Probably for the same reason I keep my old 35mm camera, Brew.  It is a good camera and I just can't part with it.  I almost bought some 35mm film a few weeks ago but I'm not sure where I would get it processed or how much it would cost.  A lot more than digital, that's for sure.

• Like 1
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't see that as a valid reason to give up photography. Digital photography nowadays means that any Tom Dick or Harriet can enjoy the hobby of photography without incurring the exorbitant high cost

We may be able to take repetitive shots with a digital camera that we could not with 35mm due to expense. But I have to ask does that put us on a par with the professionals of yesteryear who could aff

If you could afford the film !

I have several 35mm cameras, Pentax, Olympus, Canon, Praktica and others but the truth is none of them produce an image as good as a mid range digital. Technology moves on, purists will argue but, in my hands at least, my phone takes better pictures than any of the 35's.

It's my birthday today and herself wants to buy me a 'proper' digital but can I make my mind up which one to choose? Can I hell as like....

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Brew said:

I have several 35mm cameras, Pentax, Olympus, Canon, Praktica and others but the truth is none of them produce an image as good as a mid range digital. Technology moves on, purists will argue but, in my hands at least, my phone takes better pictures than any of the 35's.

It's my birthday today and herself wants to buy me a 'proper' digital but can I make my mind up which one to choose? Can I hell as like....

Happy birthday. How about she buys you the new Nikon Z7. Does she love you as much as £3500? Plus lens of your choice of course.:biggrin:

That's what I think. We were just talking about as I sit here typing and basically I have no need for more than the camera on my phone.

I was 'into' photography years ago and had a darkroom (though she did insist it was a bathroom) with all the paraphernalia but now all I do is an occasional snapshot, hardly worth spending a couple of hundred quid on

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Brew said:

That's what I think. We were just talking about as I sit here typing and basically I have no need for more than the camera on my phone.

I was 'into' photography years ago and had a darkroom (though she did insist it was a bathroom) with all the paraphernalia but now all I do is an occasional snapshot, hardly worth spending a couple of hundred quid on

I've got a Panasonic Lumix which is excellent and is pocket sized. Had it for some years and I imagine the latest would be around £200. My Nikon Coolpix P610 is a fantastic camera with both optical and digital zoom and will also run about 30mins of cine. It was recommended by an old school friend who has been into cameras all of his life. He's a retired zoology professor and travels the world photographing wildlife so I bought it on his recommendation. The only problem is, when something interesting lands in the garden, it's flown away by the time I've got it set up. Lots of knobs and dials and multiple settings. You really need to be a professor to work it all out! :biggrin:

My dad was into photography and his darkroom was the kitchen. Remember as a brownie coming home all sweaty and thirsty when I spotted a lemonade bottle sitting in the hearth. I took a swig as dad said don't touch it its developing liquid:wacko:

Watching the image appearing in this fluid and then they were hung to dry a bit then put on a curved heated thing which finally dried the photos, I was fascinated and came to appreciate his interest. But when I was even younger I wanted to take a photo and dad told me what to do etc. Then I spoilt it by asking is this the button I press:(. Needless to say my brother was almost upside down when the photo was developed.

I still have some of the cameras of dads including super 8 which I could never part with. Its just there collecting dust but sorting things out it gets dusted and goes back in the wardrobe.

• Like 2

Thanks for the link, had a look and it looks a very bleak and uninteresting place to go, you've really got to be passionate about your subject.

The animal clips are interesting if not spectacular and he really knows a lot about photography. I'm more of a point, click, ooh look at that,  sort.

I wonder what our kids will do with all of that gear when we check out?

Usually they have no idea of its worth.  I hear of old fella's in Florida who have retired and moved south.  They buy a $30,000 organ because they always wanted to Learn to play.  They die and the kids just think it's grandpa's old organ.  They never liked it's music anyway it's just junk.  So it goes out  the door for $200.00. Oh! to be in the right place at the right time.

• Like 2