Penny Cake Shop Holgate Road/Beauvale Rd

polkadot.......................The subject of the Portland Baths/Laundy has been discussed before on this Forum and there are several threads about it.

Try these for starters....The video in the first thread will be of special interest:-

http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10662&hl=portland#entry157536

http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9224&page=2

• 6 months later...

Amazing to find these threads about the Portland Baths which I remember we were bussed to from school....

polkadot.......................The subject of the Portland Baths/Laundy has been discussed before on this Forum and there are several threads about it.

Try these for starters....The video in the first thread will be of special interest:-

http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10662&hl=portland#entry157536

http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9224&page=2

And it's astonishing the building still exists...

portlandbaths.jpg

The 'sweet tooth' experience I recall from trips here involved classic childhood confectionery esp. sherbert fountains - there must have been a sweet shop nearby. I have the clearest recollection of being in the Portland Baths with a sherbert fountain and trying to make my mind up whether to be patient and try and suck the sherbert up through the liquorice straw, or just to 'bugger it', pull out the straw, tip the sherbert into my gob, and then eat the liquorice. I'm pretty sure I did the latter.

Speaks volumes for my lifestyle that this is my only recollection of the swimming expeditions - don't remember the swimming at all!!!!

• 3 years later...

Hello people, is anyone still posting on this site? - I just happened to come across it.

I was born on Holgate Road in 1967, my parents still live inthe house I was born in.

I know, having grown up in the Meadows, so much about it, and it makes me smile you 

people talking about and reminiscing old people who once lived there. (I left in 1998, and moved down South)

I actually worked in Toulson’s Butchers/Bakery on a Saturday morning between 1982-84 (dear old Fred paid me £2 for a morning’s work). Minimum wage never existed in those days 

My old man was a regular in the Sherbrooke until it closed done 25 years ago - he used to sit in the ‘Best Room’, which you got on in Beauvale Road door. Fred & Mavis owned the pub and my man was the pub cleaner 7 days a week for about 26 years

Anyway, if anyone wants to chat - contact me on: 

I’m sure I could add some relevant info - even though I’m probably a lot younger than you lot on here :-)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Nowt wrong with being yound Spencer, we was once,     thumbsup

Rog

By the way, I spent a lot of my very younger years in that bakery,my grandfather worked there for a time, particularly remember the long ovens and bread being scooped out of them useing a long paddle shaped thingy

Welcome to Nottstalgia, Spencer.  I hope you'll keep posting about your memories of Nottingham and anything else that is important to you.

My grandad was a baker and confectioner who lived in the Meadows (on Barnsley Terrace), my mam tells me he was a good friend on mr Timpson who owned the bakery on the corner of Beauvale Road, and used to help him with his work

Can any of you remember Aiscough’s the confectioner and sweet shop on the corner of Woolmer Road and Holgate Road - there was also a sweet shop owned by Mr & Mrs Rooney at the other end of Holgate Road & corner of Mundella Road, (opposite the Laundrette).

The butchers on the corner of Holgate & Wilford Grove was Mr Jowett & his 2 sons - one of the best butchers in Nottingham!

I have so many memories of that wonderful Road, it was a hive of activity on a Saturday morning - now all the shops and community are gone - the only shop left is the off licence (known as the Beer-off) on the corner of Holgate & Glapton

Does anyone on here still live in the Meadows, as I mentioned before, my folks still live on Holgate Road, they’re the last survivors from the 1960’s (my mam grew up on Waterway Terrace, and my dad grew up on Cliff Road in the Lace Market)

Corner of Wilford grove and Holgate road, my grandparents lived in that house,above and at the bck of the shop (which I think was a co op back when I were a nipper, my sister was born in that upstairs bedroom, at the back of the house was a stable block that my grandfather used as a workshop, only ever saw him make little footstools bless him, I spent many an hour in there with Sue the border collie

P1050430.jpg

Rog

• Like 1

Rog, that shop in the 70’s was a hardware shop run by a husband and wife - 2 little folk - I never saw anyone buy anything from it, but it was one of the last shops to go - it was bang opposite Collygate School which i went to as a young kid - I went Ryeland Cresent Nursery before that, then later on went to Trent Bridge and finally Roland Green in Wilford - left school in 1984.

Can you remember the red telephone box on the corner of Wilford Grove diagonally oppisitevtgat ships in your photo - I still believe there’s one still there, but it’s no longer a red box - the Morgan family lived in the house next to it bang opposite the school?

• Like 1

Spencer, I started school at Collygate when I was five years old, that would be back in 1957,I think I managed the first hour before I escaped and went to my grandparents for the rest of the day, never forgot the smell of that school, a mixture of chalkdust and paper towels,

Rog

• Like 1
On 8/31/2014 at 5:10 PM, Tony said:

The butchers shop was indeed Tolsons. The owner was called Fred. He used to work in the shop with his wife.

On the other side of the road was a green grocers which in the 1970s was owned by a Mr Lander.

Further down Holgate road / Woolmer road was a Mrs Samuels and opp her a Mrs Gill. Opp Mrs Gill was another green grocers owned by Mr Clarke ( father of Arthur and Mick Clark who went to TB school )

Happy memories!

Kind regards,

Tony

That corner shop on the corner of Wilford Crescent was run by a West Indian guy with his wife - Leo & Mavis - he was a scary guy, but it was a fascinating shop to go in as a young kid, lots of West Indian food on sale there 

• Like 1

IAN123.

That corner shop on the corner of Wilford Crescent & Holgate was run by a West Indian guy with his wife - Leo & Mavis - he was a scary guy, but it was a fascinating shop to go in as a young kid, lots of West Indian food on sale there 

• Like 1

Spencer, I just noticed that you have revealed your email address in one of your earlier posts. This is a very unwise thing to do as it invites all sort of undesirables to contact you.

It would be advisable to ask admin to remove this detail.