'How does your garden grow?'

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of our cherry trees which was planted 60+ years ago, the first photo is in a book we have about the first occupants of our house, Harry Freckleton and his wife who had a photographic studio on Mar

First runners of the year some salt butter and a baked spud lovely jubbly  

That's on my to do list  nonna, chilli jam, apple and sage jelly. Just finished a batch of plum and ginger chutney. My family love them for the winter months and they make good Christmas pre

Had a look at the mints this morning. It appears that the most attractive ones are the apple mint (almost completely covered with flies) and one that I call chocolate mint (not so many flies but still plenty). The peppermint plants seem pretty much clear.

Had a word with some of the locals and they are fascinated by what has happened. They're coming to have a look later.

The flies have flown! Not a trace of them now. They don't seem to have damaged the plants although I am very reluctant to use the current growth in case something nasty has been left behind.

The locals weren't able to offer anything useful - they are just as mystified as the rest of us.

Paul cutting down another conifer today - this time from our front garden

He's cutting it down branch by branch and at the moment, he's covered in sweat and dry 'needles'. Lovely...(not)

IMG_4375.jpg

IMG_4378.jpg

IMG_4388.jpg

This last photo is of our apple tree in the back garden, which is so loaded, some of the branches are only a foot above the grass.  It has bent over so far, the trunk is leaning at an angle of about 50 - 60 degrees!

• Like 1

Ian, this one's easy compared with the huge one he did a few months ago..... as long as the final cut doesn't fall the wrong way!!  He's given up for today anyway, now we've taken the first lot to the recycling centre.  It's too hot to work all day at our age!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2018 at 5:39 PM, jonab said:

The locals weren't able to offer anything useful - they are just as mystified as the rest of us.

A swarm of something that has flown over from North Africa in the current southerly windstream, perhaps?

I don't know. It's a couple of weeks now since the fly invasion and they disappeared as quickly as the arrived. The thing I found most odd was their attraction to mint plants.

Never tried drying yellow tomatoes, if you do let us know how they turn out. Ive dried red ones in the past though.

• 1 month later...

Old Man's Beard; a native British clematis.  Grew this from seed taken from a cliff face near Brixham about four years ago:

29631490527_7be56a784b_b.jpg

29631529137_0cceeb3d48_c.jpg

• Like 3

I didn't get the chance to listen to the morning show, had to work in a place that didn't allow music.  Only caught odd moments.

It was a series of pieces written in the style of the old "Janet and John" children's books by a listener who went by the pseudonym of Mick Sterbs. The innuendo in each little story was absolutely filthy and repeatedly had Wogan in hysterics. I don't know how he managed to get them past the BBC editors.

Try this one (but listen to the end) ...

• Like 3

At the side of the front door the other week,sweet peas

P1060712.jpg

And at the side of the front gate,white roses and blue clematis

P1060708.jpg

Rog

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1
12 hours ago, LizzieM said:

Just been going through our collection of hundreds of CDs looking for a  ‘Janet and John’ that we had years ago.  So funny, loved Wogan.  Can’t find it sadly.  

I used to enjoy listening to Terry Wogan's breakfast show on Radio 2 on my drive to work each morning. I absolutely loved The Janet & John section and frequently laughed till I cried particularly when Terry started to laugh uncontrollably at the end. The double entendre at it's best. I see there are some clips on YouTube.

Chris Evans doesn't come close.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Good post Mess, Wogan was a great presenter..i went to his 'City Funeral' in Limerick...very sad.

Yes Ian, his taste in music was excellent. I first heard Nils Lofgren's "Shine Silently" on his show and I've loved it ever since. He also introduced me to Bonnie Raitt's rendition of "Feels like Home" and Beth Nielsen Chapman's "I find your Love". All lovely songs.

Only this morning I heard Abba's "Slipping through my Fingers" another of his favourites. I didn't warm to him until he started to present "Wake up to Wogan"

I became a fully fledged TOG when I retired two years ago.

• Like 1