National Civil War Museum, Newark

I’m no expert but high velocity impacts don’t necessarily behave in a logical manner. Entry holes of projectiles can be ‘clean’. The splintering occurs on the inside. It would be interesting to see the other side. 

• Like 1

If you follow the line of bricks/tiles to the right side there is a hole similar but looks like it was a deliberate drain brick/tile

Rog

15 hours ago, letsavagoo said:

If you Google cannon ball hole in Newark church, I think the photo posted is not the alleged cannon ball damage which is on another side higher on the spire.

Just had a look on google and the hole  seems to have been made by something that was the same height/in line as the spire and not angled upwards if you see what I mean,could the canonball or musket ball been fired from on top of another building? I will have a good look on Saturday when I'm in Newark and take some pictures if I remember my camera

Rog

On 11/8/2022 at 9:25 PM, letsavagoo said:

If you Google cannon ball hole in Newark church, I think the photo posted is not the alleged cannon ball damage which is on another side higher on the spire.

Just had a look on google and the hole  seems to have been made by something that was the same height/in line as the spire and not angled upwards if you see what I mean,could the canonball or musket ball been fired from on top of another building? I will have a good look on Saturday when I'm in Newark and take some pictures if I remember my camera

Rog

Back from Newark now and after spending a bit of time with binoculars staring up at the church tower (and a lot of people doing the same trying to find out what I was looking at) I found there are many holes in the tower but mainly some sort of drainage hole however there was a couple that could possibly be musket ball holes or damage and they are on the south side of the steeple midway up to the left and slightly below the drain hole, they look to be more damage than actual holes

DSCF1639.jpg

Rog

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

The traffic cone's been removed from his head!

I took the opportunity to take this photo Phil, a rare sight to see them without the traffic cones

Rog