornton Heath areas of South London (Not a million mile from Croydon) where my in laws were both born.

Cliff Ton, I hope this helps: I have been informed by a knowledgeable source from Old Radford, that the factory in your image could be John Player's, Number I factory on Alfreton Road. However, that same source told me that filming for 'Sat. Night, Sun. Morn.' was done mainly on Salisbury Street - Sillitoe land - and that filming on Alfreton Road was unlikely!

:)

Jackson, thanks for your inquiries, but I don't think it is Player's No 1 factory. This photo shows where that factory was was, and it was surrounded by a number of other buildings. http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

I agree that Alfreton Road doesn't appear in the film; Salisbury Street was used for the road where Albert Finney lived; and other locations include Willoughby Street for Hilda Baker's house; Faraday Road for the Raleigh factories; and a street off Hartley Road for where Rachel Roberts lived

On the horizon , 2 inch in from the right hand side of the pic...could that not be the council house. ??

I see what you mean, certainly could be........or a church. I'm also intrigued by the large grey block building near the horizon on the left side - what's that?

Norton street is off Hartley road....

I could tell it was off Hartley Road, but not which exact street it was. This is it, from the film...

norton.jpg

You could be right !

It all seems to fit. It means that the steep road going down in the immediate foreground is either St Chad's Road or Denstone Road. And all the scenery in the background is St Anns/Hungerhill Road/Woodborough Road.

And it means the tall grey block which I mentioned earlier is Alexandra Court, the tower block half way up Woodborough Road

Look up Denstone rd ...at the top the houses on Windmill lane look out over them all so We reckon the shot was taken from a top window on windmill lane.

So YES ...it is Nottingham.....factory is Dobson and Wrights Lace bleachers.

Cliff Ton, thanks for the wonderful photograph of Norton Street, just off Hartley Road. Certainly brings back memories.

In the film: 'Sat. Night, Sun. Morning', Jack, Brenda's husband drives up Hartley Road on his motorbike and side car, turns left into Norton Street, then goes into the back of one of the houses. :)

PS: I'm thinking of the saying: 'If we could turn back time'; well we can, with the use of photographs!