'How does your garden grow?'

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of our cherry trees which was planted 60+ years ago, the first photo is in a book we have about the first occupants of our house, Harry Freckleton and his wife who had a photographic studio on Mar

First runners of the year some salt butter and a baked spud lovely jubbly  

That's on my to do list  nonna, chilli jam, apple and sage jelly. Just finished a batch of plum and ginger chutney. My family love them for the winter months and they make good Christmas pre

6 hours ago, Ayupmeducks said:

when an ex Moderator pulls me up for a very rare quoting on my part. 

Yes thats exactly what I was thinking. It seems he's mad at the world. I'm sure we are all trying to moderate our quotes but since now there are no numbers on the posts its very difficult to cut down especially when posts are far back. I have been a culprit in the past but now I refrain in answering and its putting me further away from the friends I have come to appreciate.

I don't think theres any need for the strong sarcasm.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

It is also sad to see some of the more poisonous elements of anti-social media starting to make an appearance on this site.

Yes it is sad and not necessary

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Nor me,,reckon i was half mod half rocker,,,which turned out to be ME,,,still not really changed,,,jacket,,Jeans,,shirt tie,,now neckerchief still a bit Rocker a bit Mod,,,had a scooter for short time and Motor bike even shorter,,loved em both as i rode across Bulwell commons humps and hollows with Christine,,Sandra,,Wendy,,Angela,,Jean or even Sue and Maureen clinging to me,,

Answer to your question Barrie ,,don't know.........lol

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

had a scooter for short time and Motor bike even shorter,,loved em both as i rode across Bulwell commons humps and hollows with Christine,,Sandra,,Wendy,,Angela,,Jean or even Sue and Maureen clinging to me,,

Must've been a bloody big bike. Or did you have a multi-seat sidecar ?

• Like 4

I have been gifted a Venus flytrap with no instructions, until someone actually told me what it was I was going to transplant it into my bee garden. Bee garden means large patch of weeds according to my family, which is what it's supposed to be.

In answer to BK, it wont be a small bonsai tree, love them but too much trouble to do. It will be about 2’ high, just a case of keep taking off new growth so it becomes a miniature tree. (Will try and get a picture when she looks a bit healthier but not promising as I have only managed to get pictures on site once despite numerous attempts following the same instructions.) Going to get an acorn from the woods we go in and try it with an oak, I just love them.

I have never “gardened” before but am rapidly collecting a lot of plants and repotting etc, suppose it isn’t real gardening but am becoming obsessed. I find myself gravitating towards the plants in the supermarkets we go to. I have got a quote (ouch!) to get front and back garden paved so will just have pots in back garden. At the rate I am going it will become a full time job looking after them and repotting the ones my boys knock over whilst investigating/running around them. 

Thank you SG, for your reply. It will be interesting to see how you get on. You can always send one to Gem for her miniatures.;) For myself, where I work, it's the opposite end of the scale, mostly Sequoia Gigantium ( Giant Redwood)., or  400 year old oaks, (still bearing fruit). B.

I once had a little motorbike, this was before the days of mods/rockers ( whatever they are !). Thought I were the bees knees til I fell off. Soon said goodbye to it. It were a 125cc James cadet. Got meself a Raleigh moped instead.

Mopeds no good' Barrie,,...............no Pillion seat,, they were for lads who did'nt give the girls a ride.......and what did you wear for Mopeding  ?

It did have a pillion seat Ben, it were a Raleigh Supermatic I believe. I used to sit back and lean forward to lower wind resistance. That way I could achieve 40mph. Gotta admit, never thought about girls in those days. Soon changed me mind though !

Taters? In early spring I planted a few rows of Pentland Javelins and Charlottes. Lifted a row last week and disappointed with the crop. three or four decent spuds from each plant and lots of marbles. I can only put this down to not being able to reach the plot for watering. Is it to late to buy a very long hose and to start watering?

Note to Benj - I rode a tandem - my girlfriends had to do half the work while I steered ;)

• Like 1

They've been irrigating round here for ages in the fields by the Trent. They didn't even stop during the heavy rains. I noticed that in potato fields at Hawton, watering pipes were laid along the rows of potatoes. That must have been an expensive outlay.

IMG-2214.jpg

For Stavertongirl,, This is my version of a Bonsai gone wrong !! Couldn't find a pot to suit. At 200 + feet, it's got too big to snip bits off. See the shiny bits where kids and adults climb on and slide off. Ah well, back to the drawing board or greenhouse.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1