'How does your garden grow?'

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of our cherry trees which was planted 60+ years ago, the first photo is in a book we have about the first occupants of our house, Harry Freckleton and his wife who had a photographic studio on Mar

First runners of the year some salt butter and a baked spud lovely jubbly  

That's on my to do list  nonna, chilli jam, apple and sage jelly. Just finished a batch of plum and ginger chutney. My family love them for the winter months and they make good Christmas pre

Hanging baskets are a month behind here this year with the very cold weather throughout April and early May.Very few dared to plant them with the risk of frost.

:) RGR, many thanks for your flower photographs: the bright, white trilliums and the wild violets . . .

My favourite has to be your white peonie #14; I do believe there's dew drops on its petals. An exhibition piece? :)

Apologies for the pallet remark, looking at the pic' just posted it's obvious you building skills far surpass those of you neighbour/predecessor, Looks impressive......................... :)

Some fine pictures in this thread - I love the fence-on-the-wall. Low maintenance seems to be the general idea, leading to some fine solutions.

Still a few Spring flowers in my garden and many of the shrubs and trees are now starting to show their blossom:

A white tulip and mosquito:

IMG_4104.JPG?gl=GB

Chives:

IMG_4105.JPG?gl=GB

Pæony:

IMG_4106.JPG?gl=GB

A blue thingumy:

IMG_4107.JPG?gl=GB

Meconopsis:

IMG_4108.JPG?gl=GB

Exochorda shrub:

IMG_4109.JPG?gl=GB

Rowan:

IMG_4102.JPG?gl=GB

Still some bluebells under an ash tree:

IMG_4101.JPG?gl=GB

Spring flowering rockery:

IMG_4099.JPG?gl=GB

Copper beech now looking business-like:

IMG_4098.JPG?gl=GB

Comfrey in the hedgerow (Good compost maker):

IMG_4097.JPG?gl=GB

Jupiter apple blossom:

IMG_4096.JPG?gl=GB

Hawthorn:

IMG_4093.JPG?gl=GB

The three cairns:

IMG_4092.JPG?gl=GB

:) Compo, many thanks for the photos, they'll keep me going until I can find the time to download my own. I especially like: 'Copper Beech', 'Jupiter Apple Blossom' and 'The Three Cairns'.

PS: You couldn't have noticed that the topic is called: 'How does your garden grow?' and not: 'How does your Estate flourish'? (kidding ya! :biggrin: )

Compo lad, I think you're mistaken, the thingumy is a whatsit............................... :biggrin:

When we first moved in here 18yrs ago it was just an empty field of grass. It has taken all that time just to get it habitable. It is a garden, albeit on the large side, although Julie's grandkids call it "Two acre Park".

:biggrin:

You could be right about the Whatsit, Paulus. I thought it was a thingumy but now I'm not so sure.

Where's Elvis gone?

Elvis has left the building...........................to work in a chipshop (where'd that come from?)

Ms.: The builders are ripping off the roof tiles next week so I'll pop up there and get a couple of aerial pictures of the garden.

Your profile picture was Elvis, or am I mistaken again?

No Compo, but I decided to show something more appropriate, as you have..........................being a scruffy old sod (allegedly)....................so I picked something soft & malleable, with no backbone. LOL

There's a link between our Avatars, tenuous, but a link none the less...................................... :unsure:

:) Back to the: 'How Does Your Garden Grow?' topic :)

Today has been a no, no day as regards gardening, due to the persistent rain. However, yesterday out there, a delight was awaiting me:

I'd purchased a pear tree from Wilko's, five years back and it's been real slow growing; it's been a wonder it's survived due to the harsh Winter before last and the recent frosts. Yesterday I noticed two tiny fruits hanging from the tree - surviving all the odds. :)

The gorse and broom is also typical of Sherwood Forest on the Bunter sandstone...still to be seen on verges throughout North Notts...People always think of birch and oaks when Sherwood Forest is mentioned.Not true...a vast area of North Notts all the way into Basford and the present day forest (Radford) was not only trees but vast areas of heathland with heather and gorse.Typical wherever sandstone is found.And yet in Nottingham an area of clay marle is close by...the reason so many brickyards were and are to be found in the city and Mapperley area.Millions of Mapperley bricks were used to construct St.Pancras Station and other well known sites nationwide.

:) 'a vast area of North Notts all the way into Basford and the present day forest (Radford) was not only trees but vast areas of heathland with heather and gorse'. :)

How wonderful to picture this Poohbear and the interesting information which follows, regarding St Pancras Station.

:) Sounds of Nature in the Garden (from some time last week, whilst taking a break, enjoying a cuppa):

a brisk breeze blowing through the trees, leaves rustling

the sweet, twittering of birds

the black bird's whistle

birdsong, so sweet in the distance

the frantic squawking of a big, black bird hurrying over - piercing the calm

Back to the Garden ............................ :)

:) Many thanks to those who have contributed to this Gardening Topic so far.

From now on this topic will be dedicated to the memory of:

:) CARLTONGAL :)

A Lady

who loved gardening

- being creative and growing things -

albeit in her back yard. :)

RIP Kat

Crikey! So that's KAT! I'm so sorry, I didn't know who Kat was until now - I hope you can read this and that you are happy wherever you are. I'm off out into the garden to have a quiet minute thinking of you.....