Arnold, Basford, Ilkeston and many other towns had wakes just after Goose Fair. I'll always remember the adventure of going to the wakes when very small and equally when a teenager - albeit with a different agenda.

I reckon my favourite ride was the 'whip' followed by the 'caterpillar.' I loved the smell of the fair; the plates of mushy peas, cockles and hot dogs; the candy floss and the "Cock on a Stick" that seems to exist nowhere else except Nottingham. Walking around in the dense crowds, having a go at the airgun scams and the coconut shy; listening to the banter of the fairground touts drumming up trade for the boxing booths or ghost train. Ahh, sigh, memories.......Call me a sentimental old fool, see if I care - I am.

• Upvote 1

Well done Compo, almost another 'Tome', I much admire you're Wordsmithery..............................

:) The thing I recall about the Wakes was that the rides were always cheaper than those of Goose Fair. We kids, back then, knew that our pocket money would last much longer at the Wakes.

Not so these days, one's expected to pay the full price at small Wakes that occasionally set up near to home.

I too recall wakes were always cheaper, perhaps the local councils capped the prices??

arr the catapiller now that evokes some memories and i say no more so dont ask

I was about 7yrs old when I heard a man on a stall at Arnold wakes selling "Foogers". Clearly, I misheard what he was saying but off I trotted to my grandmother's house just down High Street and began doing what all kids do at some time or other...."Mam, Grandma, I want a Fooger"; "You want a what?" "A Fooger, they're selling them at the wakes mam, can I have one eh? Please mam." So off we went, Mam, Grandma and self and asked at every stall for a Fooger. Not one stall holder had any idea what a Fooger was. To my mother's dying day she would ask "Have you found your Fooger yet."

There was one wakes or Mini fair just on the lenton lane side of Clifton bridge mid to late sixties, dont remember one ever being there before that or after, don't remember any bother either even though it was well attended by both mods and rockers. Anyone else remember it?.

:biggrin: Such a delightful, little story Compo - you're getting real good at this creative writing lark, keep at it. :biggrin:

sorry but it only happens when I've had too much to drink ~°Hic

Can't fault your honesty, inspiration in a bottle..........................but how come the muse is always at the bottom of the glass? lol

If I knew the answer to that I would not bother with the booze <g>