'How does your garden grow?'

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of our cherry trees which was planted 60+ years ago, the first photo is in a book we have about the first occupants of our house, Harry Freckleton and his wife who had a photographic studio on Mar

Ayup, BK and Phil - I expect you all look as fit as you did 20 years ago?  

I think you are all being very rude and disrespectful to a woman who obviously knows there's more to a person than their outward appearance.    She should NOT be an object to be judged.   In fact, I t

On 24/03/2018 at 1:42 PM, IAN123. said:

Know owt' about bordeaux mix for celery?

Ian: See my separate topic "Bordeaux Mix" for a description of how to make "Excess bordeaux" for celery.  Sod the EU and its bleddy rules and banning of anything and everything that works!

• Like 1

I have been busy this weekend putting up new trellises on one of the sheds. The idea is to plant annuals in the 16ft long raised bed and climbers for the trellises.  Don't know if it will work but it's worth a try.  I managed to finish it just in time to miss the next bout of snow, due tomorrow and Thursday.  Looks like winter might just move into autumn this year, giving spring and summer a miss. the chicken wire on the top of the bed is to keep the bleddy cat off!

26330509447_51f7d38739_b.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

The Cuckoo Pint or Lords and Ladies plant (Arum maculatum) is a native wild flower.  This one is oin my polytunnel, hence it flowers a couple of weeks earlier than the outdoor ones.

27557213518_81591b6db4_c.jpg

the weather hads finally picked up a littel here in Caithness. Over teh weekend it was thick fog in the mornings but nice sunshine, albeit with a bitter north-east wind, in the afternoon.  The temperature rose to a heady 12°C and so I got on with some sowing.  I soed two rows of carrots and a row of beetroot; all of which I covered with fleece since the frosts are not over just yet.  It will be late May before we are safe from frost.  Most of my spuds are now in and two lots of Alderman Peas, treated witih paraffin as recommended by a nottstalgian. can't give full credit - forgotten who recommended it - DOH!).  Here's hoping for a wee bitty mor sunshine this week - currently foggy again.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

One of our cherry trees which was planted 60+ years ago, the first photo is in a book we have about the first occupants of our house, Harry Freckleton and his wife who had a photographic studio on Market Street, many of us no doubt have photos taken by Harry when we were babies, I certainly have some!  The second photo was taken today, with the same tree in full bloom.  

44_F527_EC-_E540-489_D-8_FF0-9_B6_C5_CFB4_ADC1_EBC-_CAC9-42_E2-_BC9_A-_B3513_BCB03_B13_B09-969_A-4_E30-9_B9_E-_A0_D14533

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Your cherries, LizzieM, look like mine did about 3 - 4 weeks ago. Just had a look at them and it seems that there is a very good fruit set this year.

The trees produce very large juicy black cherries and its great to sit outside under their canopy in a summer evening having dinner and then, instead of pudding, just reach up and pick ultra-fresh fruit from the trees.

Should have added:

Even better when the fireflies are out dancing.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Our apple tree was looking good before our two resident wood pigeons decided that the weather is nice enough for a bit more hanky panky - at least one of them has decided... the other one is playing hard to get!  

The apple tree is taking quite a battering with all their activity and it's not just petals that have fallen off the tree - whole clusters of potential fruit has been broken off.  I don't think I'll be moaning about too many apples to prepare and freeze this year!  

Here's just a small selection of what I've picked off the grass today..

IMG_4193.jpg

• Like 2

Small price to pay Margie,, for a bit of ''Hanky panky''    bless em.......love Pigeons...........

• Like 1

When they aren't in the tree, they strut about on the grass and mimic each other's movements like  head bobbing, spreading their feathers and just staring at each other, but when (presumably) the male tries to get closer and into a suitable position, the female runs off.  

Bit like humans?   At least it was for the teenage me!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Jonah, we couldn’t eat the cherries that our trees produce, far too bitter unfortunately.  

As for pigeons ...... we have a couple of wood pigeons that hang around under the bird feeders, tidying up the seeds that have been dropped. Well today a pair of feral pigeons turned up to get their share and I couldn’t believe how bullying the wood pigeons were to them, they were scrapping and soon got rid of the intruders. 

• Like 2

Yes i remember Margie.......had all me back feathers up as well....you were just too quick.........

• Upvote 1

The Pigeons where i work at week-ends know me,,cos i i always feed em.......and daft enough i know some of them now,,....a couple actually land on my shoulder........my favourite is one with a deformed leg........about a year ago i caught it and undid some long cotton thread from its leg, it had cut in and was bleeding,, i'm sure it remembers me......and never flies away when the others do...........

• Like 5

Ben, lol to your last but one post!

.....back to the garden birds, I prefer the collared doves to the wood pigeons.  They are so sleek and seem so gentle compared with the strutting wood pigeons.   ...and I believe they mate more discreetly, too!!

nice story about the pigeon with the deformed leg.... I expect it does remember you.

• Like 1

Yes i know what you mean Margie........i love watching the inter-action with different sorts,,..even Crows and Seagulls....

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! had a sunny day yesterday.  Temperature went up to a stunning 23°C.....a near record for this time of year.  Sadly, it is back to cold and wet today.

On a different subject: Peas.  i soaked my pea seed overnight in paraffin to stop the birds and beasties from eating them. They ate the bleddy lot, all bar ONE!  Had to re-sow but this time i sowed in small pots before planting out.

• 1 month later...

Yer razzers are nice and early NBL. Mine are still in flower!

Going like a dream Compo, but the toms are late this year, with that bad start to the season I reckon on a month late.

Still the Mini Munch cumbers are producing like sting. I grew them for the first time last year, liked the taste and was surprised by the yield, thought it might be a fluke, but no its the same this year. Folks are now steering clear of me otherwise they get weighed down with cumbers.

• Like 1

Round, yellow cucumbers are grown here. They are yellow when ripe and called citron concombre - lemon cucumbers. There is little resemblance to a lemon, apart from the colour and the shape - which is round, not lemon shaped. They are nice to eat in a salad but can be a bit "pippy" if you're not careful to remove the middle.