• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

From elsewhere: I was walking down The Mall with a friend at the weekend when he turned to me and said, "Seeing all those flags on display makes me so proud of my country." "But Chan, you're Chines

Nice to see Her Majesty cruise majestically down the Thames while the rest of us drift aimlessly up Sh1t Creek

A time when the future was ours & we came first, nowadays this would be condemned as a far right nationalist march    

Poor deluded fools,

degrade

90%of the population,

free travel,when you retire,

People paid taxes to cover their retirement and national health benefits,after working 50 years, a bus pass, that is so generous.

I worked hard for 20 years to establish a business,34% was taken in various taxes,workers comp'and national insurance contributions,public liability insurance,and VAT. Out of the 66% left, I had to pay wages to 4 employees and myself,and the trade stores where I purchased materials every month.

No one waved a flag to see me leave,rather the opposite. Give my regards to 'Liz',and ask her where my tax refund is?her government haven't sent it yet and it's been 20 years.

On the other hand, I suppose the good old US of A has been good to you? Good luck with that..............................

Thank you Paulus,I came here and started from scratch,I didn't know anyone.

I worked hard and long, to establish my business,now I have time to relax, and enjoy the benefits.

• Upvote 1

My quote of 90% was from a 'Mori' poll released a week last Wednesday (I was quite surprised at the results to be honest!!) It was taken over a two month period around January, and was taken of legal UK citizens only.

It was done in 15 major city centres ( Including London, Manchester, Birmingham, Cardiff, Swansea, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen, Newcastle and Leeds amongst others that I can't recall just now) and over 3000 people were interviewed.

The Questions were varied on all sorts of topics (Olympics are they good for the nation? did we agree with the Governments policies regarding taxation on fuel, etc and the question of "Do you think the monarchy are good for the nation as a whole?" was buried somewhere in the middle.

The listing was subdivided into loads of different (Rough) ethnic groups, something along the lines of :-

White (Born here)

White (not born here) ie Australian, American etc

Asian (Born under the monarchy)

Asian ( not born under the monarchy)

Black (again 'born under the monarchy')

Black (not born under the monarchy

European

And a couple of others. It was the figure of 90% of the folks who are white and born here, that I'm quoting. Seeing as how I , and most of the other users of this forum fall into that catagory , that is the answer I quoted !

I'm not for one second stating that 90% of the total poulation agree with the monarchy , far from it , I think it was something like 20% where the Asians were concerened, (Don't quote me on that figure I can't remember off of the top of my head.

So you see I don't think it was being delusional at all.

Oh and by the way (PSSST) you're not the only one that pays / paid taxes you know, we all do and so why should you have got a rebate when you fled the shores of this septic ( sic ) isle

I've been paying taxes some 46 years now & will continue to do so for a few more years, PAYE all my working life, not in business for myself, so no chance of employing an accountant who could 'sort' my tax........................got a good salry so pay 40% on fair amount of what I earn, & I'm not complaining...............................

As the man said 2 things are certain, Taxes & Death....................or go live in US of A

I didn't ask for the rebate Beefy,I got a letter saying I had an adjustment, as I paid to much for the years 1986-89.

Did you know that all of us who fled the country, are able to claim pensions from the UK. unionflag

I'm aware that you 'Deserters' still able to claim 'Akms', however you could also be conscripted in time of crisis ie another Boston Tea Party, as you're within marching distance

Talking of tax rebates and the self employed, I worked for myself (As a 'special agent' for the RAC) back in the early 90's and paid my tax via an accountant I employed . I paid up over 5Gs in tax for the year and was told I'd get a rebate after he'd put in the Ex's.

IMMSC he went appex over torso not long after I'd paid him, I tried many times to get it back from the tax office (As he had actually paid it, hense the reason I didn't get any further demands from them) but they couldn't find the relative paperwork.!! I gave up after a couple of years.

A few years later, when I returned from working 8 months in Ibiza, I worked for another company as a courier over the winter before returning to work Ibiza the following spring. As I hadn't 'cracked' the tax free allowance I shouldn't have paid tax , but they insisted on stopping it each month. (Writing all the stoppages on the back of the envelope that my pay cheque came in) I went to my tax office (Crewe) to get the tax back , and was told they'd not recieved it. I blew my top at them complaining about the earlier tax rebate I was still owed!!

It turned out the b45t4rd5 had been stopping the tax's from all the workers and hadn't paid it in !!

It took a while (I wasn't holding my breath again) but I eventually got it back , after the company (Tradsfields) had been fined thousands and thousands of pounds and a couple of jail sentences for tax evation and fraud, had been handed out.

But the best result by far was that somebody looked into my earlier claim for a rebate from my selfemployed days, found the 'mistake' and offered me another lump sum plus interest. IMMSC I recieved a total of about 3 grand !!

It came in very handy as I was getting married the following summer !! ...............Oh hang on..............bu99er............

Just watching our modern navy parade on the thames, Why are the bubble and charlie wearing military uniforms? surely too old to serve now? and another thing (off topic) Why do some ex military get addressed by their former rank? signed Lance Corporal Durose

Because Prince Philip is still Admiral of the Fleet, Prince Charles is An Admiral of the British Navy, a General in the British Army and Air Chief Marshall of the RAF.

As commisioned officers they are allowed to keep and use those ranks and the pomp that comes with them for life. Only if a commision is resigned (I think) or removed (Definately) do they no longer have the right to use them

My main bitch is the pomp and privilege that goes with all the hangers-on. EG. "The Lord Lieutenant of the county will welcome the Queen and entourage at the local manor, etc.. " What's wrong with the mayor and representatives of local people greeting her? She's too posh, that's what. Plebs like us don't count - don't think for a single minute that the "Upper Crust" even give us the time of day in their thoughts - I know, I used to dine with many of them when living abroad. Lords this and that really p1ss me off.

My main bitch is the pomp and privilege that goes with all the hangers-on. EG. "The Lord Lieutenant of the county will welcome the Queen and entourage

That's always annoyed me....Who are these bemedalled pillocks?...and how many are we paying for?

10ab691e.jpg

:) I Love the Queen

In my youth, I questioned the role of the Monarchy within our society.

Now, I am of the firm opinion that if we didn't have the Queen - to balance things -then some upstart would want to control; remember Margaret Thatcher?

Judging by the way the weather had an impact on things, I think it's safe to assume God is a republican.

Quite the opposite , God sent the rain to test us , and the crowds still turned out in thier droves to show their love and support, over a million people from reports on the BBC yesterday.

My honest opinion , to all of you closet Cromwells ??

If you don't like the system, and the way this country works, instead of anonymously hiding behind your keyboards like typical whinging Poms , do something about it or eff off. !!!!

• Upvote 1

Beefsteak, sounds like all the doubters & moaners watched at least some of the celebrations, I'm sure that's a comfort to all The Royal Family.................... :biggrin:

Now, I am of the firm opinion that if we didn't have the Queen - to balance things -then some upstart would want to control; remember Margaret Thatcher?

Totally agree on that one. Look at who survived with most marbles intact and came out winner of that battle.

There's nowt wrong wi' a Monarchy per se - it's the thousands of "High Class" hangers-on; parasites of the tax-paying people who drain our coffers and then take all the privileges for themselves. One doesn't need to be a republican to dislike parasites. ASk yourself: How many 'ordinary' people have been invited to the Queen's celebratory banquet? I assume there will be one? It will be Lord this and Lady that, not Joe Bloggs and his kids. I don't like the system as it stands but neither do I want a Mugabe-alike ruling. I just want to see fairer play for all, NOT just the so called "Top brass".