• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ben, my Dad refused to go to High Pavement in, I suppose, 1932.  Same reason as yours, he was passionate about football and knew he’d have to play rugby at HP.  His parents didn’t intervene and he wen

Reckon we right carnie..............after all it was'nt too long after Margie was clinging on to me on back of me scooter

Good guess, Jill, but the other two are correct...   how DO they do it!    I wonder what did become of that scooter, Ben....  probably fell into ruin (like the rest of us)

The one on your right then ?

• Like 1

Second row down, extreme right, or third row down, second  from the right.

Shall I ask for a big ladder to enable me to extricate myself from this big hole ?

• Like 1

I was just going to suggest that fly, funniest thing on the forum today mate, keep him squirming lizzie, lol

• Upvote 1

A looker even then eh Ben ?

• Like 1

dgbrit

CITY  & GUILDS was brought in by Commerce and Industry, the standards  are set by Industry lead body that include representatives of employers, trade unions, and professional  groups. The standard's  then package into qualifications by awarding bodies like City & Guilds, RSA, and Be tec. NVQ- National Vocational Qualifications.  these were brought in later and again as said! City & Guilds set out the criteria for the NVQ they said what they framework should be for each industry. Once approved they become part of the NVQ.  NVQ  LEVEL 1 basic NVQ 2 more training NVQ 3 advanced NVQ4 management. 

NVQ were a little different to the old City & Guilds where after so many years you had to take an exam if you failed you had to wait and learn more before you could retake your exam. NVQ were done by evidence written, verbal or photos, the course NVQ 1,2,3,4 was  assessed all the way though, the year although there was a small exam at the end of each year. I  believe that has now changed again the student can pick out which modules  they want to do.

Jill, I don't think she was there when I was.... Lizzie, do you know her name?

On 7/23/2018 at 6:37 AM, Jill Sparrow said:

Who is the teacher, third row up, second from the right, wearing glasses, on the second photo? She looks somehow familiar?

Only just seen this Jill and have had to ‘Phone A Friend’ to find out, even though I remember her I couldn’t for the life of me remember her name.   She is/was Miss V Sawtell and taught English.  

I never took my 11+, i knew they did'nt play football at High Pavement,,and having played for City boys just naturally thought i'd be a Pro footballer (how wrong can you be) so didnt need to take 11+ to fulfill my dream.

Then at Padstow sec.mod. my football dream carried on,,can never remember 'O' levels even being discussed,,think your Parents had to push the school for them.........remember one lad,,who was very clever and studios,,suddenly leaving for High Pavement at 13,about 1958,the next time i saw him he was on TV being interviewed about the Birmingham pub bombings 80s i think,,he was a Forensic Scientist,, then the next time i bumped into him he had an Office in Bulwell next door to mine in 2003,,when i first saw him thought he looked familiar then few days later asked him,, ''i'm sure i know you from somewhere ?''      Yes you do,we were at Henry Whipple and Padstow together''..you were very good at sport wer'nt you'' modestly admitted 'yes i was' lol,.....saw him for several months after this,,apart from 'hello or good morning'' that was the limit of our conversation,,he was a really nice chap but very introvert.

Really made me think of the different paths our lives had taken,,envied him in some ways for what he had achieved,,but in other ways i did'nt,, he lived on Leybourne and had a twin,,Trogg and Col might remember him,,i won't mention his name on here,if he saw it i'm sure he would'nt like it........

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Not who I thought. Looks a bit like an English teacher at the dreaded Manning!

Could be the same woman Jill, this photo was taken in 1964, many years before you went to Manning smile2

She may have found herself a chap by then and a different surname. 

Ben, my Dad refused to go to High Pavement in, I suppose, 1932.  Same reason as yours, he was passionate about football and knew he’d have to play rugby at HP.  His parents didn’t intervene and he went to Cottesmore Secondary and played football. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Same with my Parents Lizzie........they just wanted me to be happy........and they succeeded    lol

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, LizzieM said:

She may have found herself a chap by then and a different surname. 

Hmm. Unlikely Lizzie. Don't think she'd have found a chap but there were rumours among the girls that she WAS a chap! Nuff said :blink:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 4 months later...

Passed the 11+, but Grammar school didn't do much for me.  Passed  Art 'O' level - and that was it...  Dad insisted I keep doing Maths and English at night school at my expense, until I passed.  Passed.

However, at 25, took the Prison Service (Civil Service)  promotion exam and came 6th in the country - but never got called for promotion, too young!

In 1977, studied at the Harry Mitchell College of Work study, Beeston and then took the Institute's professional exams and passed. If something has a practical application, rather than theoretical, then it is easier to be interested.  School was too full of theoretical stuff that even the teachers had no idea what use it was.  Learned far more of real value from Scouts and Senior Scouts.

Taught Industrial Productivity at Tech College and University (part time) for 12 years, whilst running my own consultancy and private courses - and got paid for writing magazine articles for three motoring magazines.

If anyone has read the book about Arnold County High School,  'A School Is Born' written by the first headmaster, Dr J H Higginson, I am updating the book I wrote to counter it, but as yet, unpublished.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Obviously much cleverer than me passing 11+. Really depressing being sectioned. Only made Robert Mellors S Modern, a real dump of a school in Arnold. No other from Mapperley Plains attended. R Mellors had a photographic department of which I became interested in and eventually made a career. None grammar school pupils were supposed to be the electricians, carpenters, plumbers or metal workers. (a very good living today) 

• 1 year later...

I did the same as you loppylugs did the day release at PCFE got the EMEU east midlands education union and C and G emmigated to Canada challenged the Journeyman exam for mechanics and passed also studied for industrial millwright which i got a Journey certificate the millwright pay is much better than a motor mechanic still millwrighting today.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I was at Henry Mellish Boys' Grammar School in Bulwell from 1951 to 56.  It was a county grammar which meant it drew students from a fairly wide area - in my case Eastwood.  It's funny how few stayed on to do 'A' levels and go to university.  I passed 7 'O' levels (though French was a bit of a squeak!) and continued my education on day release and night school taking both C&G (Telecoms) and ONC/HNC (Electronics).

Just wondered if there are any former Mellish students on here?

I started at Mellish in 1954 and stayed on to do A levels in the 6th form as did most of my year. I also took 7 a-levels and then 3 A levels in the sciences. Initially I became chartered accountant but subsequently reverted to engineering, amongst many other things, when I ran a manufacturing company for my final 25 years.

T