A bit of old Lenton disappears

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

was at whiteheart yesterday a one day bike show the carpark is still a right mess almost 2 years since signs put up to say work starting june 2012 for 1 year and as things are progressing at the momem

• 1 month later...

Saw it or rather didn't a couple of weeks ago when I visited Nottingham to ride the full tram network,I also noticed the Red Cross center across the road from the cow is boarded up and ready for demolition,I soon won't recognise the city of my birth,

Rog

The red cross building was, used as a education establishment for kids that had behaviour issues, they had a small car workshop that was used for training kids about cars. The building was flooded a couple of years ago, something to do with the work on the tram, and has been closed since.

I did a first aid course there about 37 years ago with the scouts, and again about 20 years ago from work.

• 6 months later...

The red cross building was, used as a education establishment for kids that had behaviour issues, they had a small car workshop that was used for training kids about cars. The building was flooded a couple of years ago, something to do with the work on the tram, and has been closed since. I did a first aid course there about 37 years ago with the scouts, and again about 20 years ago from work.

It's now gone completely.

lenton_zps7ibkofp8.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My Great Grandparents had a Newsagents at 24 Park Road for many years, until about 1930 when they moved to a newly built house in Wollaton village.  Their 3 daughters, one of whom was my Granny, knew Albert Ball really well as he was the same age. My Grandad used to send letters to him in France.

The pedantic police say yes. 56 lb half hundredweight before this silly EU rubbish.

It wasn't pedantism, catfan, it was me checking that my recollection of a measuring system that I have not used for fifty or so years was correct.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

My Grandad and Gt Grandad had a timber business somewhere there, probably under the arches(?) in the 1920/1930s.  They went bust in the Great Depression.  The company was called Moss & Alvey, but sadly I have no other info. 

Oh thanks Ian, another piece of my family history discovered.  Great Grandad Alvey was a Manager in the timber trade up in Scunthorpe docks, certainly when my Granny was born in 1898. At some stage he moved the family back down to his roots in Nottingham and opened a Newsagents on Park Road, Lenton, just around the corner from Abbey Bridge. In 1916 his daughter, (my Granny) married my Grandad who was also in the timber trade so I suppose they thought it a good idea to start the business.  Tough times. 

• 3 weeks later...