'How does your garden grow?'

That looks like a Clematis 'Rubra montana'. Wait until it finishes flowering then cut it back as hard as you want (not right back to the ground though). New growth this year will flower next year.

Re the grass. Why not hire a turf remover from yer local tool hire shop? Do the job in a couple of hours or less.

The garden looks great. I too like to make thinks from old stuff - owt fer nowt, that's me! I have a number of benches made out of old pallets.

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of our cherry trees which was planted 60+ years ago, the first photo is in a book we have about the first occupants of our house, Harry Freckleton and his wife who had a photographic studio on Mar

Ayup, BK and Phil - I expect you all look as fit as you did 20 years ago?  

I think you are all being very rude and disrespectful to a woman who obviously knows there's more to a person than their outward appearance.    She should NOT be an object to be judged.   In fact, I t

:biggrin: Pooh Bear, thank you so much for the photos - I've taken some of my garden with a digital, it's now a case of finding out how to download them.

It's wonderful what you've achieved in your garden: building your own aviaries. When I was a kid and playing hide and seek with my friends, I'd often hide down an entry where the occupant of the house had done the same as you and built aviaries in his garden. I remember crouching at the side of the hedge and listening to the birdsong - thought it so beautiful.

'I like freebies,' you say; these stimulate your imagination into creativity and there's nothing wrong with that!

:) Compo, thanks for the advice on 'Rubia Montana'; I've two of these growing profusely. :)

Thought about the turf remover Compo....but the work is in shaking the soil out of the sod and removing deep roots.If only I could remove the surface and replace with new topsoil....can't afford that.

Ms J: Early flowering Clematis can all be pruned after flowering because they then put on the growth for next year's flowers; flowering on the previous season's growth.

You're welcome Ms. Gardeners always try to help other gardeners wherever possible. Sorry I couldn't answer your question directly - I've never grown Group 2 Clematis.

I must confess Compo, I don't even know the name of the twice flowering clematis but with the info. you've kindly put on for me I'll try and find out; it's a beautiful blue/ lavender clematis.

Go down the list and check each one against yours on Google images.

Well...it took me all day to do this bit,but I'm quite proud of myself.It's been a case of do a bit then rest all day...I've been ok today, breathing quite well for a change.I'm not going to overdo it...just a bit each day.

There's the biggest pile of turf and roots even off this small area...gonna pile it high and cover...should rot down for next spring.

7d1c13e7.jpg

c09cbff6.jpg

Well done Poohbear, a beautiful piece of cleared land - a canvas ready to work on. :)

There's still a great sense of satisfaction achieved, even in doing: 'just a bit each day'.

Northern Marsh orchids are beginning to flower in the upper garden. Always a harbinger of Summer.

Glad I did the front garden last year when my health was better.I wanted something cheap and simple in front of the house,so made an island of logs and covered the rest with gravel.The rest I just carpeted with bark.

c1678e8d.jpg

00b10b05.jpg

Good stuff Poohbear, specially the picket (Pallet) fence, hope you find the energy & good health to complete the rest of the back garden.................... slywink

Poohbear, having recently carpeted my front garden with bark chippings, I was quite pleased with the effect: the black/brown colour of the chippings really set off the lime acers.

However, I was obviously being spied on whilst going about this task, because a few days later, the birds had made an awful mess on my pathways whilst digging amongst the chippings for some tasty whatevers? :unsure:

PS: I don't mind getting the sweeping brush out of the garden shed occasionally and sweeping the chippings back where they belong! :)

I recently decided to replace, at request of SWMBO, all pebbles in front garden with 'blue slate' chippings, priced it up in 25kg bags from B&Q.........would have cost £200+, so bought a one Tonne jumbo bag from builders merchants for £84 with free delivery, the chippings aren't washed but after a couple of downpours soon will be...........................

Good stuff Poohbear, specially the picket (Pallet) fence, hope you find the energy & good health to complete the rest of the back garden....................

Thanks...but that fence wasn't one of mine...built the one on the front wall and the twelve foot gate out of budget materials though...it'll outlive me.

1b93ce7c.jpg

• Upvote 1

Apologies for the pallet remark, looking at the pic' just posted it's obvious you building skills far surpass those of you neighbour/predecessor, Looks impressive......................... :)

th_californiatrip2011may080.jpgLove the low maintenance stone chips would love them on my front yard l spend far too much time looking after the lawn.Posting some photo's of the wild Trilliums on the back ravine,they come every spring for about a week.
  • Upvote 1