Growing veg this year?

Anyone growing any fruit/veg this year?

Iv currently got aload of tomato plants growing well, just had to seperate them today into different pots because i have so many! Growing some straberries too. Planted some kiwi plant seeds & some sugar baby water melon seeds last week too. Gonna put the small green house back up n pop em all back in it at the weekend to get some humidity.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Watered & fed it 22 days not a tomato in sight?     

Started to gather and eat a few things. Just salad leaves and radishes so far but broad beans only a couple of days away. Runner beans if full flower in the greenhouse and dwarf beans flowering outsid

I gave up the idea of veg gardening years ago when my son and family took over the last 2 floors of our house that led out to the land at the back. We had an orchard and I started off every type of ve

I want to grow somesort of fruit/veg on my kitchen window sill too, i already grow parsley (for my guineapigs) & some basil that i havent yet used (Because i dont know what you put basil in/on...) is there anything else i can grow in a smallish pot that produces all year around?

..I havent gone mad, i didnt mean to have so many tomato plants, ill have to split some more and give them away. Just got them & some flowers growing in troffs and pots around my garden paths untill the garden is done & they'll be planted properly :) yay!

I'm hearing good reports on a variety of 'black' tomatoes a relative grew last summer. A little strange appearance-wise but extremely good flavour apparently.

Micks spot on, Basil is great with tomatoes, we always grow lots of tommies & invariably have more than we can eat!! My wife roasts the tomatoes (whole) in the oven with onions & lots of Basil + other herbs if you wish, then once cooked its all blended to make a lovely base for italian dishes bolognese, etc. can be frozen for later ues (we use plastic takeaway cartons)

It's also good for soups, your own version of tomato sauce or just (microwaved) straight over pasta for a quick lunchtime meal with crusty french bread & warm olive oil to dip the bread (flavour olive oil with chopped basil) & enjoy....................preferably with a nice Red wine................. slywink

Thats for that Paulus, ill now be making my own bolognese sauce, once they have grown! & some tommie soup, yumm. I was thinking about growing raddishes on the windowsill, do they preduce the salad once a year or all year round? i do love raddishes, eat a bag of mixed ones to myself last night, lovely jubly!

Just sprinkle radish seeds in a planter, & take them as they grow it'll only last 4-6 week season, after that they tend to go 'woody' if left to get too big

25zpm4i.jpg

My little pot of strawberries, with a troff of tomato plants & more in the purple pot. Never grown strawberries before, so fingers crossed they turn out and grow ok! :)

Quick question... Why do tomato plants stink so much? iv allways wondered that...

Reminds me of cat pee if im honest, mums growing mint & i love the smell of that, nothing like tomato plants lol

• 1 month later...

started off with that small tomato plant as pictured above, I popped it in the middle of a troff... it spread and filled it, so I took out a little off shooting plant and put it ib another troff... its spread and almost filled that one too! all leafy and bushy but no. strawberry's yet. iv been told to cut the plants right down n.leave the trimmings on top and cover with straw for over the winter period, apparently theyll grow again n produce a lot of fruit next year. confused though, my neighbour has a pot with a small strawberry plant in, about 3 or 4 leaves and aload of strawberrys, why have mine spread so much!? oooer.

Probably not enough Potassium in your soil. Try a balanced fertilizer to start with, such as Miracle Grow, which can be taken in by the plant leaves. Too late for Strawbs this season but if you get teh balance right you should have loads next year.

Not sure whether you are aware that you have too many tomato plants in your pot and trough. Think of a growbag. For best results a growbag will only hold two tomatoes; three at a pinch if you fertilize regularly with Tomorite.

aye iv used some fertilizer on the strawberrys a few times already. I allways grow tomatoes like that n seem to get quite a few, I have a few tomatoes growing at the moment :)

• 4 weeks later...

Allotment has gone berresk now getting 3-4lbs of beans a day.

Beetroot,turnips,spinach,cabbage & sweet corn all doing well.

Potatoes though are non too good this year & I may have to buy before Christmas instead of March time.

Now cropping Cucumber, Courgettes, cabbage, salads, cauliflower, beetroot and second early spuds. Herbs doing ok but tomatoes in the greenhouse a failure. Temperature fluctuations too great, plants all stunted and withered - mildew also a big problem this year. Many onions bolted to flower with odd warm days followed by near freezing days.

I gave up this year due to our severe drought, planted a row of corn which didn't do well even though heavily watered twice a day, plus my tomatoes just didn't get pollinated, seems with this drought we are short of bugs, I do have a few toms forming now, but it's been a flop.

In growing toms for 25 plus years, this has been my worst crop....

No, not tap water with chlorine in it either, mines pumped up from around 500 feet, fresh clean spring water.

Seems the corn harvest and soya bean harvest has failed, so watch out for higher food prices, wheats not done good this year on the big farms due to this drought.

The ones I grew got to around ten foot. They aren't hybrids though.

Tomato plants are massive and growing up the fence in the garden as i put some wide holed mesh up it and weaved the plants through, doing great and are about 4foot high now, got 12 med tomatos all still green, and loads of yellow flowers all over it. Also, strawberries have started to flower, was a nice suprise as i thought they wouldnt untill next year!

Only problem iv had is iv found a stink beatle having a wander around the biggest tomato, by the time i noticed him and flicked him off hed already had a nibble! But i havent found any other bugs of the sort since

I grew 12 tomatoes in pots outside this year (6 'Shirley' and 6 'Alicante') and, considering the pathetic 'summer' until of late, they are doing not bad at all. The plants are healthy enough and there's a reasonable crop bearing in mind the lack of sunshine. There will be a glut all at the same time though as they're late ripening.

I have no idea what toms im growing, but their already quite big but they dont seem to be going red just yet, so im assuming their going to be some sort of big tomato, Mine are grown in troffs and pots too. not doing bad at all considdering the 'summer' weve had.

Iv never made chutney before, but i think ill give it a bash, barely going to cost much so nothing to loose! & i dont mind, i have guineapigs, a baby and neighbours who'll help me get through em! :)