Growing veg this year?

Had a bumper crop last year and froze most of them. Still have some left in freezer. They make decent tomato base for chilli/pasta etc.. To freeze simply prick skins a few times and immerse in boiling water until skin begins to peel, usually just a few seconds. Remove peel and cool before apportioning into bags and freezing.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Watered & fed it 22 days not a tomato in sight?     

Started to gather and eat a few things. Just salad leaves and radishes so far but broad beans only a couple of days away. Runner beans if full flower in the greenhouse and dwarf beans flowering outsid

I gave up the idea of veg gardening years ago when my son and family took over the last 2 floors of our house that led out to the land at the back. We had an orchard and I started off every type of ve

Itd be an idea of making the sauce bases etc and then freezing in tubs too wouldnt it? i do that alot with baby's food, i freeze it in icecube trays, when shes having pasta .. i defrost a few of the sauce bases and then mix with pasta and mince meat.

• Upvote 1

Sounds like you don't nip the peripheral stems out Pixie, a must unless you want more growth than fruit.

My favourite toms are SUNGOLD. Small and fruity sweet tomatoes that seem to tolerate the climate up here better than most; have some in the tunnel and they are doing reasonably well considering. For a change my greenhouse toms this year were Ailsa Craig and they are not at all happy with the changes in temperature experienced this season.

Sounds like you don't nip the peripheral stems out Pixie, a must unless you want more growth than fruit.

Someone told me to do this, But i have no idea what they meant... What parts do i take off? Theres alot of growth but flowers and tomatos at the end of eat stem.

Im going to go round and do this tonight when it cools down a little, thankyou!

I wouldn't necessarily do it now, Pixie as they've been growing that way all season. Your tomato plants will have grown as bushes now, as opposed to a single cordon as is recommended above. I'd just tend to leave them and take what fruit you get off them.

• Upvote 1

Oh ok, fair point there. i shall leave them but at least now i know what to do next time.

... As were approaching winter, is there anything else i can grow through the colder months?

Some people prefer to just let them grow as bushes. You can also grow them that way in a hanging basket - 'Tumbler' variety or similar.

Sure others will be on here to tell you about 'winter' crops. some that come to mind are Japanese onions, Spring cabbages.

Here's a few:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/3350629/Top-10-vegetables-to-grow-over-winter.html#

I have the strawberries in a hanging basket at the moment, i cant wait to try them.. Apparently ones that produce late summer are sweeter and juicier, we shall see! & thank you, i shall check that out!

I have only about a dozen beans on the plants at present. I shall pick my first cauliflower of teh year this weekend. A Graffiti F!. A nice red cauli that usually does well where I live.

Just been given a big bag of runner beans fresh from an allotment a neighbor has.. Cant wait to have em for tea tonight with some fresh haddock & baby tatties, cant beat fresh veggies!

Speaking of veggies, i love trying new veg and fruit etc.. Can someone give me any ideas on hows best to have a fennel? i bought one today wanting to try something new.. Also, a packchoi (i think its called) stood out in the supermarket, didnt buy one though... Anyone know what you do with one?

Pak Choi is a Chinese vegetable and can be steamed or stir fried. The leaves can be used to wrap mince and stuff into parcels and then steamed until cooked. Serve as parcels with accompaniments. Don't have a specific recipe, sorry.

I found a recipe for fennel the otehr day but I can't remember where I saw it - doh! You'll find plenty of recipes on the internet though.

I'll post a picture of my purple cauliflowers tomorrow.

-----

Just had a quick look: Type Fennel recipes into Google and loads come up. Loads for Pak Choi too.

Ooh i wasnt after recipe's.. just ideas on what people thought its best like, i think im going to give it a go roasted at the weekend though. I didnt know what a pak choi actually was, but i do alot of fresh stir fri's so i think ill add one of those into my nest one, thankyou!

You can chew them "yersen" too!! You find them in high fibre breakfast cerials.

Loving the purple cauliflour! what do they taste like? i wonder if you can get um from the supermarket.. ill have to keep my eyes peeled!

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't seen them for sale Pixie. They are very easy to grow though and taste great.

Will have to have a go growing these when i finally move house! Where can you buy the seeds?