'How does your garden grow?'

24 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

I think the quickest and most efficient way would be to get your local tree surgeon to shift it with a stump grinder.

I couldn't shift the stump of the dead Almond tree in the front lawn. Rushcliffe Environmental services charged £36. They sent three blokes, alorry and the biggest stump grinder I've ever seen. Barriers went up to protect next doors car. Twenty minutes later, a nice big hole for my new cherry tree and a ton of bedding. Lots of manure and topsoil gone in as well.

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of our cherry trees which was planted 60+ years ago, the first photo is in a book we have about the first occupants of our house, Harry Freckleton and his wife who had a photographic studio on Mar

First runners of the year some salt butter and a baked spud lovely jubbly  

That's on my to do list  nonna, chilli jam, apple and sage jelly. Just finished a batch of plum and ginger chutney. My family love them for the winter months and they make good Christmas pre

Make a feature of it Margie. I too dislike destroying any plants/ trees etc. Several years ago, we had a large silver birch cut down, but I insisted that they leave the stump about 2 feet tall. I've since put a swan shaped basket on it, with bedding plants in it.

Another birch we had cut down, was left as just a 2 inch high stump, and on that, I have put a very old terracotta pot with a fuscia in it.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, MargieH said:

Thanks so much for all the advice everyone......  but  because of all the new growth, I really would feel like a murderer if I killed it now!   Silly,  I know but that's just me.   It's not in the middle of the lawn anyway so it's not a big inconvenience to leave it in situ, and it can be made a feature of with some cowslips and primroses round it.   I'll just keep trimming the shoots and see what happens.    If it does get out of hand, I suppose I'll have to have a rethink....  

ok, ignore my last reply! when they redid the pathways round Colwick park, a lot of the posts which they used to edge the roads started sprouting. You could try and grow mistletoe in the bark - worth its weight in gold come December!

• Like 1

Got a very old tree stump in the middle of my lovely lawn here at my new place,, Chap who did my lawns yesterday offered to take it out,,told him no thanks,,its obviously very old and it gives the garden character,, its grey,about two feet tall and eighteen inches wide,,birds settle on it,,it makes a good seat,,going to make it a feature with Roses around it,,

Early and late light it looks as if a fox is on the garden,, very nice,,

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Put bird feeders on it Ben, or just sprinkle seed on the top. It's so relaxing watching them feeding. I could sit and watch them all day if possible !

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, MargieH said:

Thanks so much for all the advice everyone......  but  because of all the new growth, I really would feel like a murderer if I killed it now! 

I'm. The same Margie,,can't kill owt,,still got a scar trying to protect frogs from some big lads (i was about ten) who thought it funny to shoot them with Air guns,,

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been steadily potting on my Echinacea and Aquilegia seedlings  I've left them inside the cold frame, but with the lid up.  Just for tidiness really.  The other night when out with my torch on 'slug patrol', I caught a little slug.. maybe 1" long, on one of the Echinacea.  Next morning, I realised that it had taken the growing tips out of several seedlings. It won't be doing that any more..  We'll see in time if it has done irreparable damage.

I planted three new Delphiniums a few weeks ago. One has grown on unhindered and is in full flower.  The second had a flower spike neatly 'excised' by a slug.. as did a third.  Slug pellets seem to have had no effect and there seem to be very few slugs about.  After a week or so the second Delphinium managed to send up a couple of flower spikes which are now close to flowering.

The third Delphinium looked healthy enough, but just wasn't producing any flower spkes.  I looked at it closely every night for a couple of weeks but found nothing until......  last night after the Graham Nash concert, I went out with my torch and there, chomping away was a MAHOOSIVE SLUG.  This thing was at least 5 inches long and bright orange.  Suffice to say that it is no more..  Here's hoping my third Delphinim will now have mmore than leaves to show...

• Upvote 1

Does anyone else grow Hibiscus?

Mrs Col bought a little Hibiscus years ago.  I planted it in a border and it took around ten-fifteen years to become a large and wide shrub... about 6 feet plus high and wide.  It was only after last year's very hot summer.., that it finally flowered.  All very nice but IMHO hardly worth the space and effort it takes up.  The main problem is that it constantly 'falls over'. Every branch droops and wants to be on the ground.  I've been online and it seems this is a feature of these things.  Given the choice I'd just do away with it.. but if anyone has any better ideas?

Col,  all those images in my head of huge slugs is putting me off my breakfast.....

Nowt wrong with Slugs Margie, I quite like 'em. Especially griddled with a little garlic butter or even battered and deep fried !:hungr:

I've just watched (part of) the video of HFW  cooking slugs and I feel quite sick.  Can we change the subject to flowers or something...

It seems to me that it is Fearnley-Whittingstall who has changed the subject.  He's gone from a full on carnivore, to some sort of healthy eating environmentalist tree hugger.  Whether he's had a genuine  'Damascene' conversion, or just has an eye to his ratings.. is another matter..

Cynical?.. Moi?...

Anyway, I'm not having breakfast.. it's too late.

May have a bacon butty for lunch though.. :)

I think Whittingstall has the makings of a first rate pillock . Television pays out obscene money and he’s got to keep in front of the cameras to earn it. Anything to do with environment is the bandwagon to be on at the moment. If you can’t save it at least make money from it!

• Upvote 1

I used to enjoy the River Cottage series, but now it's all about saving the planet. What about the other 99.999% of the world having a go !

We watched a 30 minute garden make-over programme last night. 3 presenters came on, and I'm looking at the girl, thinking her voice is familiar. I said to hubby, blimey, that's Charlie Dimmock. We haven't seen her for nigh on 15-20 years when Ground Force was on BBC-America. She of the bra-less teeshirt fame. She's twice the woman she was.

Help needed. Why are the leaves on my acer going white at the tips and then brown and crinkly.  It is Still producing new leaves. Am I over or under watering it or doesn’t it like too much direct sun?

Kath, your mention of Charlie made me do a google to see if she stll refuses to wear support, jeeze she's got fat!!

Kath, I agree with you and Ayup. She looks a proper scruff nowadays. I know we're all getting older but oh dear ! Surprised she's even let on television, she's not doing herself any favours. Wouldn't be so bad if she washed her hair and brushed it occasionally. Can't stand to watch the programme now. She's not the working mans crumpet any more !