'How does your garden grow?'

Elements of William Blake, Beekay, also an anteater. Is that a Hedgehog kissing a Morlock?

Had a tree in our Garden, no idea on species, had to go, affecting neighbours insurance.

Really old, still about 12 feet high, but zero offshoots.

When it rained, some brilliant images on the bark, Jesus and a small monkey were my favourites!

Wish I"d taken photos.

• Like 1
  • Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of our cherry trees which was planted 60+ years ago, the first photo is in a book we have about the first occupants of our house, Harry Freckleton and his wife who had a photographic studio on Mar

First runners of the year some salt butter and a baked spud lovely jubbly  

That's on my to do list  nonna, chilli jam, apple and sage jelly. Just finished a batch of plum and ginger chutney. My family love them for the winter months and they make good Christmas pre

Cheers HSR., had to wait until the flaming kids moved out of picture. Could'nt take a shot while they were facing me, although their dad wasn't bothered. But we have rules about invading privacy and all that modern day PC crap. One has to be very careful where one aims a lens. B.

Your welcome Beekay, great picture, shame the modern world destroys these beasts, The one in my garden/neighbour was nothing like this, very narrow but reaching for the sky ! The so called surgeon of the trees simply butchered the main trunk..even over  a decade later looks like a butcher job with a few offshoots.. might as well of  bought in the poison and be done with it. 

I would like to think that at Tree surgery school they teach a principal of meddle with the main trunk as a last resort.

In reality it's more likely, I'm competive, price wise and I'm not prepared to swing about like a monkey at that height!

I thought it was another person on here who liked to wander in the garden almost naked...

On 7/25/2019 at 5:27 PM, MargieH said:

wander in the garden almost naked...

Yep, sounds like me alright! Went out without my dressing gown the other evening and was near bitten to death by the dreaded Scottish midges!  They go straight for the naughty bits!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I almost managed to grow some Portabella mushroms this year. The spawn grew and spread nicely but I misjudged the casing time and killed the spawn :( Trying again with a new batch of spawn. :biggrin:

• Like 1

Do you get fireflies up there, yet?

Here, they seem to get more prolific and spectacular every summer and I wondered if the increasing temperatures spreading northwards had permitted them to thrive.

• Like 1

We used to get loads every year but we don't see them anymore , think they've emigrated or you've got them all. Tell them we aren't far away and the weather is similar. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Our indian fig tree is growing like crazy. Its already produced offspring, they've also in their turn produced offspring and now we are about on the 5th or 6 th generation. We've given away so many " pale" and they too are producing offspring.. We have them in pots everywhere. Think now that we'll stop and leave the ggggggmother alone to see if she produces fruit. I doubt it but you never know. They grow around Liguria and the lakes so I don't see why not. We arent too far from there.

22 hours ago, jonab said:

Do you get fireflies up there, yet?

No fireflies Jonab.  Oddly, we don't have ants either.

Back in December 2014 the garden was visited by this Leucistic Chaffinch.  One day I noticed a local bird spotter with others searching the local hedgrows with cameras at the ready. When I asked what the fuss was about, he told me that they were looking for a reported Leucistic Chaffinch. For the past couple of weeks it had been hiding in our garden! I had no idea they were searching for it. By the time I discovered what the fuss was about, the bird had flown.

y6jDNjPRvlnrjw6P7ry1cNb0SG-OBxwCQrRefGso

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Beautiful bird Compo. What are you going to do with your pumpkin ? I've never seen one that colour ours are usually a yucky yellow and plain green ones not speckled.

Somehow don't think that the bus will be able to carry it.smile2

It does a bit Jonab, had one the other day as at the moment our melons are a hit and miss but piel di sapo you can guarantee they are always good.

Re ants I think they are all down here. Flying ants are beginning to congregate.

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, nonnaB said:

What are you going to do with your pumpkin ?

I think I shall invite the entire village up for a feast, Nonna!

:rotfl:

• Like 1

What does the Piemont grape crop look like this year, Brenda?

Although not renowned for grapes here, there are a lot grown and to me (very much a non-expert in viticulture) it appears to be a very good year.

In fact, it looks to be a good year for all the harvestables - farm crops and perfumery raw materials.

Not sure Jonab. The vendemmia hasn't started yet and the grapes seem to be still small so will either have to ask my neighbour , they have vineyards all round us or go for a walk down the road to see, which at the moment is what I'm not very capable of doing. I pass in the car but as the roads around here are very narrow its best I only take a quick look. The moscato grape will be the first and I think that will be towards the end of august.

• 4 months later...

Could someone tell me when I cut my roses in pots back please? Is it when the leaves fall off? How far do I cut them back? Also same for my fuscia.