• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My thoughts, for what they’re worth (particularly as I am a Nottingham City Council taxpayer).   The way that the high street has gone in recent years we certainly don’t need a second large shopp

Sad the Wimpy Bar has gone..dated a Tracey from up Rise Park at the Vic Centre one...upstairs.jonab mentioned the Maid Marian Way branch..and that was my fave..the ketchup filled plastic tomatoes..rem

You can just spot the Sawyers arms.  

Broad Marsh has been a bit of a disaster for most of its life. I remember it when it first opened and it was busy with all the shop units occupied. That lasted until about the mid 80s, then it started to slide. It's increasingly been a ghost town for the past 15-20 years. If you like Pound Shops it is heaven; if you want anything else you'll be lucky.

As Babs said, it is now owned by Capital Shopping Centres who also own Vic Centre. For many years before that, it was owned by Westfield who have many centres around the country - including Derby. Every year Westfield would announce plans for re-developing Broad Marsh, showing artists impressions of how it was going to look and telling everyone how wonderful it was all going to be; and every year it never happened, so that no stores would commit themselves to taking any shop units within the centre because they didn't know what was going to happen.

The biggest empty space in there is the space which started life as the Co-op. They pulled out after about 10 years and it was then occupied by Allders who didn't last long. Then TKMaxx had it for a few years until they got fed up and went to Trinity Square. It's been boarded up ever since.

I worked as an Electrician on the New Broadmarsh Coop store when it was built between 1973-1974.

It about bankrupt the Greater Nottingham Coop, and I was made redundant in 1975.

We went on strike for more money.

I remember the German shopfitters laughing..

"Grossa Brittania, Alles Striken" or summat :)

Going into town tomorrow to get the hair done, So might have to drag someone out to come meet me for a coffee & a muffin in the little coffee place in broadmarsh, Might have a wonder around some of the discount shops there too. Ill be sure to spray myself as i leave in the fear of catching flea's though! lol

Lol i was joking! I love finding little treasures in those discount shops

I suppose so, so just to clarify to anyone else reading, i was joking about the flea business because of how we was discussing how its abit 'empty' its getting. & i shall apologise to anyone who took offence.

But yeah, Will prob go in, stock up on my cleaning products (99p store is amazing for cleaning products, all top brands too!) & have a wander round.

... I was just thinking to myself too, if broadmarsh was stripped and redone completely.. or nocked down, i think i will remember it most for its glass lifts! There the only lifts that im not scared of being in haha. Anyone else have that sence of panic when their in a lift on their own?

It's not so much the fleas,be careful buying cheap cleaning products,read the contents of the product.

Some cleaning aids and toothpaste,were condemned over here,they were from South Africa.

Thats something i never think of doing Mudgie! I tend to buy brand name products only when it comes to cleaning things because i worry what chemicals have been slapped in otherwise, The 99p shop also stocks johnsons baby stuff, bubble bath, shampoo so its ideal. Although ill be carrying it all back via bus, itll give my arms a good work out lol!

Now youv said that, ill make a habbit of checking. Its something iv started to do with food and drink when i go shopping now too. Thankyou for that

You are allowed to buy South African stuff now that Apartheid has finished <g>

• Upvote 1

I'm behind you on that one Bubblewrap,I still avoid buying goods imported from S E Asia,huge profits being made from 'child labour'.

Some big companies involved with this practice, 'no names no pack drill'.

Maybe Compo has traveled this neck of the woods,30 years since I was there.

• 4 weeks later...

iv never really looked at where my fruit n veg is from, I buy a lot of the 'kids pack's of bananas as their small enough for Paige to have herself, I buy organic when I can too but a lot my veg like carrots are all shops own unless I buy from my friends allotment.

Never grow carrots or parsnips on manure it makes the ground too rich and the crop will grow deformed.

The carrots will be at best forked & the parsnips will look like a tennis ball with roots

I try to grow my carrots/parsnips on ground that has not been manured for at least two years.

Also try and get your soil stone free "if" you can.

But if you are growing swede or turnips then manure the ground.