Still in that area........I've always thought that the bottom end of Douglas Road looks as though it was intended to go over the railway line and join up with Vale Road, Colwick. Was there a vague plan which never happened?

I think that dead-end was put there to provide a turning point for 59 buses when they didn't go up Douglas Avenue.

I remember 80s'ish, a garage up and over door being decorated with a mural, a cartoon path with a character walking up it possibly with a magnifying glass in hand.

Either on that estate or nearby?

Anyone remember it, or is it still there?

Anyone remember it, or is it still there?

I remember that!. Totally forgotten about it for the last god-knows-how-many-years, but I used to go past there fairly often.

I'm pretty certain it hasn't been there for quite a while, but I reckon it was one of the bungalows on the right about here https://maps.google....=12,171.85,,0,9

I heard there was some sort of a plan for the Eastern Nottingham Ring Road way back in the mists of time , it was coming through from Colwick , through Main Street Methodist Church, over through Carlton 'Rec' to Gedling pit area and through to Arnold and joining up with the Eastern ring road around Arno Vale I know there is an area in Arnold (Maybe near the "World Cup" estate) where there is a strip of land left bare for just such an occurance.

Google Earth is going to get a good seeing to now !

Yes, that eastern ring road was going to eventually come up from Gedling and continue into Lime Lane and on to Lea Pool roundabout if I recall correctly

Many people in Arnold just call it the 'Footballer's Estate' if not 'Plains Estate' although as stated, many sports are referred to up there.

Am I right in remembering that the stretch of Arno Vale Road from The Arrow to the bottom of Somersby Road was only built around the early 1980s? - later than a lot of the surrounding area. Prior to that, if you came down Gedling Road from Mapperley Top you had to go straight on towards Arnold.

That's correct. Gedling Road used to go straight into Arnold from Mapperley Plains at one time. Some years ago they also demolished the original Arrow pub and built a new one.

Sorry to sound pedantic, but I'm pretty sure it was built (The road not the Arrow ) earlier than the 80's , I remember driving down there when I was taking driving lessons, I passed in 78 !

• 9 months later...

Oakdale is wide but one of its sideroads, Dovedale Road, is even wider. I've never understood the reason unless is was something to do with the boundary between the city and what was then Carlton Urban District.

Correct, Dovedale was the last road in Nottingham. I was born on Dovedale but had to go to Jessie Boot instead of Parkdale!

• 5 years later...

Lindleys have gone through quite an expansion in the last couple of years since his son David took over the business, taking over a few other local garages.

I use their Arnold branch for tyres as they’re as cheap as online companies.

https://www.lindleysautocentres.co.uk/about-us/our-history/