Here we go again, 22 trams for the city are to be made in barcelona not Britain, city council says no one makes trams in the uk now, and that includes bombardier.But bombardier had bid for the contract.In march 2011 they was told that it been unsuccessful. Just look at the vehicles the council buys lots are imported, they don't care.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I reckon you're next Fynger when they reinstall the route to Ripley! Then theres the GCR tunnels from weekday cross to gregory blvd and from there they can shut down all the shops in Sherwood maybe e

Trams would be ok if they had their own tracks, away from the public highway, so that if they broke down, as they do regularly, the traffic flow would be unaffected.. They could be called trains - or

My kids are grown up, so why should I pay anything towards education. Yes, it's a silly argument. If we all chose to pay for only the things we need or require, the country would be in utter turmoil.

We ought to have another 'Buy British' campaign like Harold Wilson promoted many years ago....but of course that would be blocked now by our European 'friends'

I wonder how many forums in other countries have posters complaining that their multi million pound contracts have been given to Britain instead of their own people...not ruddy many I'll bet.The French in particular are damned good at keeping their own manufacturers to the front of the queue.

The trouble is we got rid of proper industry a few years ago - mainly because That Woman thought service "industries" were the way to go - a manifesto for overpaid spivs. And that, quite frankly, is why there are no proper, useful, productive jobs for youngsters leaving school to do. They are all expected to go and get degrees in obscure and meaningless non-subjects instead - knowing that it will achieve nothing for them except a big student loan debt. The whole country is rapidly turning into a gigantic theme park with nothing real and meaningful happening here any more. OK, OK - enough!

• Upvote 1

"THAT WOMAN" and her "Ilk" shut down half our railways & most of our steel industry but the biggest crime commited was the murder of our coal industry.

With these closures went thousands of other jobs(mine included :( )

I say "our" in the context of these concerns belonged to the nation us the tax payer.

While some parts were loss making the other places that supplied these concerns made a healthy profit (eg Brush,Doughty,Dosco,)some of these places are now closed or are a shadow of earlier times.

Yawn. Funny how everything that went wrong with this country happened since 1979. Some people have very selective memories; you're all happy to forget that Labour closed more pits than the Tories ever did. The coal industry wasn't murdered, it committed suicide.

Ask yourselves how many coal mines Mr. Blair re-opened after 1997.

The major closures of the railways happened in the early 60s .

Most were the result of The Beeching Report, but a few earlier, the first things to go were passenger services with local stations being shut, Lenton 1911, St Ann's, Sherwood and Thorneywood 1916, Bulwell Forest 1929, Bulwell Hall 1929 GNR London Rd 1944 and The Race Course 1959

Spot on Scriv, as I've said in the past Labour closed more pits than anyone, as for the railways the old addage comes to mind "Use it or Lose it", shame to see the old stations and lines close but if not many folks using them whats the point in them being there?

Rog

Also, a lot of the early railways were built not just for the passengers but for the benefit of the investors and developers who wanted to see a healthy return on their money. They thought that owning a line going to a town would be an automatic cash-generating machine, even if another company had already got there first.

Best example locally is Hucknall. By 1910 it had 3 stations. That's dumb. No way can a place the size of Hucknall support 3 stations, so something had to close down, and fairly quickly.

• Upvote 1

Yes, quite so. My main grouse against That Woman is that, having decided she was going to tame the unions (which in itself was no bad thing - they were certainly committing suicide), she thought the way to do it was to abandon their industries, and put all our eggs in one basket - financial services. And that is a nice little closed shop (remember them?) for the overpaid spiv fraternity. Too big to fail, so WE pay to put them on life support (and substantial bonuses). Tax revenue intended to provide services and support for the needy are diverted to subsidise a non-industry that bankrupted itself through its own greed and recklessness. Not so different from what Arthur Scargill did with the coal industry, but a very different outcome. (Well, that should get a few people spitting rivets!)

Thatchers political career ended ,due to her 'dictatorial' manner with her cabinet.

She was caught doing some dirty deals.

Remember how many times she would have a 'reshuffle'.

Any disagreement, and it was,'Off with his balls'. But some did say "Good old Maggie yer doin' a great job".

The Leen valley was certainly over supplied with railway stations Hucknall,Bulwell & Basford all having at least 3 stations.

But you could use a differant station depending which part of the city you wanted to be in or where you were going on to when you got to Nottingham.

Plus after 1901 the trams ran a frequent service into the city.

"Plus after 1901 the trams ran a frequent service into the city. "

till they got rid of them, mark my words, in a few years some half wit on the council will suggest trolley buses and they'll be ripping up the tram lines!

• Upvote 1

The Leen valley was certainly over supplied with railway stations Hucknall,Bulwell & Basford all having at least 3 stations.

But you could use a differant station depending which part of the city you wanted to be in or where you were going on to when you got to Nottingham.

Plus after 1901 the trams ran a frequent service into the city.

The railways were built for the coal traffic not passengers. Thats where they got their money!

To some extent true, but if that was all, why 4 passenger stations in Hucknall? esp the GCR one? that was opened 51 years after the first, even the GNR's was 34 years after, there must have been a demand? otherwise why bother? and the NSR was never built for coal

Remember when the railways were built the only alternative form of travel was horse drawn or walk. The railways were the only way to get any distance. The building of the railways produced the demand just as new roads do nowdays.

Yes true, the first ones were built for coal etc and I read somewhere it was a surprise for owners that people wanted to travel on them? think I also read somewhere that some medical opinion at the time was that they all would die if they exceeded 30 mph in open carriages because of air pressure? my posting was meant to show that later, but as early in Notts as 1840's new routes included stations for passengers in the plans

Can you guess the name what they are going to call the new tram bridge going over the railway station?. is it Robin hood,Maid Marian,Little John, The sheriff off Nottingham, Torvill and Dean, Well did you guess the name. see next topic