'How does your garden grow?'

Heres one or two of my Red Kidney beans taken this a.m.

My favorite veggie. They seem to grwo well here as they did in Canada and in my old grandad's allotment in Netherfield.

SUNP0007.jpg

SUNP0006.jpg

Also growing Cucumbers and Sweet potatoes for the first time.

That old red Georgia clay needs a lot of fiber peat moss etc. to losen it up. It sets like concrete in the heat.

Ignore the date. I need to reset my camera clock.

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of our cherry trees which was planted 60+ years ago, the first photo is in a book we have about the first occupants of our house, Harry Freckleton and his wife who had a photographic studio on Mar

Ayup, BK and Phil - I expect you all look as fit as you did 20 years ago?  

I think you are all being very rude and disrespectful to a woman who obviously knows there's more to a person than their outward appearance.    She should NOT be an object to be judged.   In fact, I t

Pixie: Gerberas are half-hardy perennials, they don't like frost. Did you leave them outside over winter? If so, it is probably why they died.

Pot up your plants and the tubs will be ok to keep them in all year, providing you feed them occasionally. Most of them mare annuals and will set seed. they will not regrow in Spring unless you save teh seed and sow in next year. Your Gladioli will return, bigger and stronger, next year so don't throw them out!

Loppylugs: Your beans and Sweet pots seem to be well advanced. Looks like you're going to have a bumper crop.

That corner is dark and shady; not much grows there but the ferns are doing well. Most of the ferns in the tunnel are not suitable for outdoors in northern Britain so they get some protection in their current position. There's madness in my method <grin>

Meant to post that in the veggie garden forum. Just getting old I guess. Anyway here's one of the wife's rose bush. Knockout Roses they are called. My motto tends to be if you can't eat it why grow it? :laugh:

SUNP0003.jpg

You can cut the Nasturtium flowers and put them on a salad to add a bit more colour as they are edible

Rog

Yes, they just keep on flowering time after time and the bush keeps getting bigger. Probably should trim them back in the fall but they are certainly a colorful addition to a garden. Require next to no maintenance. I would think you could get them in the UK. They seem quite at home whatever the weather.

• Upvote 1

Repotted the sweet peas this afternoon into a bigger pot, and made a 'teepee' type of structure from some large sticks i was given for plants to grow up, Iv also used these on the others we spoke about (now i cant remember their name!) propped them up a few days ago, theyre doing great now, full of colour, no more yellow leaves & they have some big bright orange, red and yellow flowers, some havent opend yet, Tempted to make a net type of thing up the side of the house and grow them up it. I say the side of the house, i have a old coal shed now my shed build onto the house, so its about 7ft high till the roof of it. the people before me must of had that idea as there was metal in a plated formation pined to the side of the house, around the kitchen windows and to the floor, but nothing growing.

...Also discovered i have half a garden full of poppy's! Some have opend but still at least a hundred or more left to bloom. i love poppy's, can you take the seeds out & regrow them in flower beds? or is it best to get rid when we do the garden?

The year progresses but the continuing cold north winds are causing havoc in the garden. Some of the survivors:

An old fashioned lupin - you don't see many of this colour these days:

IMG_4214.JPG?gl=GB

The former large greenhouse, long since collapsed:

IMG_4205.JPG?gl=GB

Disused path to the old goods siding:

IMG_4209.JPG?gl=GB

The bog garden - note the brown, frost damaged Gunnera leaves:

IMG_4213.JPG?gl=GB

Teasel in the foreground and broom flowering yellow:

IMG_4217.JPG?gl=GB

In the woodland section:

IMG_4221.JPG?gl=GB

Here's what to do with your old roof slates, saving a fortune in tipping taxes:

IMG_4222.JPG?gl=GB

And another idea to save tipping tax:

IMG_4227.JPG?gl=GB

Path through the bushes to the Greenhouse:

IMG_4231.JPG?gl=GB

Got the builders in doing the roof:

IMG_4233.JPG?gl=GB

Fleabane:

IMG_4239.JPG?gl=GB

I love poppies Pixie. I always gather the seed and spread them not only in the garden but all over the place wherever I find a bit of open ground. It's called "Guerilla gardening" and it's great fun.

I love poppies Pixie. I always gather the seed and spread them not only in the garden but all over the place wherever I find a bit of open ground. It's called "Guerilla gardening" and it's great fun.

I do the same.

I have a two litre ice cream container full of poppy seeds.

I always take some seeds with me when I go for a walk.

Good innit?! :smile:

It is, because once established they are there for good.

Ther are places in the Loughborough area where there are lots of them.(lilac,purple,red & pink.(not got any white ones thoigh)

The good thing is if you are careful no one knows you are doing it.

Even our local council grows popies.;) ;) ;)

Yer don't want too sow white one's, the council will be out with their weedkiller sprayers!

Yebut white poppies strike terror through the hearts of the hearts of the powers that be!

:) * I saw a lovely sight whilst on a bus journey the other day: at the side of the busy by-pass was growing a profusion of blood red poppies, their fragile petals fluttering in the wind; by their sides grew daisys, their tiny heads the brightest white ..........

* A beautiful moment captured, retained within my memory and brought back to 'live again' through my imagination ........ :)

• Upvote 1