A bit of old Lenton disappears

A few days ago I noticed that a part of old Lenton seems about to disappear.

The row of cottages and shop at the junction of Gregory Street/Abbey Bridge (opposite the White Hart) are boarded up apparently for demolition.

The shop is noteworthy because, according to at least one source "it was opened in May 1863 as the first branch of the Lenton Industrial & Co-operative Society, eventually to become the Nottingham Co-op". In other words, that shop is where Nottingham Co-op started.

So this may be the last time you see these scenes -

lenton1.jpg

The first Nottm Co-op is the building on the corner on the left

lenton2.jpg

lenton5.jpg

Round the corner on Abbey Road, these two houses are for the chop as well

lenton6.jpg

And I don't know if the two shops were just closed, or also condemned

gregory.jpg

And this is what it looked like when it was still Co-op No 1 (The White Hart on the left)

• Like 1
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

was at whiteheart yesterday a one day bike show the carpark is still a right mess almost 2 years since signs put up to say work starting june 2012 for 1 year and as things are progressing at the momem

Coop Store number 1 was located further along Abbey Street to where the QMC is today.

If you walk along from the shop you mention, there was a scaffolding firm on the right.

Then the Nottingham Coop Building and Engineering Department, and after their drive was the first Nottingham Coop Branch.

Both Coop Premises were demolished many years ago.

Coop Store number 1 was located further along Abbey Street to where the QMC is today.

If you walk along from the shop you mention, there was a scaffolding firm on the right.

Then the Nottingham Coop Building and Engineering Department, and after their drive was the first Nottingham Coop Branch.

I remember those buildings, so I think the information I got from the book might've been a bit confusing as to what was Nottingham Co-op and what was Lenton Co-op.

Although Lenton Times repeat the bit about Lenton and Nottingham Co-op http://www.lentontim.../gregory_st.htm

I worked at the Building Department 68-75 and remember No 1 branch being next door.

It may have been in the other shop first, I would be interested to know.

mick is right nottingham co op no 1 was on abby st opposit smith news agents and was stll there in the late eighties i shopped there when i lived on priory st lenton branch of the coop was on willoughby st and was no 2 nottingham .

the land where all the properties are to be are to be health laborities it will form the whole triangle of land from the canal up to gregory st with leen gate and abbey st forming two sides of this triangle the new buildings are surposed to be being built in triangular shapes ,all exsisiting buildings and busnesses are to be demolished and relocated although o think the tram may be taking up a small part of this land

ment to say demolissed along with the houses and barbers shop in the early nineties

Thank' for the pic's Cliff Ton, takes me back some.

Living in Beeston,I would pass this area daily.

I'm wondering if they could have put a preservation order on some of those old cottages and buildings.

So much is lost in the name of progress.

As far as I know the Red Cow is still alive and looks like this https://maps.google....=12,168.65,,0,0

I believe that was constructed in the 60s/70s, and before that there was an older version of the 'Red Cow'. I've only ever once been in the current building, around about the late 1980s, and then it was full of elderly locals. Apart from me and the people I was with, it seemed everyone in the place was at least 70.

Looks like it's still trading according to its website.

Used to go to the Red Cow Friday lunchtimes when I worked along Lenton Lane late eighties/early nineties at The Color Factory next to the TV studios. It was always pretty lively at that time of day on the last working day of the week.

Just realised I worked in two different print companies with a neighbouring Red Cow pub as I worked at Barnes & Humby Ltd next to the pub on Windmill Lane.

Used to go to the Red Cow Friday lunchtimes when I worked along Lenton Lane late eighties/early nineties at The Color Factory next to the TV studios.

Just realised I worked in two different print companies with a neighbouring Red Cow pub as I worked at Barnes & Humby Ltd next to the pub on Windmill Lane.

Now that's a weird coincidence.

I was - once only - in the Red Cow on Lenton Lane because I worked at Central TV for years (near the Colour Factory). I also know the Red Cow on Windmill Lane because I worked at a company called TecQuipment (now called TQ) who are on Hooten Street near Barnes & Humby.

That is quite a coincidence K.

I certainly remember those TK premises, although I think they (also) had a different name at one point when I worked there in. This was about 1975-1981. If you happened to be at TK at that time you might well remember a bunch of loonies playing football and cricket in Barnes & Humby's front car park every lunchtime like their lives depended on it. I was one of them. Fridays similarly were 'Red Cow days' where we'd pop round there for a pint or two and bit of Queen on the jukebox!

I worked on Lenton Lane at The Color Factory from around 1986-1992. The company had previously been situated to the rear of the studios over on Longwall Avenenue off Queens Drive.

As a kid we would visit an aunt that lived a few doors from the 'old Red Cow'.

They had a 'snug',where they let the kids in with a parent,and you had the universal,orange pop and crisps or ' Nibbits'

• 3 months later...

actually ray in one way it is due to the tram , the whitehart is to loose a little bit of its car park right on the corner od gregory st and abby st as pat of the tram works so a deal was agreed with the brewery that the garage would come down and be used as carparking instead so no parking spaces would be lost it will loose six and there will be room for about 10 when it is demolished an re jiged.

• 1 year later...

15 months on, here's a bit of an update at the location. Apologies for the fog; beyond my control.

It will soon be very easy to get to the White Hart by tram.

tram1-2.jpg

The line goes towards QMC; you can see the incline to the new bridge over the ring-road.

tram2-1.jpg

Standing with your back to the White Hart looking towards Dunkirk roundabout. This is the former site of the corner shop and Co-op building dept.

tram3-1.jpg

What's with all the concrete to lay the tracks on???? Even main line frieght trains don't have all that concrete...Is some ready mix dealer on the tram construction board of directors??

as clifton said 15 month on and its still a mess the original notices said 12 months and at the rate its going at the moment looks like it could take another year whitehart has lost 12-15 of its car parking and the old garage area has just been cleared in the last 2 weeks and still no idea when they will sort out the car parking and put a wall back up

the only good thing i can say is they have laftthe horse mounting blocks outside the front door of the white hart good job a presvation order was put on them years ago

still one cottage remaining looks quite nice now with its new wall and repainted whiye walls