I found several good articles about the Nikon patent, that's why I started the thread Mick, looks like it may come to fruition over the next few years!!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't see that as a valid reason to give up photography. Digital photography nowadays means that any Tom Dick or Harriet can enjoy the hobby of photography without incurring the exorbitant high cost

We may be able to take repetitive shots with a digital camera that we could not with 35mm due to expense. But I have to ask does that put us on a par with the professionals of yesteryear who could aff

If you could afford the film !

The only problem with that, is it's viewing through the prism..I doubt an image through a prism is as good as a direct image through the lens direct to a sensor...I think I'll wait until replaceable camera backs are available.

Surely if we have a digital back replacement, the mirror is no longer of any importance???? Isn't the mirror there to send an image through the prism to the viewfinder???

• 4 years later...

My first SLR camera was a Zenit EM with the Praktica 42 mm x 1 mm pitch thread for the interchangeable lenses.

Built like a brick outhouse and the mirror made a satisfying clunk not unlike the shutting of a car door.

It got years of use and abuse and I only threw away some of the doubler lens spacers last year during a clear out.

Image result for zenit cameras

My first 'proper' camera was a Praktica LLC. Press the button and mirror was loud enough to frighten the horses. Weird sized batteries in them too.

I may have mentioned.  I was surprised to see Wal Mart still carries 35 mm colour print film.  I nearly bought one but resisted the temptation because they only come in packs of three, and then you've got to get them processed, but that Canon Ftb was the best camera I've ever owned  I still think it's better than a lot of digitals.  I've often wished they could  make some kind of digital conversion for it.

• Like 1

My first camera was a box Brownie - handed down from my mother. I was keen on photography even then and started doing my own developing and (contact) printing when I was about fourteen.

My next camera was an Ilford Sportsman with a Prontor SVS shutter (I wanted an extensive range of shutter speeds than those offered by the standard Vario shutter version). I had this a number of years and successfully made a small business in colour wedding photography (only as an auxiliary to a pro photographer). I even did my own processing with Ferraniacolor film and processing kits from Bullock's photographers on Hucknall High St. This was all reversal film, making slides. I never rated colour print film in those days.

I then progressed through two Minolta SLR's and then, when Pentax converted to bayonet lenses, to Pentax. I still have two Pentax (MX and ME Super) cameras hidden away somewhere. I doubt they are of much value but I did manage to sell my collection of lenses a few years ago at quite a good profit.

• Like 1

Yes, I have a 28mm wide angle lens for the Ftb.  I bought it just before the digitals really took off so it never got much use.  The camera came with a 50mm lens.

I still have my Olympus OM 10 with a standard 50mm lens, the obligatory 28mm wide angle and a Vivitar 85-205 auto zoom that the lady bought me. I don't suppose any of it will ever get used again in this world of 'as easy as pie' digital.

In the 60s I had an Agfa Silette in a rigid leather carry case, followed by a Yashica Minister. Both range finder cameras.

I preferred that Agfa, it was simple, robust and took very good pictures when I got the hang of the exposure settings. I used a circular calculator to start with, quite involved it was but later used a plain plastic card with settings on it or even guessing. It was good for general snapshots.

I still have my old Cannon AT1 35mm SLR. A good camera for sports shots in it's day. Being almost fully manual it made me think about the shot to be taken - maybe some shots benefited from this planning and forethought? 

I agree that planning & forethought are essentials in the composition of a good camera shot - also the cost of film stock was a very necessary consideration.

With digital, there is no necessity to carefully consider composition as a gazillion shots can be taken in almost zero time and all stored on an erasable microcircuit. Even poor and very poor pictures can be manipulated by Photoshop and related software to offer something acceptable or even "good" and worthy of retention.

I used to enjoy photography when there was some sort of skill or talent attached to it but, sorry, it no longer gets me inspired - which is a great pity as there is some really spectacular scenery around here.

Nikon patented a digital back for SLR cameras and this company has made it happen in the real world, only 16Mp though, but it's a start, I don't know if it will really keep going, but it gives those who have certain 35mm SLR film cameras a chance to dust them down and reuse them.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/photography/im-back-digital-back-for-film-cameras-kickstarter/

2 hours ago, jonab said:

I agree that planning & forethought are essentials in the composition of a good camera shot - also the cost of film stock was a very necessary consideration.

With digital, there is no necessity to carefully consider composition as a gazillion shots can be taken in almost zero time and all stored on an erasable microcircuit. Even poor and very poor pictures can be manipulated by Photoshop and related software to offer something acceptable or even "good" and worthy of retention.

I used to enjoy photography when there was some sort of skill or talent attached to it but, sorry, it no longer gets me inspired - which is a great pity as there is some really spectacular scenery around here.

I don't see that as a valid reason to give up photography. Digital photography nowadays means that any Tom Dick or Harriet can enjoy the hobby of photography without incurring the exorbitant high costs associated with film photography, I  loved photography as a youngster but the costs made the hobby for me too prohibitive.

I was at the east coast last weekend & the number of people I saw using smartphones to snap a picture was unbelievable, digital photography can only be a good thing instead of an elitist hobby it once was.

• Like 4

We may be able to take repetitive shots with a digital camera that we could not with 35mm due to expense. But I have to ask does that put us on a par with the professionals of yesteryear who could afford to use an auto wind to take multiple shots in order to get the frame they wanted.

• Like 2

I was sorting some stuff in the loft and found this Quality Street camera, still unwrapped. I'd assume it was a free gift that came with the chocolates. I'd also assume that they'd end up in the dustbin making mine a rarity. Because of this I think I'll let Compo start a bidding war, haha.

Quality_Strret_Camera_2.jpg

Quality_Street_Camera_1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 3 months later...

Advert in one of my old engineering catalogues, might have to enlarge the picture to read some of the descriptions

P1060846.jpg

Rog

• Like 1