National Civil War Museum, Newark

It's about time the county had a museum about the Civil War - after all it did start in the county and Charkles I also surrendered here.

Charkles...was in the Saracens head at the time...so piddled he couldn't pronounce his own name... :tongue:

"Dear Oliver...I give up you win...Charkles"

I echo what's been said , a good idea and one I shall certainly visit.

Only down the road from me, would be a crime not to go, the place is full of history though nice just to have a walk round on a Sunday morning, drop in one of the many cafe's, bistro's and the like for a brew and a bite

Rog

I love Newark and find it very underrated. I note that visitors who have stayed with me and taken the modest drive over there almost always feel the same way. I'm sure the residents have their own complaints like anywhere but I always feel that the town punches a little above it's weight in many ways. Used to love the riverside music festival that they put on in the summer and would take the pleasant train ride from Nottingham to do that. Nice little beer festival in the same area these days.

Newark has so much history and a fine little shopping centre and market place too. A little jewel in Nottinghamshire's crown.

For years Newark to me, was just a small town on the way to 'Skeggy'.

My wife and I visited the town,whilst vacationing in 1994,she was so impressed by the place.I then began to look at it as she did.

It has played a tremendous part in the history of the city and county of Nottingham.

Pleased to see that at last it has been recognized.

I have a little drive over to Newark quite often, usually for half a day on a Saturday. There's plenty to do for a few hours there apart from the routine shopping which is surprisingly good. A decent market, good butchers, delis, tea/coffee shop around the square. It has some excellent cafe's and tea rooms too.

Love a quick drink on the Castle Barge at the end of the visit.

The Castle, Gilstrap Centre and Millgate Museum (free) all offer historical interest.

122339-004-99AAE40F.jpg

There's a Marks & Spencer for the ladies! ;)

The locks are relaxing to sit by awhile.

I feel a blog coming on!

'I feel a blog coming on!'

Looking forward to reading that blog Stu. :)

I paid a very quick visit to Newark last year whilst on my way to Mablethorpe - using my bus pass.

Passing through the place on a super bus I'd caught on Friar Lane, I thought it full of interesting streets and spotted quite a few blue plaques on the buildings. I'll try and pay a visit soon - courtesy of my bus pass.

I was lucky enough to work in and around Newark for 20 years,and can confirm what the others have said,it is a lovely town.We still visit Newark at least once a week,and on a summers evening there is nowhere nicer.

Tonight was a visit to Pizza Expresss overlooking the Castle Barge (half price),followed by a pint of Ruddles in Wetherspoons for £1.79,although the recently reburbished Prince Rupert on Stodman Street is well worth a visit,as is the King Charles1 coffee house on Kirk gate,if you visit during the day.As the name suggests,its around 400 years old,and going upstairs is most rewarding,although the stairs are narrow and steep.

The ruins of the castle are still quite impressive.

Took pic's as the sun was setting,turned out pretty good.

Will sort out all our photo's,in the very near future.

For a while I worked in the public relations office of British Rail Engineering in Derby. I had a colleague who was absolutely besotted with Newark. Part of his job took him around all of the railway works in the country (about a dozen at that time). Obviously, he had a railway duty pass for virtually the whole country, and he always contrived to come back via Newark, just to have a pleasant stroll through the town. It was a fairly logical route from Doncaster, Shildon or York, but I always thought Swindon to Derby via Newark was pushing it a bit!

I was lucky enough to work in and around Newark for 20 years,and can confirm what the others have said,it is a lovely town.We still visit Newark at least once a week,and on a summers evening there is nowhere nicer.

Tonight was a visit to Pizza Expresss overlooking the Castle Barge (half price),followed by a pint of Ruddles in Wetherspoons for £1.79,although the recently reburbished Prince Rupert on Stodman Street is well worth a visit,as is the King Charles1 coffee house on Kirk gate,if you visit during the day.As the name suggests,its around 400 years old,and going upstairs is most rewarding,although the stairs are narrow and steep.

Totally agree with what you say - love Newark! There are so many interesting places to seek out in the town. It is so underrated. Like the fact that the old 'Manx' pub, Kelly's Tavern by the river has opened back up again!

There is something else of interest in that picture,but for a very different reason. To the left,by the yellow van were the workshop premises of the infamous Michael Sams. I was nearby when Police moved in to arrest him,and their presence in number was quite overwhelming.

Coincidentally,shortly afterwards i was called to Sam's house at Sutton on Trent-Police had severed the water pipe,whilst digging up the garden,searching for evidence.

That's very interesting Trevor. I knew Sams' premises were up one of those lanes behind there but was never sure where.

Love the King Charles 1 coffee house. Also like a visit to the cafe that looks over the square from above on the side where W H Smith is, don't remember the name. Gannet's too is a lovely cafe.

How about the Newark Antiques Centre for an interesting visit too.

The deli in the square (owners have a butchers in the opposite corner) has fantastic sausages! Stilton, oak-smoked and so on - I never leave without a few!

Couple more Newark-related 'wot I wrote' in the words of the immortal Ernie Wise. Posted here before:

The Ten Bridges of Newark-on-Trent

Down by the Riverside-Nottingham to Newark by Bicycle

The Cafe you refer to is,i suspect Greggs. It was once the governor's house. Again,timber construction and around 400 years old. Upstairs is a must if you are able,to take in the construction,and views across the market place.

Excellent blogs,they were the first two i read when i found your site.

Apologies, I referred to you by another member's name - sorry (half awake!)

Cheers Tricky, yes that sounds the one. I can recommend the scones made on the premises but maybe you would know already. :)

There really is history everywhere you look in Newark. I particularly like the old water pump in the square and also the fantastic White Hart building (below, for the uninitiated). Love the little arcade at that corner too.

white-hart-2002.jpg

• Like 1

Was it the governors house that was attacked with a grenade during the civil war,think there's a plaque on the wall to that effect

Rog

• 9 months later...
  • 5 years later...
  • 3 years later...

Beneath this plaque lies the remains of some of Queen Henrietta's army officers who were killed in action during  the defence of Newark 1643-1646, the plaque is in the small garden at the side of the church

Newark-06-02-21.jpg

Rog

Has anyone heard of the "alleged" canon ball/musket ball hole in the church spire of Saint Mary Magdelene church that was "allegedly" fired during the English civil war? To me it looks like a drilled hole possibly for drainage but it's a good story for visitors

Rog

Looking at the "musket ball/canon ball" hole in the tower of the church from ground level it would be easy to see why the story came about but if you look through binoculars or telephoto camera lens it is clearly not either shot because there is no splintering around the hole thats why I think it's been drilled for drainage or similar

P1090147.jpg

Rog