Motor Cycle Enthusiast Page

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Since I've been on this forum a few years now, I'd better put up a few pics of mine, past and present. Currently in the stable; 1942 Harley-Davidson WLC; one of 88,000 produced by the company duri

O happy days; and some sad ones. Top picture is me (left!) and pal Johnny Bennett at a trials meeting at Bevercotes in September 1959. John's mother had the tuffee shop on Nuthall Road. Emigrated to S

Posted Images

The Manx Norton was in my mind the best looking bike ever, if I were picky the one thing that let it down was the too vertical rear suspension units, that said it wasn't built for it's looks but they didn't do a bad job did they? Used to think the BSA DBD34 was class too, but the standard headlight and brackets etc make it look a bit "off" these days? There was another classic in my opinion, pictured below

http://www.spookytoms.com/1972CB750-Im-2.jpg

Do you remember mine that i used to ride around NOTTINGHAM & go to Jacks Caffe in Beeston NOTTINGHAM & the White Hart lenton also in NOTTINGHAM

Hi Mudgie, Not mine I'm afraid, took the pic halfway upto High Peak junction near to the small quarry narrow gauge railway

Rog

Is it the logo on the tank Ash?

No not that, it's probably something that only a motorcyclist or someone into bikes in that era would pick up on,

dgbrit, sorry don't recall you or the bike

I started going down sheds, jack's centre gates bank holidays at skeg in 1963 then 64/65 was with girl not into bikes, still had such but not out at nights on it, by time I was back scene had switched to white hart so down there most w/ends till 1974

Its got a L plate on it so prob B31& the kid cant reach the peddles

I went down jacks ,Sheds, Robins, White Hart, Middle gates at the same time so did Bryan

Petty Manx Norton 350 single Knocker,

Vincent/HRD 1000cc.

Mates Dave Seaman, Tony Stark ,Vincent Pete, Baz Redgate,Bill Scott .Moggy Mick

OOH almost forgot in Nottingham

yes, the law limiting solo bike learner drivers to under 250cc bikes came in 1960, a mate's brother had a Matchless 500cc with L plates I remember so could have been a B33, the doing away with the front no. plates ruling came in later,1975. In looking up those dates came across some other bits,

Driving tests were introduced 1935, prior to then anyone could get a "full" licence and drive straight away

In 1939 the tests were abolished as a war measure, again anyone could drive, so long as they applied for licence, this lasted till 1946 when tests reintroduced however any one having a war licence did not need to pass a test so long as they swopped licence within a year.

Driving Tests also abolished Nov 11th 1956 till April 15th 1957 during Suez Crisis with anyone holding a provisional licence for one month during that time granted a full licence

One thing I already knew was in 1978 IF you had passed your driving test but did not then have a valid licence, the old 3 year one, there was no record of that, You had to apply to Swansea with something like a statement signed by a police officer or your doctor, or swear before a JP you had passed your test and you got one, seems all the old local council issuing offices destroyed all records, not sure how long that state of affairs lasted

In 1936 Road Tax was abolished, (by Churchill) not reintroduced till 1948 at £10 a car

HGV Licence and testing not introduced till 1969, anyone who drove lorries prior to then got automatic licence without taking test

MOT introduced in 1960 cover just Brakes Steering and Lights, however certificate not needed to tax car/bike etc till 1962 (strange?)

1990 law came in banning ALL pillion passengers from bikes unless driver has full licence

-------------------

ps Dgbrit, knew Starkey, "middle" Baz (worked with him for a bit) bought a 250cc AJS off moggie mick from early days, plus Ernie Daft, Fritz, Robin Whiteman, Mick Marriott (was my best man in 1970) Jonny Greenfield, John Coombs, Dick, Fiick etc

When i registered my Manx for the street i did it as a 250cc cos it was cheaper road tax

I had to register it as a special

The funny thing was you could have a full set of lights or non at all not even the reflector for the mot

Mine failed because i didnt have reflector but passed 2 mins later when i took the bicycle lights off

naughty naughty, as bad as registering a "new frame" so as to get latest letter reg and giving the part casting number of headstock, bet it didn't fail for not having a horn either? Dick in the aces had an AJS 7R on the road using an old log book

Thanks for that Ashley, what year were helmets compulsory?

Except for the Asian brothers they had there own laws

Yes 1973, following the crash helmet law there was a rise in motorcyclists deaths and injuries and in 1983 following the rule that front passengers and drivers in cars must wear seat belts there was a record rise in deaths of cyclists pedestrians and car rear seat passengers, all put down to a false sense of security

I remember Baz Redgate well- i worked with him for a time. I think he was sidecar racing in the early days. Last i heard he had moved away from Nottingham.

Another guy who had a Manx Norton on the road was Tony Price,from Keyworth.

Micky, was that on Chard St New Basford? no idea of firm's name or the year, earlier I recall John Rickaby (Rick) starting at Blackburn & Starling when I worked there, and later Little Kenny (350 Goldie) at Bairns Wear when we both worked there (I've had a lot of jobs!)

We used to call him Kenny Runt he was only about 4ft 10

Sure could bump start a Goldie though on the wrong side if i remember correctly

yes baz redgate living in yorkshire he is hoping to make whitehart reunion on saturday hope the weather gets better even for a few hours.

yes you had a few jobs in your time ash but i am sure not as many as rickerby i think his record was 6 in one day all firms in beeston.

• 3 weeks later...