Motor Cycle Enthusiast Page

had a bantam 125cc when i was 16/17, used to put me pyjama bottoms stuffed with newspaper on the back, made me feel like i had a passenger although there was no passenger seat, well i was young and silly, now im old and silly, wish i had me bike back, (and me pyjamas).

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Since I've been on this forum a few years now, I'd better put up a few pics of mine, past and present. Currently in the stable; 1942 Harley-Davidson WLC; one of 88,000 produced by the company duri

O happy days; and some sad ones. Top picture is me (left!) and pal Johnny Bennett at a trials meeting at Bevercotes in September 1959. John's mother had the tuffee shop on Nuthall Road. Emigrated to S

Posted Images

Riding my Honda 50 all legal at 6 AM on my 16'th birthday. Next day I was in hospital, nowt to do with the bike, I was knocked out by a medicine ball in the gym at NCB Moorgreen training centre. When they let me come home next day the Doc told Dad I couldn't ride my bike for a week, he kept the keys on him..

• Upvote 2

Pushbikes were a great passion for me I build several hybrid racing bikes and developed some early skills with spanners etc. I remember Claude Butler frames and Campagnolo hubs, cinelli rims and centre-pull Mafac brakes.

My first mechanised two wheels were a 1959 Lambretta LD. This never as flash as the Li or TVi s that my mates had.

Later I migrated to a Triumph 3TA a great improvement as a machine but didn't really pass muster amongst the mods that I hung out with.

I was a little less fortunate. I had a Triumph Tiger Cub and all the gear ready for my 16th birthday. Had even sent for and got my driving licence 2 months before my birthday, like you could in those days. Then 2 days before my 16th, the lousy government raised the age to 17 and made my licence invalid.

Mind you, i'd already been going out on it after dark since i was 15.

I'd nip out on it round the villages straight after school and get back before mum got in from Players where she worked. She could never understand why i always looked so cold.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ex-commandeered civilian motorcycles to go to auction at the end of the war. I wonder how many finished up at Dawson's on Shakespeare Street?

Civilian_impressed_motorcycles_for__zpsg

• Upvote 4
  • 1 month later...

I have seen Motorbikers funerals, with the coffin at the side of the Motorbike, but I have never seen a side car like this one, seen on the side of the road in a village near us. I would love to go for a spin sitting on that.Lol

DSCF1917.jpg

• Upvote 2

The law is(was) very confusing re sidecars etc, I recall the police trying to do Friar for riding a 650 with just a sidecar chassis in place on provisional licence, after much delving (no internet then) so long as was capable of carrying passengers, or goods, in the latter case merely "planks", which his was (even if more a case of railway sleepers to keep 3rd wheel down) it was deemed legal and they had to drop the case.

He's up in Notts Wednesday onwards and at The Ship next weekend,

Went to Tom Carr's wake last night at The Hart, quite a few there, inc a lot who don't usually still come on Thursdays, was a good night night, (cept for Tom)

Managed to drop my Honda Nighthawk last Sunday, no damage, cept to me , took full force or R knee which turned every shade known to man, spread to untouched R foot which ballooned up something awful, 3 visits to QMC as quacks suspected DVT, luckily ok, not sure if ok to ride to Skeggy though, was really looking forward to it too, might have to go in car, still that sorts out sleeping arrangements!