A great day in Aviation History :-))

I cashed in my prize on Wednesday and Rog and I went over to RAF Scampton for a base tour, it wasn't looking too promising either weather or Red Arrows wise, the latter being delayed in Bournemouth due to the weather. That said we still decided to "Do what we do best" and enjoy a quick 'bat round' to RAF Waddington

7167156841_1e527f395c_b.jpg

7352367496_f2198cc431_b.jpg

Coningsby

7352368034_3036cdfd32_b.jpg

7352368992_5950f20f55_b.jpg

7167156393_bb63f26b84_b.jpg

Over lunch I got the good news that I was aiting for, they should be home at half 2 !!

7352388698_74545a9195_b.jpg

Touring the base was facinating, for instance, a Red Arrows Hawk only carries enough dye to make smoke for 4 minutes and it costs 4 grand a time !!

I was busy taking shots of various bits of history when it came on the scanner ...... "Smoke on .....GO " and we were treated to a "Private" fly past and a 'Break to land'

7352370308_b1dae77b29_b.jpg

7167160983_6fb528145a_b.jpg

7352373084_7eb7cbac24_b.jpg

7352373452_4485eecfc4_b.jpg

After we watched them park up and the pilots departed for their 'debrief' we got on with the visit to the rest of the base.The museum is a 'Work in progress' but it should be very good when it's finished

7167155073_26e5b20f42_b.jpg

7352382328_22164fca7b_b.jpg

7167169199_d212143ff3_b.jpg

How long has Wayne Rooney been a 'Red Arrows' pilot ??

7167168585_1c55e4c389_b.jpg

7352381820_98226d827b_b.jpg

7167178249_0e2a163d48_b.jpg

7167176399_530336e367_b.jpg

7167173611_7596a881cc_b.jpg

7352388864_3bf13e53a2_b.jpg

Many thanks to all who made it possible.

And a special thanks to Rog (Plantfit) for doing the driving. I've never seen anybody with such a grin of satisfaction on their face as there was on his after the tour .

Not in the original it hasn't. It will be if ever the remake is made. (Digger or sommat like it , so I heard)

I must be mis informed then on that,

For some reason I can remember someone telling me that?

Was there a book or TV program where his dog was renamed?

It's the remake (Being penned by Stephen Fry, and directed by Peter Jackson in New Zealand) all the props are in place, including 3 life size Lancasters , with electric motors , that could actually take to the air ! I think the delays started when somebody ordered a script rewrite and all sorts of Pooh hit the occilator, but don't quote me on that.

By the way , "Red tails" the story of the Tuskagee airmen , which I comented on months ago , has finally been released at the cinema over here !! (Only 5 months after the USA !) I've already watched it twice on DVD !!!!!!!

They're all in post 4 , just click through them.

Apparently the model was just left out side the gate at RAF Scampton some time ago , noboby knows anything else about it !!

At least two to my knowlege.

There's also been quite a few Dracula films too !!

What a great day we had, I can just remember parts of the Dambusters film such as the theme music, the odd picture of the Lancaster planes and the breached dams water plume (those who have seen the film will know what I'm on about) ever since that visit to the Grove picture house down the Meadows all those years ago with my Dad (probably 55/56 year) I have had some sort of ambition to visit some sort of connection to the Dambusters, I am furtunate enough to work on the old airfield where the Dambuster squadron (617) went after the dams raid and carried out many important raids from this airfield, the giant Grandslam and Tallboy bombs to name two, the reason for this waffle on about the Dambusters is after the visit to RAF Scampton and in particular the office block where Guy Gibson and his squadron lived and played and the very thought provoking visit and quiet few moments in front of Niggers well tended grave has fullfilled a lifelong ambition/achievement for me and all my thanks go to Ian (Beefsteak) for giving me the opportunity to accompany him on this visit

Rog

• Upvote 1

Glad you enjoyed it Rog , although I knew it at the time, seeing as how you had a smile wider than the confluence of the Trent and the Humber !!........................LOL

It really was a great day, and I'm pretty sure I can organize another for a few more of us, (Seeing as how I've let them use my photo for the "Help for Heroes calender", and another of my shots has been borrowed by RIAT for their programme for this years show !!)

Not too bad for someone who knows nothing about his camera equipment, or how to use it, and the best way to store his data, but then again, I live in the real world . (Did I tell you that he fishing season started 3 hours and 38 minutes ago ??

• Upvote 1

One for Phil Box

Scampton201239.jpg

Can't tell you more than Ian really cept it's about 8 feet long, made of sheet aluminium, I think the museum has a website, I'll try and find it for you and post on here if any good to you

Rog