Motor Cycle Enthusiast Page

All they would let me have in 1964 soon after leaving school was a Raleigh Ultramatic, stating those motorbike things were too noisy..

It was purchased from Blacknells, and I remember taking it back because it wouldn't start .. turned out it was out of petrol ! .. man, did I feel a burk! :unsure:

I dumped it shortly afterwards for a Triumph 650, purchased from a garage in Skegness, I felt a little more at ease on that!.. :ph34r:

ilko.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Since I've been on this forum a few years now, I'd better put up a few pics of mine, past and present. Currently in the stable; 1942 Harley-Davidson WLC; one of 88,000 produced by the company duri

O happy days; and some sad ones. Top picture is me (left!) and pal Johnny Bennett at a trials meeting at Bevercotes in September 1959. John's mother had the tuffee shop on Nuthall Road. Emigrated to S

Posted Images

Posted on Oct 19 2004, 08:04 PM

All they would let me have in 1964 soon after leaving school was a Raleigh Ultramatic, stating those motorbike things were too noisy..

:ph34r: I take it that you mean mum & dad :ph34r:

B) Is this the one, 'Nice colour' :blink: :D for a girl :D

:ph34r: My parents weren't that keen on me haveing a motor bike, mind you it was only a 80cc Yamaha, but still it could shift, 70 plus down hill.

I remember going on the M1 before it was completed , the stretch between east midlands airport A453 J24 and Cinderhill J26 and giving it some wellie. In those days i was a bit of a tear away, most weekends i was at Mallory Park watching the Motor Bikes and cars, I use to mix Castrol R40 into the petrol, the engine was a 2 Stroke so it needed oil as a cylinder lubricant.

And the smell of that Castrol R40 was delightful. I worked at John Players at the time and every morning i would go up Beckingham Road just off Radford Boulivard, open the throttle and a cloud of smoke would poor out of the exhaust and i mean a cloud of smoke you coulden't see down it from wence i came. Ha the SMELL :)

Ha those were the days my friend we thought they would never end, we sang and dance forever and a day :D :D :D :D :D

post-11-1098267835_thumb.jpg

re the Ultramatic....

Yep .. thats the baby! .. minus the cowhorns though!

think they did one in green as well - was it the runabout ?

I worked at Enfield Standard power cables at the time, and would ride this moped everyday to and from work, they had just moved from Carrington street, opposite Redmayne and Todds, to a warehouse on Willow road in Lenton.. so My route was from Notts County FC .. straight down Canal street, over Abbey bridge, and a smooth cruise into Willow road at the bottom..

all as fast as I could so I wouldn't be recognised on this infernal contraption..

The bike was dumped early 65 on my moving to the east coast, where I had slightly more freedom..

So it was .. one for the money.. two for the show ..dump the moped .. it had to go!

BTW.. was your Yamaha one of those fizzers? - I remember them as being pretty smart bikes, as was the Honda 50 sprint, and sport, that were around at the time..

the old Japs knew how to make em even back then!

ilko..

was your Yamaha one of those fizzers?

B) I don't now ilko, all i can remember ilko is that it had this really nice chrome tank B) a bit like the photo, not really :D

post-11-1098318878_thumb.jpg

thats a meaty lump!

bit like the bikes that were on display in the showrooms on canal street, just round the corner from the Sherwood rooms, around the sixties era..

what was the name of the place? campions?

I remember hanging my nose over a nice white Laverda, which they had in there..

I never got it though! ;)

ilko..

I remember hanging my nose over a nice white Laverda, which they had in there..

B) Hi ilkolad, hang ya nose over this modern day Laverda, .SFC1000. here is a link to their site B) www.laverda.com enjoy and dream :D

post-11-1098387139_thumb.jpg

• 7 years later...
securedownload-11.jpgI noted on the Lambretta page lot's of bikers posting motor bike pictures on it,so if you have any great or not so great bike pictures this is the place to post them especially any of the old Aces l have a few myself to get things started.

Gr8 pics RGR.

The road rockets must have been export jobs because the Enlish A10 RR had a red and chrome tank.The 1962 or 63 I think Rocket Gold star boasted a silver and Chrome tank.

Great bikes too.I owned a 1957 model which I left behind when I migrated to Aus.

How silly was that ?9Leaving it behind not migrating) :-) it would be worth a lot of money now.

Baz :ninja:

great pics rgr greatto see your really old ones have some pics of old aces thenand nowill ask piggy to look and see if he can post a few for you but if any of you especialy bazza is interested in the mean time go to rockers reunion skeggy and go to people and friends on the forum and lookat the 60s pics on there.

Photo-0079.jpg

Taken last year at the Castle over 200 bikers turnde up with their Harleys

Pictureuk2008Californiatrip2008511.jpg?t=1335573338Checking out a fine looking Indian at Grass Valley California (Cruisin the Pines car Show). Sep 2008.

I have tried to upload a photo of my A10, but I can't get it right, so I will just enjoy looking at the bikes. The A10 RGS did have a silver and chrome tank like the DBD34 Gold Star. IIRC the A10 Super Rocket had a bright scarlet and chrome tank, while the tank on the A10 Road Rocket was more of a maroon shade.

I've had three BSA's, a 1953 C11 plunger, a 1959 A7SS cafe racer, and a 1958 A10 Golden Flash. All of them were great fun.

D1 Bantam, C11G, D7 Bantam, A7 plunger with jet 80 sidecar, B33, A10 rocket no idea of which but it had Ariel hubs/brakes (crap), ZB 500 Goldie, A10 Flash with sidecar. The B33 belonged to a postman, approx 1966, used to see him use it for work, fancied it so asked if he'd thought of selling it, he replied "got a fiver on you?" I had and there and then did the deal!

My Mates motorcycle just made the front cover of the Easy rider magazine here in the USA not shure if you get it in Canada or Uk.

hi dg looking at the pics you sent trough to starky some of your mates bikes take teal engineering and immagination

Hi Piggy & Babs I sent a whole bunch i took at the Harley store here in town did you see them along with the prices OUCH

As for my mate he just got voted top builder of last year but recently his wife got sick & probably wont make it through this week not a good situation

We were very good friends with both of them upsetting

Just Looking at Miller,s Collectors price guide and there is photo of a1959 BSA A10 R Super Rocket Cafe Racer 650cc Sole,great performance and handling they tell .me

I have tried to upload a photo of my A10, but I can't get it right, so I will just enjoy looking at the bikes. The A10 RGS did have a silver and chrome tank like the DBD34 Gold Star. IIRC the A10 Super Rocket had a bright scarlet and chrome tank, while the tank on the A10 Road Rocket was more of a maroon shade.

I've had three BSA's, a 1953 C11 plunger, a 1959 A7SS cafe racer, and a 1958 A10 Golden Flash. All of them were great fun.