• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"Stag & Pheasant, first pub I ever went in Christmas Eve 1944 aged 16, ten of us all family walked home along Manvers St.,/ Meadow Lane arm & arm across the road singing carols!

The posts re the Globe/Greyhound and the old Arkwright Street School and their various links brought back memories of London Road back in the 50s: 1. Coming out of town at night over the London Roa

The water behind Hooters is still there and doesn't show up on many maps, but I've found one where it does appear. Looking at this it could be either the Tinker's Leen (see on the left) or a branch of

• 1 year later...

I went past that incident yesterday afternoon, quite a tail-back. I saw what must have been at least a dozen emergency vehicles parked up on the island. But no, didn't see Clarkson about though!

I drove by the car wash and saw all the police vehicles outside. My first thought was that it was an immigration raid on the car wash as they all seemed to be foreign workers when I had my car done a while ago. It turned out to be a nasty incident and makes you wonder if there is a war starting in the car wash business.

Car wash? we've had this car for 18 months & it's been through the car was once. :)

The car we had before we put through the car wash two or three times in ten years.

Both cars are/were silver & don't seen to show the muck. ;)

• 7 months later...

Pub crawl would start at The Town Arms,over the road to The Stag and Pheasant, up to General Gordon,( great pint),down to The Greyhound, into Boots social,any mates in there?,Town Arms for the juke box,then relax for a few in the Trent Bridge Inn.

Thanks cliff, if walls could talk!!, the lorry park for Boots near Poplar st. backed onto the rear entrance to the Stag...i , in working hours on a hot day used to sneak over with a huge jug and fill it with bitter..then sup it by the canal at lunchtime with me sarnies!!

Bubblewrap if we started at The Fox, The Hand Inn,Tavern in the Town,Peach Tree,Turf Tavern,Parliament House,Blue Bell,Coach & Horses,Corner Pin,Dog & Partridge, Old Dog & Partridge, Central Market,Newmarket , Jaceys, Castle,Stag,Gordon,Greyhound... fill in the gaps..I'm pissed!!

We tried a city centre pub crawl, Parliament street being the limit to the north, half a pint in each pub, Fri, Sat and Sunday nights, three weeks on the trot, and still never managed every pub, and that was start out at the TBI at 7-00pm and finsih up at the TBI for last pint.

I've heard of fellers I worked with in the 60's who tried the Parliament street pub crawl, couldn't be done in one night.