After a fairly happy early school life I detested the senior school I went to. I hated the way we were treated, spent most of my time trying to escape from it and ended up up leaving pretty well empty-handed.

I ended up with a BA (Hons) in Psychology and Educational Development and a Masters Degree in Psychology (not to mention a City and Guilds in Printing).

I'm glad I was able to prove them wrong.

To be honest Stu as for proving them wrong i dont think they gave a Sh1t.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ben, my Dad refused to go to High Pavement in, I suppose, 1932.  Same reason as yours, he was passionate about football and knew he’d have to play rugby at HP.  His parents didn’t intervene and he wen

Reckon we right carnie..............after all it was'nt too long after Margie was clinging on to me on back of me scooter

Good guess, Jill, but the other two are correct...   how DO they do it!    I wonder what did become of that scooter, Ben....  probably fell into ruin (like the rest of us)

visited one of my elderly teachers for several months as she lived very near the collage i was studying at for my b tec nursery nursing course . by this time i was almost 45 years old and had gone back to studying in my 40s she was well in her eighties but remembered me and many of the other girls from the school . she was surprized and pleased that i had made a good life for myself and had decided at this late stage of my life to go and get myself some formal qualifications. and we would sit and talk about the school and my collage and was very supportive in my last few months at colage she always made me coffee and a sandwich when i visited her too. sadly shedied not long after i had finished my course.

These old teachers are greatly missed today.

I bet she was not averse to dishing out some punishment to those who deserved it.

babs, can you imagine the pleasure and comfort you gave your elderly teacher because of your meetings. I would imagine that it was a very special time for her and that she'd enjoy having a sandwich and coffee whilst having a nice chat to her ex-pupil. I'm so pleased that she met up with you again and saw the success you'd made of your life.

this particular teacher had a bad motorcycle accident when she was young that killed her fiance and she never married or had children of her own she had damaged her eyelids in this accident and had very thin eyelids and could see with her eyes closed and even if her back was turned she always knew exactally who was talking and whould throw a piece of chalk onto the desk of that person if they were talking in low voices but if someone got really loud she would throw the board rubber onto there desk and the chalk whould go all over them i never saw her make a mistake in who that person was or her hit them or any one else in the process but it soon brought all the class into attention. i always concidered her to be firm but fair as did most of the girls i have spoken to about her and she was very well remembered. i first went to visit her after i organized a school reunion and she read about it in the post she phoned me to say she would loved to have come and met some of the old girls but was not fit enough to do so four of us brought her some flowers and went to visit her and she phoned me after to say thank you and invited me to visit her again. this was the start of my little visits to her for a few months.

:) Lovely story Babs, happy ending.

In senior school I recall writing a composition with the title: 'Teachers Are Only Human'. I'm pleased to say I was awarded 10/10 and my story was included in the school's annual magazine.

PS: My story was inspired by following a teacher down to the bus stop, a packet of 'Rice Krispies' was in her shopping bag!

I remember getting a Gold star 10 out of 10 but the teacher said he would hold on to it as he was sure i would loose it by the end of the day.

Then he called some of the guys up to get the morning strap me included when i asked what for he said thats for later.

being at an all girls school with all female teachers pysical punishments were few and far between put if they did happen the whole school soon knew about it. i think i could count on one hand it happening in the four years i was there. but having brothers and many male friends at all boys school now this was not the case for them more of an every day event for them and many of the male treaches sounded as if they really enjoyed it and any little excuse would do to get out the cane or slipper.i know dave went to cotto boys and remembers some of the teachers giving there chosen weapon a name tickle toby a slipper was one i have heard him talk about.

• 3 years later...

#21 I am enjoying reading older threads and the posts on this one are so interesting. Loppylugs it is lovely to hear about your organ lessons. Our son is an organist and I love to hear him play. Learning is a lifetime process. A few years ago I joined the Church choir as a "beginner" as our choir director is very inclusive. She spent time with a group of adults teaching us how to read music. It was amazing when I began to realise it is based on maths.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 years later...

I've just found a school group photo of myself on the Carlton le Willows Facebook page - I've changed over the last 60 years (obviously) but can those who have met me,  find where I am?

IMG_4389.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Reckon we right carnie..............after all it was'nt too long after Margie was clinging on to me on back of me scooter:rolleyes:

• Like 3

Good guess, Jill, but the other two are correct...   how DO they do it!    I wonder what did become of that scooter, Ben....  probably fell into ruin (like the rest of us)

• Like 3

Yes, Lizzie, you'd have been a little first former when I was a grown up lower sixth former!  Now I feel old...

• Like 1

Not a Scooby Liz............mind you i do recognise some of the others.......Jane,,Mary and Valerie..........

Likewise Margie ! Spot on I reckon.