Is this in Nottingham?

I see what you mean, certainly could be........or a church. I'm also intrigued by the large grey block building near the horizon on the left side - what's that?

I could tell it was off Hartley Road, but not which exact street it was. This is it, from the film...

norton.jpg

Fantastic Photo

This is the end of Norton Street looking from Hartley Road towards players factory with Beckenham road running down out of view to the right.

The road at the end does not seen toe exist on todays google map?

The first terraced house on the right just past the wall but out of view is where I lived around 1965.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh dear - I'm getting a terrible anorak reputation. OK, you asked for it - here goes ! First, a link to a later frame that shows the whole back of the bus. http://www.busesonsc.../satnight04.jpg On

It does indeed show Mr Finney running for a bus. A great piece of continuity where he comes out of his house on Salisbury Street, and we next see him running down Derby Road, opposite the old Hooley's

Here's an example of how fit I was at one time !! When I worked 'Late afters' at Pork Farms in the 80's I had to get two buses in every day. The 72 from Carlton Square and the 40 sommat to Queens Dri

Hippo Girl: Greetings Grandma! Wonderful news. :)

Being a Grandma is all about Love and Fun. :biggrin:

PS: Take care if you're driving down to London - you must be thrilled but stay calm Chrissy! :)

'Granny Hippo Girl'..................has a certain ring to it, congratulations to you & your family, children are the most precious of gifts............... :biggrin:

It does indeed show Mr Finney running for a bus. A great piece of continuity where he comes out of his house on Salisbury Street, and we next see him running down Derby Road, opposite the old Hooley's showroom.

It only seems daft to Nottingham people; no-one anywhere else in the country would know you can't do that.

running.jpg

And when he gets on the bus you can just see the old Baptist church on the corner of Upper College Street. Later demolished to become the NAAFI offices, and now converted to apartments

bus-2.jpg

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the stills from the film Kev, keep them coming.

I can remember when traffic ran both up and down Derby Road.

I wonder what number the bus was? 'CITY'

There is also a scene where he is walking past that furniture shop on Parliament Street opp Coop House.

Was it Cavendish?

Unfortunately you only see the bus from the back, so all you ever know is that it's going to "City"; they didn't have route numbers on the rear or side panels - although you can see its registration number of OTV 176. No doubt StephenFord will tell us exactly what it was!

That short scene is really good for bus anoraks because coming up the other way is another NCT bus, followed by a Trent bus, followed by a trolleybus. I've jogged through it frame-by-frame but can't read destinations on any of them

Oh dear - I'm getting a terrible anorak reputation. OK, you asked for it - here goes !

First, a link to a later frame that shows the whole back of the bus. http://www.busesonsc.../satnight04.jpg

On the rear destination blind you can just see the top of the next display, and I think that says 60 Bilborough. (They did show combined route number and destination for the outward journey, but only CITY on the return). The bus is a 1952/53 AEC Regent III with pre-selector gearbox and Park Royal body.

The bus going the other way on the picture above is an older Regent - identical AEC mechanicals, but with a narrower Metro-Cammell body (KTV96-KTV126 series) supplied in 1949.

This link shows the Trent bus in more detail http://www.busesonsc.../satnight08.jpg. It is a Leyland PD2 with Metro-Cammell Orion body. I am pretty sure it is showing 61B East Kirkby.

As for the trolleybus, I think it is one of the 8 foot wide variant of the standard 6-wheelers,supplied 1950 (KTV500-KTV524) with Brush body, These wide trolleys tended to keep to certain routes, of which 39 Wollaton Park via Ilkeston Road was one.

I am pretty sure the bus following that is a Notts & Derby Traction Bristol KSW6G with Eastern Coachworks body, one of 15 (SRB528-SRB542) bought in 1953 - supposedly to replace the Ripley trolleys. Here it was quite likely working one of the Wollaton local routes (D9, E1, F5),

Finally, in the far distance on the first link you can see the back of a bus, which is a Midland General AEC Regent with Weymann body of about 1947-48 vintage.

Well, I'll wait for them to come with a straitjacket and take me away in a yellow van...

• Upvote 2

Fantastic.

But can you remember those days when you could actually run for the bus and still catch it after it had left :)

Mick, I certainly can - my dad always used to take me out on Saturday mornings. Sometimes a rowing boat at Highfields, sometimes Wollaton Park etc. On one of these trips - I think we were heading for Wollaton Park. We went over to the Derby Road stop at Canning Circus and there was a bus just about to leave (and it did). I have this distinct recollection of dad scooping me up, tucking me under his arm and sprinting after the bus and taking a flying leap onto the platform with only one spare hand to grab the handrail. Whew!

Stu - NCT were just as bad at leaving people behind then - but they were at a disadvantage with no doors to shut in your face! A driver once told me of a mean trick that some drivers played on the last trip of the evening from Granby Street to Bilborough. There were always young couples snogging in the shadows within easy reach (as they thought) of the bus, With a pre-selector gearbox it was possible to start the engine with first or second gear already engaged - so provided the handbrake was off, the bus would start to move as soon as the engine fired. The conductor would come round the back from the off-side as the driver got into the cab, and without any warning, a hitherto lifeless bus would burst spontaneously into motion, leaving many a young Lochinvar and his intended with a long walk home!

Here's an example of how fit I was at one time !!

When I worked 'Late afters' at Pork Farms in the 80's I had to get two buses in every day. The 72 from Carlton Square and the 40 sommat to Queens Drive from outside the toilets on the square. I'd get off at "The Elite" and jog accross the square , usually getting there with a couple of minutes to spare. Any delay on the way into town resulted in the following...............

I would be jogging up to the bus, the driver would see you coming , close the door with a grin on his face and drive off. His route took him up Friar Lane down Maid Marion Way then all the way round the bus station giving me a chance to over take him as he got held up at the lights !

So I then ran straight down Wheeler Gate, Lister Gate, through the Broad Marsh Centre, through the subway, accross the bus station, down Carrington Street, finally (And extreemely breathlessly) catching it outside the station !!

Many a time you could see a bit of colour drain from the drivers cheeks as I climbed on board gasping out words to the effect of , "You won't find it so effing amusing next time , will you ??"

• Upvote 1

I've found some of your memories on this topic so funny. I was starting to sweat reading Beefsteak's run for the bus and could envisage StephenFord under his Dad's arm as he ran for the bus. StephenFord, you commented on being an anorak but Nottstalgia wouldn't exist without people with your knowledge of Nottingham and it's public transport history. My Dad was an Inspector on the NCT so I'm always interested in the topic and when people put photos on the site I always look to see if my Dad's on them. No luck so far though.

• 2 weeks later...

I've found some of your memories on this topic so funny. I was starting to sweat reading Beefsteak's run for the bus and could envisage StephenFord under his Dad's arm as he ran for the bus. StephenFord, you commented on being an anorak but Nottstalgia wouldn't exist without people with your knowledge of Nottingham and it's public transport history. My Dad was an Inspector on the NCT so I'm always interested in the topic and when people put photos on the site I always look to see if my Dad's on them. No luck so far though.

When did your dad work on NCT & what was his first name ?

I was there 74 till 86.