'How does your garden grow?'

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of our cherry trees which was planted 60+ years ago, the first photo is in a book we have about the first occupants of our house, Harry Freckleton and his wife who had a photographic studio on Mar

First runners of the year some salt butter and a baked spud lovely jubbly  

That's on my to do list  nonna, chilli jam, apple and sage jelly. Just finished a batch of plum and ginger chutney. My family love them for the winter months and they make good Christmas pre

10 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I prune my roses in November and again in February, if needed.

I've got a small (4ft) White rose bush in the front. It's still producing flowers - Do I leave it alone, or prune it back for Spring?

S.G., one theory is that if you cut back at this term of year it may encourage the plant to put a spurt on to make new growth, which you don't  want, because the plant needs to rest and winter weather won't  help it. Personally, my choice is, if there are no more flowers I  prune. I've  trimmed Rose's right back to about 6-8" and they've  done very well. I found that roses at this late in the year don't  always open or just rot away. Having said that, we've  got two little beauties growing near the door in a pot. The plant only being about 18" high.

I tend to prune very lightly when the flowers have all finished, then properly prune around the end of March

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone grow Bamboo?

I'm looking for a clump forming variety which will grow up to, but no higher than about 12 feet.  I want it to provide light screening, without being too dense.. also ideally evergreen. Any ideas?

Just a word of warning DJ, bamboo is the fastest growing grass. My neighbor had some in their garden and it totally destroyed their patio, slabs lifting ect. When I went round to relay the slabs, i couldn't believe the root system, they were thicker than my finger and a good way from the actual plant. It took considerable effort to get rid of the damm thing!!

Thanks for the encouragment peeps... :rolleyes:

I am aware that Bamboo can be invasive, which is why I said I was looking for a 'clump forming' variety/species.  The RHS web site gives lots of info and differentiates between 'clumping' and 'spreading' varieties.  I was just hoping for a personal recommendation.

No worries Sue. I'll check out the various UK Bamboo suppliers and see what they recommend.  If I get it right.. I may also end up with a source of Bamboo canes for my Beans...:biggrin:

• Like 1
  • 3 years later...

Spent 4 hours on my large Garden yesterday (size of a football Penalty area so large by my standards)....my Gardening now days consists of ''Weeding'' and Moving over 100 Plants (in Pots)  cant Dig anymore due to restricted shoulder agility........when i have moved all the Plants it really does look like a different Garden..........

Anyway this morning every bone in my body Aches so looking forward to my neighbours son coming to Mow my large lovely Lawns.........

I Put different food out every night.......and i know its the Hedgehogs that enjoy it.......and my Babs just sits and watches them....she goes out most of the night except when its raining.......Last night put a packet of cream cheese out........didn't think it would get eaten...but Mr Hedgehog polished it off...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It's good that you put food out, Ben, but not dairy products, please. Hogs can't digest milk products (although they seem to like them) and it makes them ill. Babs won't mind sharing her cat food and biscuits.

I Bow to your knowledge Jill on NO more dairy products............They do enjoy Babs food.......and i think she enjoys watching them enjoying it.......:)

• Like 1

They like cat food and dog food. Little baby Spike loves cat Crunchies. I can hear him munching them some distance away. He's on his own much of the time now. I think he's reached the stage where he doesn't want to be seen out with his mum!  His mum, Jemima, does look rather rotund and I fear she may be expecting a second litter which isn't good news as the hoglets will struggle to reach hibernation weight before the winter.  You can help by continuing to put food out and hoping for a mild autumn and winter to avoid hibernation.

• Like 1

Jill, my little one is still arriving every night for its dried catfood and separate water dish between 9.30 and 10. No sign of the momma for a while but glad we’re fattening up the little un. Harold to us.

• Like 2

I used to have a Harold, Mrs B. He only passed through my garden on his way to somewhere else and was always in a tremendous hurry. He never ate anything. That left more for the others!  Also had a Hilda some years ago and a Horace.