It strikes me as odd that (if I remember correctly) Oakdale Road is much bigger than Parkdale Road but if you wanted to go through to Carlton from the RIO Cinema you had to take the narrower, less well built Parkdale Road - or was there another way through?

only if you were walking could you go through twitchels near carlton square then , but i think there have been a few new houses ans rds built at that end of oakdale in recent years so you may be able to get through that way now

Nope, loads of roads and cul de sacs built over the years (Whimsy Park Estate springs to mind?) but you still can't drive through to Carlton from the top end of Bakersfield (Without doubling back on your self)

Bryan & I were talking yesterday about places that we know the names but cant remember where they were or how to get to them

The last time i was over i felt very uncomfortable in some of the areas i went too,I thought i was lucky to get out alive

Just didnt feel safe at all , Have they cleaned it up ?

I saw drug deals going down outside the local fish & chip shop right in the open

A load of drunks leaving the pubs fighting

Maybe i've just got chicken in my old age .

Hi dgbrit - sadly Nottingham has got itself a bit of a reputation these days - not entirely undeserved. Nevertheless a phrase that comes back to me from my mum and grandma is "Saturday night fights" - a fairly normal state of affairs at chucking out time up St Anns Well Road - in the 1920s and 30s. So perhaps they weren't quite such "good old days" after all!

there was plenty of drug dealing going on in the 60s but it was not a major crime in those days so it stayed small-time. Upping the penalties made it more expensive and thus worth the 'big boys' getting involved and that led straight to violence.

oakdale rd was top end of sneinton and not st anns and was posh end on snienton some very large houses up there in the sixties and was very different from st anns . then and now.

I'd love to know how a discussion on whether or not one can get through from Oakdale Road to Carlton via roads can degenerate into a discussion on the Nottingham drug scene, especially seeing as how the Oakdale Road locale is one of the 'nicer' suberbs Nottingham can offer!

Whimsey Park...

Yes at the top of Marhill Road, off station road, in the 70s, before they built the orchard estate, there was

a walk through, which I always thought was old allotments or an orchard?

It cut behind the Whimsey Flats towards the Elwys Arms. You may still be able to walk the route today?

Good job the never opened it up Marhill and George road would not have coped with the traffic.

You can still walk through from the top of Marhill Road to The Elwes (Just about making it your local if you still lived there !!)

Thinking about it, making it so that you can't go through that area to anywhere else except your abode may be the reason it has kept itself quite smart !

Mate of mine lives on one of those roads and his house (Very similar to ours , but with a garage attatched, mine doesn't ) is worth twice the price of this one !!

Sorry if i got it a bit off track

I dont know much about Oakdale or Carlton even though i did have my lab on Carlton rd for a bit

As for Cul-De Sacs i think the longest one in Nottm was Charlsbury rd or so they used to say

I used to live at the top of Southdale Road Parkdale Road was a continuation of that road and i went to Parkdale Road Primary School they were just wooden huts when i went there

Oakdale is wide but one of its sideroads, Dovedale Road, is even wider. I've never understood the reason unless is was something to do with the boundary between the city and what was then Carlton Urban District.

Still in that area........I've always thought that the bottom end of Douglas Road looks as though it was intended to go over the railway line and join up with Vale Road, Colwick. Was there a vague plan which never happened?

Roger what year did you go to Parkdale School ? i went there from 1956 onwards it was only a few minutes walk from my house

I heard there was some sort of a plan for the Eastern Nottingham Ring Road way back in the mists of time , it was coming through from Colwick , through Main Street Methodist Church, over through Carlton 'Rec' to Gedling pit area and through to Arnold and joining up with the Eastern ring road around Arno Vale I know there is an area in Arnold (Maybe near the "World Cup" estate) where there is a strip of land left bare for just such an occurance.

Google Earth is going to get a good seeing to now !

Am I right in remembering that the stretch of Arno Vale Road from The Arrow to the bottom of Somersby Road was only built around the early 1980s? - later than a lot of the surrounding area. Prior to that, if you came down Gedling Road from Mapperley Top you had to go straight on towards Arnold.

I didn't even know it had been built - shows how long it is since I was around that way. :-(

The "World Cup Estate" was , as the name suggests, built in the latter days of the 60's