'How does your garden grow?'

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of our cherry trees which was planted 60+ years ago, the first photo is in a book we have about the first occupants of our house, Harry Freckleton and his wife who had a photographic studio on Mar

I think you are all being very rude and disrespectful to a woman who obviously knows there's more to a person than their outward appearance.    She should NOT be an object to be judged.   In fact, I t

That's on my to do list  nonna, chilli jam, apple and sage jelly. Just finished a batch of plum and ginger chutney. My family love them for the winter months and they make good Christmas pre

5th June, 2012

Weather forecast today promises rain. Fingers firmly crossed: that promise will be broken - like yesterday - and the sun will come out. If so, I can spend some time in the garden. :)

Here's a few taken today from the top of the scaffolding at roof eaves level:

Former chicken shed, now tool shed:

IMG_4143.JPG?gl=GB

Looking West

IMG_4144.JPG?gl=GB

Looking north:

IMG_4145.JPG?gl=GB

Northeast:

IMG_4147.JPG?gl=GB

East towards Wick:

IMG_4146.JPG?gl=GB

Just to the left of centre above on the skyline is a white house - that's my next door neighbour to the east.

• Upvote 1

:) Compo, thanks for your landscape photos: lovely, wide, bright views.

I notice the railway track running alongside your place, is this still in use?

I love interesting photos - like the last one - where you can see lots of stories within each small area. :)

Lovely photos, can't stop looking at them.

Photo no 1 - love the angle this has been taken at.

Photo no 2 - what's those tall things to the left of the monkey tree?

Photo no 3 - love the clouds passing over in this one, all looks sunny and peaceful. :biggrin:

PS: just can't stop looking at them, so lovely these miniature landscapes.

Finally decided what to do with the garden! Were digging it up over the weekend, making a raised level at the bottom, about 7foots work of garden raised, A foot or two high wall built with a couple of low steps & then graveled, leaving the remaining 14foot of garden flat & freshly turfed, little flower bed around new wall & around those ugly old tree stumps!

...... Cant wait to get it sorted, finally! Its just an overgrown mass at the mo. Prob wont be able to enjoy it untill next summer, but ill feel better once its all done! :)

Few pics of the flowers i have growing in some pots, i have no idea what they are, i was given a bag of mixed seeds & bulbs, maybe someone can tell me what they are?

2j3312c.jpg

23hlgkg.jpg

2q8opag.jpg

There starting to get flowers on them too, bright yellow & red ones.

Picture 2:

Left to right

Nasturtiums (a climbing plant that flowers profusely.

Gladiolus tall sword-like plant. Flowers Late July/August. In the left hand pot of Gladiolus you appear to have a French Marigold and I can't quite see what the smaller plants are in the right hand pot.

Three types of plant on right: Tall plants look like cornflowers; small cruciform flowers appear to be night scented stocks and the yellow could be either Siberian wallflower or mixed ten week stocks.

Hope this helps.

Picture 3:

Sweet peas.

You will need supports for these - they climb about 2 metres high. They will climb up anything. A pea net (Couple of quid from Garden centre or Wilkos etc) or some garden canes in the shape of a wigwam or some wires fastened to the wall.

Is there another type of plant in the Sweet Pea pot? It looks like a vetch or similar. The Sweet Peas are the ones with big leaves.

Now then lass - you will need more soil/compost for the Gladioli; they grow large corms underground that provide flowers for next year. A corm is like a bulb but a bulb is made up of fleshy modified leaves whereas a corm is a swollen stem. They both look similar. So, if you imagine a corm the size of a supermarket onion, that's what will be trying to grow under each stem of he Gladioli (plural of Gladiolus), so you can see they will need more space to grow. A large pot for each would do. When you repot them make sure you water them before moving AND after replanting.

The Sweet Peas will also need repotting in larger pots or in a tub if you have no space in your garden borders. If you keep any of the plants in pots or tubs you will need to feed as well as water them for best results. If you are not 'organic' you can use 'Miracle grow' or 'Growmore'. If you are 'organic' you can use 'Fish blood and bone' mix. Garden centres will advise on the best for your needs.

I will always help where I can so don't be frightened to ask - although I will not always know the answer :)

Pixie's Picture 1 - Nasturtiums:

These are nasturtiums growing at the back of my polytunnel in August 2007:

Imported%2520Photos%252000144.jpg?gl=GB

MS Jackson mi duck:

The tall things near the Monkey Puzzle tree are Caithness flagstones. They were formerly lining the back of the platform but I dug them out because they were beginning to decay. Caithness flagstones are a fine grained sandstone varying in colour from red to black, depending upon which rock srata they come from. As they are exposed to frost and general weathering the thin lays separate and crumble. This takes many years but these have been in use for 140 years and are no longer fit for edging.

Now then....Why are they standing up like that? Well, In the far north there are many stone circles and even a stone horseshoe nearby at Achavanich, so in keeping with local tradition I stood them upright as a feature. Also in local tradition I aligned them to the cardinal points of the compass ie North, South, East and West. Now they can be used as both ornament AND a sundial.

Between the stones and the tree nearest to you there are some beachstones - see them? Well, in the shade of that birch tree is a pond and the beachstones are the pond edging.

Beneath the Ash tree in the centre of the lawn in picture No.3 is where I get my St. Georges mushrooms in April and May.

In picture No.4 you can see a circular stone in the lawn. This is the well. It is about twelve feet deep and is always full of clean water. I use it for making my beer.

The land beyond the greenhouse is about an acre of mixed woodland and glades with the odd garden and feature dotted about here and there. This is the area that Julie's daughter calls "The Park".

Native Plant Verbascum or Aaron's Rod growing in the park area:

Imported%2520Photos%252000130.jpg?gl=GB

A poor quality photo of Gregory the gnome. I made him as a present for my mother in 1978 and she named him after Gregory St., Lenton where I lived at the time.

Imported%2520Photos%252000114.jpg?gl=GB

Another picture of the park:

Imported%2520Photos%252000103.jpg?gl=GB

lovely setting for your lovely garden / park compo

something you dont seem to see much now are livingstone daisys i used to love them when my dad grew them every year in his garden such lovly bright colors

I had some Livingstone Daisies last year but none this year.

Thanks for the advice! Nice to know what i have growing now and how to look after them! Were doing the garden in the next few weeks like i said in one of my last comments, so im going to grow the sweet peas up the fence up the bottom where were graveling it & ill possibley grow the other climing plants up the fence the other end :) Do you think they'll be ok in the pots for the next couple of months? i wondered why they were growing all over the shop, i had to prop them up with sticks lol!

They really need moving straight away. In a couple of months they will have outgrown their pots and become stunted.

This year the ferns in the tunnel are doing quite well:

IMG_4150.JPG?gl=GB

The Erigeron is flowering its little heads off as usual:

IMG_4152.JPG?gl=GB

Mums sorted me out some pretty large tubs to borrow, she had a couple of potted tree's in them so their quite large and deep, Potting them this weekend, then moving them into my new flower beds once all is finished in a few weeks. Do the plants remain through the year and just flower in the summer?

...Love the photo of your daisies, big fan of daisies here... My favourite are the dog daisy but my favourite flower in general and also related to the daisy is the Gurbera (not sure how its spelt?) looking for a plant again i can have in the house, i believe morrisons will have them late summer as thats where iv got my last night but it died and didnt come back

:) Compo, just curiosity: why are you growing ferns in the poly tunnel?

I love to see ferns growing in my garden, especially when they grow really really tall ; makes it seem more woodland like.

The poly tunnel looks quite exotic, love seeing the pics, would hate to go in it, would play havoc with my hayfeaver!