I have to say (and this is nothing to do with the tram!) that I do like the idea that has become popular in recent years of naming roundabouts. It's a lot easier to give (and receive) directions when you have a definite name to go on. I don't know whether they have done it in Milton Keynes yet - the city of a thousand roundabouts - but they jolly well should!

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I reckon you're next Fynger when they reinstall the route to Ripley! Then theres the GCR tunnels from weekday cross to gregory blvd and from there they can shut down all the shops in Sherwood maybe e

Trams would be ok if they had their own tracks, away from the public highway, so that if they broke down, as they do regularly, the traffic flow would be unaffected.. They could be called trains - or

My kids are grown up, so why should I pay anything towards education. Yes, it's a silly argument. If we all chose to pay for only the things we need or require, the country would be in utter turmoil.

re roundabouts, there was one on Western Blvd named "Kamakazi Island" lol, now long gone

As regards The Tram benjamin1945 am I right in thinking you live on or within walking distance of the route? And also I think all the points you made existed on public transport esp on public roads already?

WHICH island was the 'kamikazi one Ashley?.............yes i am within walking distance of the Tram and the other public transport still takes longer than theTram with the traffic etc. and is not so regular.

WHICH island was the 'kamikazi one Ashley?.............yes i am within walking distance of the Tram and the other public transport still takes longer than theTram with the traffic etc. and is not so regular.

That was where the ring road and Nuthall Rd cross, where the overhead traffic lights are instead now. It was full of trees so you had no chance of seeing if anything was coming before you set off onto the roundabout.

re the island full of tree's, when a young teenager (unbeknown to me at the time) my son and his mates used to camp out in that island! proper tent job with stack of beer from a certain shop plus curries from tung fong and kebabs from shop next door! lol

• Upvote 1

I would love to use public transport. Anyone know the number of the bus that will get me from Nottingham to Ashbourne for 6AM?

My days of sleeping rough are well and truly over. Another one, I sometimes work late at Greencore in Worksop. I finish at 1AM. No buses home then.

The problem with Kamikaze island wasn't so much trees, it was the fact that the island/roundabout itself was very small diameter with a very wide road area all around it. This meant that it didn't look like a roundabout, and if you were going north-south or east-west you could drive across in a straight line without following the normal curves of a traditional roundabout. So people just went blasting straight across without looking for traffic coming from the left or right.

It also had 10 if not more? lanes of traffic, used to live near it, regular crashes! ditto at the bridge over the railway on Western Blvd near St leo's church, cars used to come to that heading east doing 60/70 mph and hit standing traffic tailing back from Radford Rd traffic lights.

Remind me folks this kamikazi island was that at the junction of western blvd and nuthall road,if my memory serves me right in the late 40s and 50s the co-op was nearby and some other shops a greengrocer and sweet shop and over the way on the corner of newlyn drive and western blvd was Dr Kerrs surgery.My Dad if he was coming from town down nuthall road he would drive up western blvd on the wrong side to gain access to newlyn drive because of the dual carriage way,silly old bugger lost his licence some years later for DUI for 10 years not the first time either he was well known by the local constabulary re his driving antics not that we were proud of his notoriety more embarrased and shamed.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems the Tram has now made it PAY BEFORE YOU GET ON...if you are caught on the tram without a ticket you are asked to get off and given a £50 fine........all tramstops have been fitted with ticket machines and you need to know this......those with passes have to swipe them at the machine also.

Can see the logic of this to some extent as on the rare occasion I've been on a tram there's been blantant none payment by loads as it seems by the time the "clippie" has got from one end of the thing to the other half the riders have got off before being asked to pay. That said on the 2 occasions I've been on a bus from RoT to Nottm in last year hardly anyone paid anyway, all waving this pass or that pass at the driver! Well remember the days (for years without a rise) as a schoolkid paying my 1d when the weather was bad getting a 36/37/41 trolley bus up Nottingham Rd no passes in those days!

This is just another aspect of this loony labour council's policy of squeezing every penny out of the council tax payer. First we had enforcement cameras where we did'nt need them, gestapo type parking wardens in the city & suburbs. Bus lane enforcement cameras etc etc.

When the tram first arrived the public were assured that the conductor would be there to help little old ladies & give change to passengers, it looks like that was only a gimmick.

A penalty charge of £50 is disgraceful, I recently saw a couple of passengers miss a tram due to trying to obtain a ticket from the machine, which did'nt work. !

The tram does not wait for anyone.

Had the misfortune to drive from town to Toton today. What a shambles. University Blvd looks like Hiroshima on a bad day. Was or really necessary to cut down dozens of trees? What was once an attractive entrance to the city is now a eyesore and will be for the foreseeable future. The only person I've found who wants it is the owner of Bardills Garden Centre. The island there is already busy, God knows what it will be like when it is finally completed.

University Blvd looks like Hiroshima on a bad day. Was or really necessary to cut down dozens of trees? What was once an attractive entrance to the city is now a eyesore and will be for the foreseeable future.

Same thing happened on Meadows Way, the road which goes round the Meadows parallel to Queen's Drive. Massive number of mature trees were cut down and replaced with concrete and tarmac.

Just when the Meadows was finally being hidden, you can see it again.

• Upvote 1

Regarding University Boulevard sacrilege that council has cut down those beautiful trees I so remember riding my bike along there you thought you were n the countryside.