• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"Stag & Pheasant, first pub I ever went in Christmas Eve 1944 aged 16, ten of us all family walked home along Manvers St.,/ Meadow Lane arm & arm across the road singing carols!

The posts re the Globe/Greyhound and the old Arkwright Street School and their various links brought back memories of London Road back in the 50s: 1. Coming out of town at night over the London Roa

The water behind Hooters is still there and doesn't show up on many maps, but I've found one where it does appear. Looking at this it could be either the Tinker's Leen (see on the left) or a branch of

I suppose Clyde st. disappeared in the early 70's? Looking at Dave's photo ,to the right..the galvanised has gone up..a sign that Watts demolition was on it's way,configuration a little different, but reminding me of The Robert Peel on Manvers st, Pennyfoot st.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
9 hours ago, hodg99 said:

Did the pub keep running as a pub until demolition?

I believe so. I drove past it quite often in its later days and wondered where its customers came from because there wasn't much housing left in the surrounding area.

18 hours ago, hodg99 said:

I worked at the Stag and Pheasant pub in 1982.  I remember it was run by a husband and wife and unfortunately the husband was very ill.

Did the pub keep running as a pub until demolition?

In the 80’s it was John and Lorraine Yellop. I was at Forest Fields with John and used to row with him. I lost touch after school but heard through a mutual friend he was terminally ill and running this pub.

"Stag & Pheasant, first pub I ever went in Christmas Eve 1944 aged 16, ten of us all family walked home along Manvers St.,/ Meadow Lane arm & arm across the road singing carols!

• Like 4

In 1944 that version of the Stag & Pheasant must've been a fairly new building. It was on the curve of Lower Parliament Street which was only extended down there in the late 30s.

There was an earlier version of the S & P which was demolished when Parliament Street went through the area.