In today's report on East Midlands News about a possible future extension of the tram to Kimberley, it states that use could be made of an old trackbed and viaduct which are still in situ.

Does anyone know which these are?

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I reckon you're next Fynger when they reinstall the route to Ripley! Then theres the GCR tunnels from weekday cross to gregory blvd and from there they can shut down all the shops in Sherwood maybe e

Trams would be ok if they had their own tracks, away from the public highway, so that if they broke down, as they do regularly, the traffic flow would be unaffected.. They could be called trains - or

My kids are grown up, so why should I pay anything towards education. Yes, it's a silly argument. If we all chose to pay for only the things we need or require, the country would be in utter turmoil.

Re the fifty pound fine for not swiping card or buying ticket on platform. Given that the fine is supposed to be for avoidance of fare, how come elderly people with bus passes get the fine for forgetting to swipe their bus pass. They don't pay after 9:30am anyway so how can they be avoiding payment? This alone tells me it is nothing to do with revenue protection and everything to do with making enough money to protect the over-high salaries of the dictators ...oops sorry...Council Leaders.

• Upvote 2
  • 2 months later...

Travelling into Nottingham by train today, I noticed that the wires are now up on the new bridge over Lenton South Junction and in one or two other places although the line appears to be at ground level as it passes the Speedo offices and I still can't quite work out how it crosses Queens Drive.

On arrival at Nottingham Station I noticed that the steps from the middle footbridge to the tram stop are open again so I went up to have a look. I saw that new tram platforms have been installed on the tram bridge directly above the station platforms so I presume that the Station Street tram stop will be taken out when the extension opens?

On another note, when I continued on my way to Lincoln, I noticed that some of the old bridge abutments where the GN lines crossed the Midland have been brought back into use. There is now a new bridge deck across so does anyone know what the purpose is? Has a new footpath or nature trail been created?

Both Meadow Lane & Trent lane have been closed to all traffic & new foot bridges have been built for pedestrians & cyclists.

The was done last year at the same time as the work on Nottingham station was done last year.

Sneinton Junction signal box went at the same time.

Saw something the other day on the back of a NCT bus going to Bulwell that summed up what is wrong with trams and why they were scrapped in the 1930's. It read "GET ON A BUS AND GO ANYWHERE" said bus had plenty of passengers on unlike the tram I saw at basford crossings which had 7 on it

• Upvote 1
  • 2 years later...

Edinburgh tram

P1050843.jpg

You can buy your ticket on any Lothian bus or from the machines near the tram stops because they are the same company unlike the Nottingham tram who are in direct competion with the bus company's

Rog

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

Must admit i am a great Fan of the Tram...........but had a funny incident on one last night.......thought i'd re-tell it just for Catfan...........after my long day in London was looking forward to getting home.........nice train journey......then onto the Tram,......which broke down one stop before Wilkinson street.........we all had to get off and wait for the next one,........two blokes of about my age had a right go at the driver 'F' ing and blinding,....poor chap not his fault,....i was a bit 'Miffed' at first.......then thought 'Wow' chance for a Fag......not had one for about 3 hours..........next tram arrived before i'd finished it,.........lol,....so hats off to the Tram........delay about 6 minutes.......the two moaners then had a go at the driver on this tram.........moaning old Gits..........

If you can go three hours without a smoke then you can go six,then twelve and on and on Ben

Rog

Glad you enjoyed your day though

• Like 2
57 minutes ago, plantfit said:

If you can go three hours without a smoke then you can go six,then twelve and on and on Ben

Rog

Glad you enjoyed your day though

thanks Rog.............but don't want to...............lol

• Like 2

£4 Catfan........Think thats good,......delay was less than 10 minutes.........and the entertainment from the 'old gits' was great........lol.

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

thanks Rog.............but don't want to...............lol

Thats fair enough mate, no problem if you enjoy sommat why not

Rog

Ben, I think Catfan was probable referring to the total cost of the slug not the fare:rolleyes:

As to smoking you are exactly like my wife, she can go for hours without one but flatly refuses to give up totally.

I had a friend who died 18 months ago, his smoking habit consisted of when he went for a pint with me in the summer he would take a nice expensive cigar with him and spend the lunch time sat in the sun supping and puffing away, nevr smoked at any other time. he was still doing it to the day he died at the age of 83 and it were nowt to do we smoking either.

• Like 2

I thought he was NBL...........But not knowing such facts......thought i'd tell him £4..............and fair play to your wife...........i'm similar.......nowt like a nice smoke.....especially after a long journey..........and with my morning Espresso'............:rolleyes:

• Like 2

I have to agree with you Ben nowt like a fag and a coffee, I know it sounds daft but the more I  am told not to smoke the more I ignore them, I find if I am going somewhere and I will not be able to smoke I have to have one before I go and end up smoking even more. I have always tried to rebel ,  mind you the only way I can do that now is by wearing odd socks.

• Like 2

LOL     St Pancras the other day...........straight onto Euston rd........with 3 ladies i travelled with......we all lit up..............smiles all round on the first drag........:rolleyes:

• Like 1

I read that tram delays are running into a second day because of an overhead line fault. It doesn’t  bother me - we don’t even have a bus, but tram users must be tearing their hair out once more. Oh when will they ever learn? (The City Council that is)

• Like 1

There are a lot more options open the councils these days with regard to eco transport, Gas fuelled buses,self contained electric buses, and if they must use overhead wires why not a modern version of the trolley bus,at least if they break down or the overhead wires fail they could be driven off the road to allow other traffic to continue,they could even be towed away for repair in a bus shed not left in the road waiting for fitters to come out to them

Rog

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

The Nottingham tram hasn't made a profit yet since it's inception, only making a loss.

Why do you think the council use heavy handed tactics on the motorist & tram passengers ?

PF you're reading my mind! I've said exactly the same thing since the damn trams were first mooted. Another upside to modern trolley busses is they cost less than half and don't cause chaos for years whilst they rip up roads to install rails.

• Like 1