A bit of old Lenton disappears

What's with all the concrete to lay the tracks on???? Even main line frieght trains don't have all that concrete...Is some ready mix dealer on the tram construction board of directors??

I don't know the answer but that seems to be the way they do the entire network. Put a concrete base down, stick the rails on it, and then build up the surrounding area to the same level. City centre or suburbs, it's all the same.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

was at whiteheart yesterday a one day bike show the carpark is still a right mess almost 2 years since signs put up to say work starting june 2012 for 1 year and as things are progressing at the momem

perhaps coz the rails in a lot of places are roads as well as tram rails and must be accessable to them too

Here's a piccie of Sacramento's light rail, trams to you lot...LOL Same thing, look at their tracks, same as normal rail system layout..

newlightrailvehicle.jpg

Here's another picture of the light rail.

Sacramento_Light_Rail.jpg

You think US roads are good.....LOL We play guess how deep the next pothole is....LOL Our overpasses and bridges in the freeway system are in a dangerous state, was only a few months back one actually collapsed.."They claim" there is no money to fix them, but the funds are there locked up in a fund...The fund cannot be used for anything except building and repairing roads, but instead the government won't release them, the fund is used as book entries to make the national debt look a little better..Each day, millions of fuel tax dollars keep swelling the fund.....

• 3 months later...

was at whiteheart yesterday a one day bike show the carpark is still a right mess almost 2 years since signs put up to say work starting june 2012 for 1 year and as things are progressing at the momement it looks like its going to be at least another year before its finished and will probly be 2016 before trams start to runall the money being spent on this tram line is an absolute farce the only people who want it are the universityandits students.

• Upvote 2

The tram system is the 'pet project' of Notts Labour council. It doesn't matter how much they spend on it, what the demand is likely to be, or what disruption it causes.

Nothing must be allowed to interfere with this wonderful icon !

That's why the fares are so high on everything else - buses (and the trams themselves), why the parking charges are so high, why there is an enormous work parking space levy, why the business rates and rents are unaffordable.

I think when it's finished it's going to be a huge white elephant.

Not that I have anything against trams - I actually really like them, but the key to 'rapid transit' is affordability.

That's the only thing that will make people leave their cars at home.

Maybe the council are pinning their hopes on enormous numbers of students using the trams. After all, our colleges and universities are all 'earners' now. They're not for us though - English people can't afford them. They are to attract students in from overseas to pay high annual fees.

• Upvote 1

Barclayon, I dont think many students will use the tram, as there are plenty of buses that go through the campus, as well as the hopper buses that connect the different campuses.

The tram is only going through the edge of the university, so not many will use it, and then walk up Portland hill to the main buildings.

This bit of stone work has been 'on display' in a backstreet of Old Lenton for as long as I can remember, and it claims to be a remnant of Lenton Priory.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.9429,-1.178637,3a,37.5y,351.81h,85.22t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1siqJHVgAmxg2qpFatRMEHkQ!2e0?hl=en

And if you want more information about Lenton Priory http://www.lentontimes.co.uk/images/gallery/priory_street/priory_st_listener_49.htm

the white house you can just see part of on priory st is were dave was born and we lived first 17 years of our marrage. the pillar is the only remaining pillar above ground level we have a copy of orriginal plans of the abbey we were was soposed to be on the land that was the nave

• 1 year later...

I remember going in the old 'Red Cow' before it was demolished for my grandparents wedding anniversary around the early 1960's. The new version lacks the charm of the old one.

Does anyone remember 'Balls' the butchers on Gregory Street the other side of Leengate on the opposite side to the White Hart. A row of houses are there now. It had one of those stable doors and I always remember the top half being open whenever we went. I can also remember the Co-Op on Abbey Street which was roughly opposite Nazareth House.

We went to a butchers in Radford not far from Radford Boulevard. Can't remember its name.

A Sunday sirloin roast was less that a quid in the 1960s!

I remember going in the old 'Red Cow' before it was demolished for my grandparents wedding anniversary around the early 1960's.

Does anyone remember 'Balls' the butchers on Gregory Street the other side of Leengate on the opposite side to the White Hart. .... I can also remember the Co-Op on Abbey Street which was roughly opposite Nazareth House.

Have you discovered this site ? http://www.lentontimes.co.uk/gallery.htm If you hadn't, you'll be interested in some of their photos.

• 6 months later...

Thought they did,i recall alot of the 'Lady Merchandisers' in 'Savemore Supermarket' Lenton..1960s.