180 years between them and still going strong

I was in Sainsbury's, Castle Boulevard, this morning when they announced that one of their regular customers was celebrating her 100th birthday. But get this: Lilo, who checked out the birthday girl's groceries, is 80 years old herself. When was the last time that a checkout operator and customer had a combined age of 180 years? unionflag

• Upvote 1

Good for them! Great to hear of folks still active at a great age. I bowl in a ladies league, there are only 27 of us, 1 is age 97, 1 is 93 and another is 88. Makes me feel quite young.

As a kid our next door neighbor died at aged 97,born two days after the battle of Gettysburg, July 5th 1863.

His dad served with the 17th/21st lancers in the Crimean war,born April 1827,recruited outside 'The Bell' public house.the market place Nottingham

I was 11 years old when when he died,talking to him about his dad and his Grandfather who was born in 1796,and fought Napoleons' army,as a soldier in the 'Nottingham Regiment/ 45th foot',seems almost impossible but true.

If only I had a tape recorder back then.!!!!!

Seems very hard to believe Mudgie, but it's just possible, that his grandfathers own great grandfather could have fought the Amada under QE1 !

My Mother told me of her Grandfather telling her that his father spoke often of fighting at Waterloo.It doesn't take long to go back 200 years by word of mouth in living memory.

There is or was. a memorial to the 'fallen' soldiers of Beeston, who died in the Crimean war.As a kid I passed it every day on my way to school, taking a short cut through the Parish churchyard.

I never read what was on the memorial untill I was 16 or so,most of them died from chronic diarrhea.

Saw an item in our local paper this week about an old lady that just turned 100. Asked what contributed to her long life she replied, "keep away from doctors." interesting!

my hair dresser is on park rd lenton very near castle mariner and last year i was in and one of her elderly customers was 99 years old and we had a class of champaigh and a piece of cake and a chocolate to celebrate i wonder if it could be the same lady her and her younger sister who was 96 last year are regular clientsof my hairdresser and go for a shamppoo and set every two weeks, they have a combined age of195 last year so if both still alive 197 this year , i dont visit my hairdresser so often since i started to grow my hair but i will try and ask her if they both still go to see her they are very much alike in appearance both are ver talll and slender.

what i was thinking when i wrote previous post was if it was the same lady who had just celebrated her 100th i know she lives in that area and it might be were she dose her shopping but my mind keeps wondering at the moment

Re: Bamber's link; I read the story and thought what a beautiful piece of news: Lady going shopping at the age of 100 - how wonderful! :biggrin:

I'd like to add:

:biggrin: 'For she's a jolly good fellow,

for she's a jolly good fellow

for she's a jolly good fellow

and so say all of us'. :biggrin:

this is not the lady i was thinking of but well done her

Guest Pixie.

I love hearing these stories, i do hope i grow to be 100! But i go with the 'keep away from doctors' thing, I never take medicen unless i really have to, i dont think filling your body with all them chemicals can do much good. Another thing i was told, allways think and stay possitive, laugh as much as possible & youll never get back all that time you spent worrying, being sad or crying over things that werent worth it in the end. Brilliant advice! :)